Acer palmatum 'Pixie'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Just one week later, Pixie is starting to put some of that colour where it belongs:

20220403 Pixie.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Mine is nearly there, but London beat me Lol.. lovely reds Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  3. Acerholic

4th April 2022 and after seeing @Xi-feng lovely Pixie yesterday, I wanted to show how mine is progressing. So here it is.
    Pixie April 2022.JPG
    A little behind London temperatures, but it's on the way...

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  4. Acerholic

9th May 2022 and my Pixie is well underway for another year. Looking like I might get some good growth this year as well.
    Pixie May 9th 2022.JPG Pixie May 9th 2022 (2).JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  5. Acerholic

20th May 2022 and a scaled down Pixie this year. But amongst the greens of other shrubs, I think it looks cute.
    Pixie May 20th 2022.JPG

6. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Quite a muted showing this year, which is interesting as I haven't moved it. Perhaps it'll colour up as we get into summer, or perhaps it's on a rest year?

20220528 Pixie.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Wonderful contrasts of reds though Xi. So if this is a rest, then I would be very happy.

Xi-feng likes this.
  8. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Pixie is also growing like crazy this year. Has some nice fiery red new growth. One of my favorites.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  9. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

I have a space in my garden that I was going to plant a Lileeanne's Jewel in.... but out nursery shopping (always) I found a really nice 5ft tall columnar Pixie.

I didn't buy it but I honestly feel it would fit the space nicely, its fairly close to a Mikawa too.

What should I do? Lileeanne's Jewel is a SUPER STAR I was hoping to plant but I just feel like Pixie would fit the space better but it's a fairly standard looking red, nothing that gets my heart racing....

10. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

For me it would depend on what you have already. I try not to have many similar trees. I love Pixie for its form and spring color mostly. I would choose whichever you like best and would fit that spot.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  11. Connor Sullivan

Honestly, I think the texture of Pixie and Mikawa would really complement each other. The have a similar compact look, and the green and red would look good. Pixie also would fit the space much better, its a tiny little peninsula surrounded by rocks.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and MapleMO like this.
  12. Acerholic

I think Pixie would do very nicely there Connor. It is OK in full sun also .
    Lileeanne's Jewel is a far faster grower and would fill out that corner very quickly and you would need to prune it often. But it is a beautiful cultivar.
    So IMO either would be great, but your thoughts on Pixie is probably best and would contrast nicely with what you already have.

maf and Connor Sullivan like this.
  13. Connor Sullivan

Pixie has been acquired and planted!

From left to right: Mikawa, Pixie, Mikawa, Mayday, Japanese Princess, Mikazuki. Shirazz and Osakazuki off in the background. :)

Definitely feeling lucky to have such great access to nice trees here in Oregon!

IMG_1713.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Xi-feng, MapleMO and Acerholic like this.
  14. Acerholic

5th May 2023 and my Pixie was moved last Autumn to give it more sun and to give a better contrast with the yellow of my euonymus.
    PXL_20230504_150717328.jpg

AlainK and wcutler like this.