Papaver Somniferum Pictures.

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well drained soil is great, but not too dry. pH should be neutral to slightly acid.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

No body would give a second thought to the P somniferum plants growing in abudance in this little corner of our neighbouhood. Those things self sow like wild fire. I have gone to the extent of cutting off the seed pods before they mature just to make things more manageble. It the RCMP would like to get rid of them from our neighbourhood, I would welcome them with open arms. They will do me the favour of removing one more pesky weed from my list of garden enemies.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

One person's beautiful flower is another's weed. I wonder if somewhere in the world someone grows the dandelion as a flower- just a passing thought.
    Durgan.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I saw an ad for dandelions through a herb company. A french variety for in salads.
    Carol Ja

5. pod

pod Member

read it again.

further up the list is says

but not the following (not an exact quote)

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

In a thread that's over two dozen posts long, it'd be helpful if you used the "quote" button to reply to the specific post. And if you are referencing the Controlled Substances Act, it'd also be helpful to quote that section. It'd be much appreciated - thanks.

7. Durgan

8. Durgan

http://xrl.us/nuoo

http://xrl.us/nuoo
    2 July 2006 Papaver Somniferum Poppy ( Danish Flag) A very pretty delicate flower. Note the vegetation. It is quite different from the typical poppy.
    Durgan.

9. Durgan

http://xrl.us/n6k7

http://xrl.us/n6k7

4 July 2006

A differenrt Danish Flag. The flag in the center is black instead of white. Compare the first two pictures. Normally the center cross is white. Just an observation.

Durgan.

10. Plants from the papaver genus HATE to be transplanted....
    You will never get anything by transplanting them...
    Just sow seeds where you want them to grow and they will, you don't even have to add compost or anything, they grow anywhere...full sun, part-shade, ....

11. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Some people misunderstand the legislation.

It is legal to possess the seeds. But that does not say that it is legal to grow the plants.

The reasoning that is presumably implicit in some people's thinking is this. It is legal to have seeds. Seeds have no purpose but to grow plants. It would be absurd if it was legal to buy the seeds but not legal to put them to their sole purpose, and parliament does not legislate absurdities. Hence, although the statute does not explicitly say so - indeed, it explicitly says the contrary - growing them into poppies, and therefore possession of poppies, must be legal.

There are two basic flaws in this reasoning. The first is that Parliament does not normally legislate absurdities, but if it does, then it does; end of matter. But the really basic error lies in the statement that the seeds have no purpose except to be germinated and grown. In fact their main use is in cooking.

You can understand the legislation easily in light of that fact: poppy seed is used in cooking, and we do not want to stop its use in that context, so we do not prohibit its possession; but we do not want it put to any other use - or at least, we do not want it used to grow poppy plants - and so we prohibit possession of the poppy itself. No inconsistency at all: the statute means what it says.

Why the RCMP have their famous opium poppy patch, and why everyone in town sells the seeds for growing purposes, is of course a different matter: it is not because growing is illegal, it is because the anti-growing law is not enforced.

A traditional Canadian solution: prohibit something and then fail to enforce the prohibition. Label it hypocrisy or common sense as you wish.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not limited to Canada, as the plants have been illegal here since 1969 yet were still being offered in nurseries last time I looked a few years ago (or less).

13. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

Durgan did you direct sow the Danish Flag and if so when, or did you start inside. This is new seed for me this year. Thanks.

Les

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You want to sow these in place. They grow larger planted in the ground and come up readily.

15. I don't know if anyone else pointed this out but crack IS NOT made from opium or any type of derrivitive or synthesis, crack is simply backing soda and cocaine.

Just thought I'd point that out :D:D

Jones Jones.

...Ahem, 5 years later...