Best Fertilizer for Tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by flowercents, Jun 9, 2005.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

What is the best fertilizer for tomatoes grown in large planters? I like the slow release kind, but most of them are made for flowering plants, so would that be good for tomatoes as well?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Strictly speaking, it depends on what your potting mix was made from, what condition it is in now, and what minerals are in your water. However, a locally targeted product labelled for use on vegetables may be satisfactory. If you still have the bag or other source of information, and the potting mix was put in the planters recently (this year), also check to see if the mix came with fertilizer already added.

3. SRTech

SRTech Member

Well, I personally have had good sucess with Tomatoes Alive Plus, but I think does probably depend on how good your soil is as well.

4. Lance

Lance Member

I find that urine, as long as its not left out for too many days, is ideal. Not only do you produce it everyday, but it has a micronutrient balance that is unbeatable by modern chemistry. If you have a family, wow...you don't need to put anything else on your garden. Studies show that everyone puts out enough urine to feed all of their garden for the year. It can't sit for long though and for annuals it must be mixed with water at 5 parts water to 1 part urine. If it sits to long it starts exuding nitrogen as a gas into the atmosphere.
    Its worked for me and mine for the last 6 years. Though I do add, every 4 years, a fine spray of sea water. Sea water is lacking in nitrogen. For more info...see http://www.seaagri.com/docs/SeaEnergy.htm (for the sea water that is!).
    In lake'ch

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have to caution you on this one Lance. Human waste should not used on gardens. You run the risk of spreading diseases. Human urine contains very little urea anyway. Ditto for other carnivores and omnivores.

6. la-chicas-tres

la-chicas-tres Member

I was told to not use human waste as fertilizer because of the bacteria in the waste and not to allow dogs or cats to use the garden either. I am not sure about the urine I know it kills athletes foot if you use your own while in the shower but not on plants. Tomatoes love fish so while fishing if you catch a sucker or pea mouth type fish that isn't necessarily good for eating feed the garden..

7. la-chicas-tres

la-chicas-tres Member

Tomatoes need lots of calcium. When using potting soil they need a mixture of things potting soil,peatmoss, calcium enriched substances like bone meal and I like to add a dead fish its good fertilizer. If you find the tomatoes rotting from the bottom it is called blossum end rott just get some blossom end rott spray at you local hardware store and spray the blossoms when they come out this should take care of that. Tomatoes do better in garden soil as it is usually balanced better but the right mixture in a pot will do ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  8. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Alaska fish fertilizer makes a dried pellet form. I used that last year and had good result. I also water the plants with a seaweed fertilizer. I've heard about planting a fish at the bottom of the plant also. And I've add a handful of bone meal and epsom salt at the time of planting. Never had any blossom end rot. *knock on wood*

I wonder what would happen if I feed the plant with expired calcium pills? Hmmm....

9. banjobrian

banjobrian Member

Hi there human urine is perfectly safe to use as fertilizer,when it leaves the body it is actually sterile and can be used on open wounds,used weekly on the vegetable patch you will find it is as good as anything on the market and totally organic,the other form of human waste does contain bacteria and should be composted first,though on my travels around asia i saw this being used everywhere fresh,

10. JonboiAZ

JonboiAZ Member

Last year...i cleaned out my freshwater aquarium by vacuming the bottom. All the fishwaste in addition to sea salt made a wonderful impression on my plants.

11. greenarrow

greenarrow Member

I have found that the best fertilizer for tomatoes is rabbit manure. I use about half rabbit manure and half soil. At the top of the pot (last 2 inches or so) I use soil . This keeps the rabbie manure from growing mold. The best thing about rabbit manure is you can use it straight out of the rabbit.
    It will not burn and is high in calcium.
    If you cannot find rabbit manure well composted horse,cow ,goat, or chicken will also work. Be VERY carefull with chicken manure compost it well.