Acer palmatum 'Marlo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, Aug 22, 2007.

1. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Deeply lobbed leaves, dark green, edged pink. Pink margins whitish later in the season.
    These colours are most intense in spring and autumn

Attached Files:

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Oh just seen this maple for first time today.As can be seen from your pic,it looks like a few others,but I have to admit,the new growth has the most amazingly luminous pink&green little leaves...almost too bright to be true.
    I noticed it alongside Beni Komachi and others,produced by van Son&Koot as cutting grown plants.They seem to have mastered the art now and produce many now on a commercial scale in this way.
    Obviously as a business they're onto a winner as there's no need to grow rootstock or labour intensive grafting(though I know they also graft)...and whilst the unwary may be caught out if planting these babies in landscape,I think it's refreshing to see it being done the 'traditional' way.It could be good news for Bonsai enthusiasts and in this world of 'watered down' cultivars...I don't think it's bad news:)

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

12th April 2022 and just received this as a birthday gift. Will see how it competes to my Beni Shichihenge.
    20220412_102050.jpg

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  4. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Happy birthday, D -- what a wonderful gift! I'm sure it will give much pleasure for many years to come, it's so pretty!

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Thanks Xi. I'm having a nice family birthday today and the new maple was a surprise. I do say to my children, 'I have no more room'. But they know what I'm like.

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. Acerholic

25th May 2022 and an update on how my new Marlo is doing. I'm very pleased, but without a label could I tell the difference between that and my Beni shichihenge. Probably not !! It does seem more of an upright cultivar though.
    Marlo 25th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  7. Acerholic

14th June 2022 and I'm still very happy with my new Marlo. Giving it a lot of shade, which it seems to be very happy about.
    Marlo 14th June 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  8. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

How does this cultivar handle the sun? I have a small fairly sunny place I could put it in, or I could fit a Japanese Princess in there but I'm not a huge fan of the color after spring... :/

9. Acerholic

Hi Connor, this one needs some protection. Mine gets a little morning sun and plenty of afternoon shade. Not a maple for full sun IMO.

Romain01 likes this.
  10. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

Yes it is a delicate variety of culture, fears the sun and a lot of oidium, (Mr Maillot has stopped his production of "Marlo")

11. Acerholic

7th November 2023 and my potted Marlo gave a nice show ths morning.
    PXL_20231107_091453920.jpg PXL_20231107_091445861.jpg

Romain01 likes this.