Greetings! Any idea for my tiny area of land?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by balipupa, Sep 1, 2022.

1. balipupa

balipupa New Member

Greetings to all of you,

I am from Indonesia, I am blind in gardening, plants things. So, please kindly help me.
    I have a tiny unused space in my home 4x4m (tiny isn't it), do you guys have any ideas what kind of tree or plant that I could grow?
    I am thinking some 4-5m tree with colored leaves or plant several flowers

Most of houses here just covers their land with concrete and tile which I don't want to replicate.
    So, please kindly lend me your knowledge

Thank you very much!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums. Is this an outdoor courtyard? How much sun does it receive?

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have never forgotten a similar size garden courtyard I saw many years ago attached to a townhouse. It was walled in on all sides and there were plants growing everywhere - palms and ferns in pots on the ground (some elevated) as well as dozens of plants including vines and orchids growing on the walls themselves. It was a tropical paradise.
    The walls would not need to be brick or likewise solid . . . even lattice would do (and provide more air circulation).
    4 meters by 4 meters isn't small if you can somehow utilize vertical opportunities and choose the right plants.

4. balipupa

balipupa New Member

It is an outdoor yard and I don't know how to describe it but it receive a lot of sun, according to accuweather max uv index in the area is 11 (hopefully it helps to describe the situation)

vertical opportunities, interesting...do you have any illustration that might be close to your description?

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Personally I would opt for a selection of smaller plants rather than one or two large specimens. Plants with a pleasant, light fragrance would provide for additional impact. One such example is Jasminum sambac (Arabian Jasmine), which happens to be one of the national flowers of your country. Others that come to mind are Aglaia odorata (Chinese Rice Flower), Magnolia figo (Banana Shrub), and Citrus sp. which will produce edible fruit as a bonus. Containerized plantings would help restrict their size and allow you to move them around as desired. Add a water wall for additional impact on the senses.

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello, @balipupa I've not been able to find any good photos that illustrate what I remember seeing in a tiny garden so many years ago. Unlike the dense vertical plantings popular today, my recollection is of various size containers attached to the 3 walls next to the townhouse itself. Another idea would be to train vines up a trellis. In the centre of this garden was a small table and chairs; perfect to enjoy the private space.

I'm reminded of that saying, "Less is more."

upload_2022-9-2_22-45-21.png