Seeds 2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 12, 2021.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

I was under the impression that mutations due to virus/pest/etc wouldn’t be stable if propagated, but I don’t know that for sure.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Haha, busted, I suppose! I don't know for sure that it's viral, and I think it would be complicated to prove it, because one would have to isolate an actual virus. Goodness knows, we all know, post-pandemic, how complicated that is.

I assume it's viral because of all the small and deformed leaves. A. vitifolium leaves are really wide, maybe 18cm, and even longer; these are like 1-4 cm wide, and of widely variable shape. So a lot like pseudoplatanus leaves from the cultivars that are said to be of viral origin, like Rezek etc. When the leaves make me think of limp lettuce I don't want to eat, I call it a virus!

LoverOfMaples, kgeezy20 and AlainK like this.
  3. Herman vd

Herman vd New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome alain k and emery i really appreciate it and looking forward to watch this forum for more amazing seedlings

Alain k thanks i will definitely update my location im so 150 km from bloemfontein so we do go into the minus during winter avrage about -2'C with a rare cold front we mifht hit a -7
    The nursery dont sell any japanese maples at all thats the funny part.....even standerd green maples are hard to find in nurseries.... Altho after searching for years i found one that sells decent named cultivars..... Its a 2 hour drive to there and they are very expensive but its worth it

Emery i love that veriagation its beautiful......closest that i have to veriagation is a aka shigitatsu sawa..... One time i saw a butterfly but didn't buy it but i still regret it too this day havent seen one after years of searching
    Just to clarify all the photos was from the one seedling from germination to fall.... This year i went early to collect seeds, must have 200+ seeda in the fridge now.... Only a month or so to go cant wait

emery likes this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Actually, that's what the climate here is becoming...

5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Wow E. That is beautiful! You are hold back goodies over there.

6. AlainK

The ssedlings from "dicky5ash"'s seeds need repotting.

I saw on a "lunar calendar" that it will be best done fom July 26th. Anyway, they do need a better mix, and there's at least one that I wouldn't miss, it's the one in the center top with the new red flush of leaves.

Semis21-Rich10_220720a.jpg

dicky5ash and maf like this.
  7. AlainK

Seeds 2022, but it's too late now to start a new thread. ;-)

I received seeds from maple enthusiasts from France. Some of them germinated, others didn't. But my favourite saying when I sow maple seeds is "Maple seedlings are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get" : so far, none of the 'Okushimo' show the curled up leaves of the parent plant, but they're still only a few months old. The 'Atropurpureum' were probably from a 'Dissectum Atropurpureum', and they're all so different. But that's fine with me :

semis_22-Div_220726a.jpg

Not sure the 'Seiryu' will look as dissected as the parent tree, but I could find an interesting speciment among them. On the right, a few buergerianum, they are usually true to the type.

semis_22-Div_220726b.jpg

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  8. kgeezy20

Alain, your seedlings look to be very similar to mine in that they’re growing pretty densely. How do you keep damping off at bay growing them like that?

9. AlainK

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "damping off"... The tray the're in is about 15 cm high, I put 2 cm lava rock 5-7 mm at the bottom, then a good mix.

In the spring, just before budbreak or shortly after, I can separate them and put them in individual pots.

Last year, I had lots of seeds from my trees, including 'Sango Kaku'. So these are 2021 seedlings. I took out some, on the right, to send "just before budbreak" to friends, but none of them show the red colour of the bark. Anyway, they can make nice trees, or good rootstock for those who can graft.
    You can see that some roots have escaped below the tray. I put an AA battery for the size.

I suppose that, in a cheap Chinese pot, it could be sold in a garden center as a "forest" for a couple of €,£, or $ <LOL>

Semis21-SangoKaku_220726a.jpg

PS: mail me if you're in Europe and want to acquire it... (Joke)

10. kgeezy20

My bad, it’s probably called something else in your neck of the woods. It’s just a common disease among seedlings. Often they will look totally fine but have fallen over, then upon closer inspection you’ll see the stem looks pinched or shriveled right at the soil line.

