Acer palmatum 'JWW7 Brown sugar'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'JWW7 Brown sugar' is a new cultivar for me, although I have wanted it for a couple of years now, it has been difficult to find.
    It arrived this morning 9th October 2020 and I am very pleased with it already. As can be seen in the photos it has a very distinct colouration. I will post updates over the next few years as I assess it.

Attached Files:

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

This is a new one on me. Looks quite interesting actually. I love something a bit different.

3. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, it's been around for about 3 years, but not over here. Got mine from Esveld. Nice size as well, around 4ft.

4. Acerholic

28th October 2020 and this is why I bought JWW7 Brown sugar. Such gloss to the leaves!!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

7th November and this is my last photo of my new JWW7 Brown sugar fir 2020.
    I am very pleased with the shape of the leaves and colour. Let's see what next Spring brings.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

28th April 2022 and I cant believe I've not posted this one for nearly a couple of years. So here it is waking up.
    JWW7 Brown sugar April 28th 2022.JPG JWW7 Brown suger 28th April 2022.JPG

Dr. Green Thumb, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  7. Acerholic

11th June 2022 and my strangely named cultivar is in it's deep greens for Summer.
    JWW7 Brown Sugar 11th June 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just picked one of these up half price end of season at B&Q. It is a mass produced cutting grown plant from Holland, in around 3 or 4 litre size, not worth posting a picture at this stage, it has the tatty "end of the garden centre season" look.

I had a look at the website for the Dutch firm that owns and manages the plant breeders rights for this variety and there are a couple of tidbits of interesting information. Acer palmatum Brown Sugar (pbr) 'JWW7' | van Vliet New Plants The listed breeder is Jan-Willem Wezelenburg of the Netherlands so that explains where the "JWW7" comes from and this seems to be the original cultivar name, with Brown Sugar being used as the marketing name. The official name listed there, which seems to adhere to the naming rules, is:
    They also control the rights for 'JWW8' which is marketed as Butterscotch.

The site also lists sublicense holders and agents, including one in the USA, so will likely be available on the other side of the pond very soon, if not already.

Said on the website to be a strong grower and healthy, interested to know if that is the reality in the home garden?

9. Acerholic

Very interesting posting M and I can confirm it is a very strong grower. Not sure it's many peoples cup of tea tbh. Only had mine a couple of years, so still evaluating. At this is time the name Brown sugar sounds better than it looks. It does not stand out amongst others, if you know what I mean. But time will tell.

maf likes this.
  10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Let us know how you get on. How do you find the winter bark colour? Said to be one of the features on the newplants.nl website...

I will also add their description of this cultivar in case the link goes dead in the future:

11. Acerholic

Very rustic M, rather Oak like tbh.

maf likes this.