AlainK likes this.
  11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know what damping off is called in French either, but it is known as damping off in the UK, the same as the USA. In addition to what @kgeezy20 said here is a link to damping off at the RHS website. A quote from there:
    I never really had a problem with it in my maple seedlings, but I am sure it is most likely to be encountered in hot and humid conditions which are not frequently seen around here...

AlainK likes this.
  12. kgeezy20

Thank you, @maf . I’m in the southern Appalachians, about 30 minutes north of the Great Smoky Mountains, i.e. possibly the most humid place in the country this time of year.

AlainK and maf like this.
  13. AlainK

OK, thanks, that's what I thought. In French, it's more or less "fonte des semis", though it's only used for very young sprouts, no more than a few weeks old.

But as long as the tray or pot drains well and the mix is healthy, there's no problem here. I always use a free-draining mix.

14. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Looking good :)

15. AlainK

I "slip-potted/repotted" some 2021 seedlings (tx dicky5ash). Some of them were showing signs of chlorosis.

This is how I proceed for seedlings in a square pot :

First, I remove the seedling from its pot. I usually do it when the soil is rather dry, it's easier, it doesn't crumble.
    I put some coarse material at the bottom of the pot, it can be very dry here so that helps keeping some humidity :

transpl_220729c.jpg

I add a thin layer of new soil, and put the seedling in the new pot this way :

transpl_220729d.jpg

I then fill in the space in the corners with new soil, almost to the top. Same idea as "summer up-potting" for larger trees, except that this time it's more of a "standard" mix. I also add a little slow-release fertilizer :

transpl_220729e.jpg

I then keep them in a shaded place.

transpl_220729f.jpg

More roots will develop, they'll store more nutients to pass the winter and they'll be stronger for next spring.

Nothing extraordinary, really, but if that can help those who grow maples from seeds, I'd be glad : to me, summer transpotting is the best. (or slip-potting, whatever)

16. LoverOfMaples

I did a little repotting today. The tree was/is labeled Acer palmatum 'Shigitatsu sawa' from the Arboretum. This is just a few of them.

Attached Files:

maf, AlainK and emery like this.
  17. emery

So far tests with the bags are going very well, even in the broiling weather. I will start moving the 7x7 godets into the bags when I get to moving up seedlings, probably in a couple of weeks.

I've been using the 11l (3G) bags for maples that are having some root problems with too much wet; so far so good! This is a young Acer fabri (thanks to Matt N.)

20220722_183656_v1.jpg 20220722_192001_v1.jpg

maf, LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  18. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I have some with chlorosis..I will be doing the same

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  19. LoverOfMaples

I really like this little seedling. I could capture the true colors. The mother is A. pal. 'Burgundy Lace'.

Attached Files:

20. AlainK

I didn't want to start another thread like "MWNN" (Maples with no name), so this is a picture of an unidentified maple seedling (UMS).

As usual, I don't remember where the seed was from, but I think it has the characteristics of a palmatum (very small buds), though the leaves look a bit like a cultivar of shirasawanum or japonicum. Maybe a hybrid of some kind of dissectum...

Any idea what the parent(s) might be ?

semis20-nonid01_220918b.jpg semis20-nonid01_220918a.jpg

21. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks to me like an Acer amoenum var. matsumurae. I've seen quite a few old ones with similar leaf shape and number of lobes in aboretums, and have grown a few seedlings that look similar, often with atropurpureum tones. I think you are on the right lines with the thought that it might be a hybrid of a dissectum - I have a theory that you get this leaf shape in the F1 generation if one parent is a true breeding dissectum and the other is something like 'Osakazuki' or other amoenum. And considering many of the clonal cultivars available may only be Filial 2 or Filial3 this leaf shape could pop up in selfed dissectum seeds. Just my 2 cents...

AlainK likes this.
  22. AlainK

Thanks "maf", that makes sense...

23. AlainK

LoverOfMaples, emery and 0soyoung like this.
  24. LoverOfMaples

Collect seedling. I have no clue what it might be.

Attached Files:

AlainK, emery, 0soyoung and 1 other person like this.
  25. emery

Hey D, if it has white sap, it's probably an A. pictum. That's what many of mine have looked like young. As they get a little older the side jag in the central lobe may go away. If it gets very pronounced it's a platanoides hybrid. The two love to hybridize.

AlainK and LoverOfMaples like this.