Acer palmatum 'Atropupureum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by NyxLimit, May 3, 2009.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    Last night I was again asked how my Atropurpureum was looking. All I could say was I would post today so it can be viewed once more.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday.
    So here is my thinned out Atropurpureum that was pruned hard last year.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

22nd September 2020 and tbe Autum Equinox is here and so are the changes. I will be sad to see this years Atropurpureum colours go.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

27th September 2020 and bright Autumnal sunshine brings the best out of maple leaves. My Atropurpureum was probably the best IMO.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

7th October 2020 and my maples are either turning to Autumn colours, or have new Spring like growth or the leaves are just ready to drop. Such a strange year.
    So after more PM's and requests for my Atropurpureum, here it is this morning.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

14th October 2020 and after some more PM's about my Atropurpureum, here it is. Just going past it's best IMO, but still looking OK.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

16th October 2020 the sun is shining and everything is looking cheerful. Atropurpureum especially!!

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

4th April 2021 and the start of my Atropurpureum for another year, if it's anything like 2020 it will be a good one, for my tree at least.
    Just finished painting my new fence black, so am hoping it will show off the leaves better. Yes, I am learning from the Bonsai people on the forum.
    Atropurpureum 177.JPG

9. Acerholic

12th April 2021 and here is my Atropurpureum leafing out now. An oldie but a goodie as they say.
    Atropurpureum 186.JPG

10. Acerholic

20th April 2021 and I am pleasantly surprised at how many PM's I'm getting about this maple. So here it is this morning in bright sunshine.
    Atropurpureum 197.JPG

11. Acerholic

9th May 2021 and I believe in showing the bad as well as the good, so here is some leaves of my Atropurpureum that suffered from my spraying due to the overnight frosts. This does happen I'm afraid, but as a whole, the tree was protected.
    Atropurpureum frost damage 220.JPG

12. Acerholic

18th May 2021 and my Atropurpureum is picking up now after the frost battering in April. Having to cope with hail stones atm. What a Spring!!
    Atropurpureum 230.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  13. Acerholic

26th May 2021 and a view of my Atropurpureum, it is only 6 ft tall, but will be a beautiful red all Spring and Summer.
    Atropurpureum 240.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  14. Acerholic

21st June 2021 and my Atropurpureum has welcomed all this rain we are having in Southern England atm. I now expect a good show for the Summer.
    Atropurpureum 272.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I was a bit late with watering a few weeks ago and thought I was going to lose this one.... so thankful to see how it's bouncing back!

20210724 Atropopureum.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  16. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

Here are some pictures of the month of October :

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

11th April 2022 and my Atropurpureum is getting started. 2021 was not it's best, so I am hoping that it just rested and is going to give a good display this year. We will see.
    Atropurpureum April 2022.JPG

18. Acerholic

April 28th 2022, It's taken some time to leaf out, but now the colours are here.
    Atropurpureum April 28th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Romain01

I planted my atropurpureum this fall! he is enjoying it and he will certainly be better off this way!

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

30th May 2022 and an often overlooked cultivar. But it always does so well and keeps it's colours.
    Atropurpeum 30th May 2022.JPG

21. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Well-Known Member

I think this is an Atropurpureum, would you guys agree?
    it was mislabeled (I originally ordered a Sode-no-Uchi in the winter, and voila red leaves in spring xD).
    It was doing quite well, but now the leaf edges are a bit crispy, when I exposed it to the sun

IMG_20220417_130348.jpg

IMG_20220416_132951.jpg

Xi-feng likes this.
  22. Acerholic

I would agree, but Atropurpureum is a name often used as a purple red maple, so it is probably looking that way. Definatly not Sode-no-Uchi

Karl Villareal likes this.
  23. Romain01

planted this autumn, Atropurpureum undergoes great heat, the most exposed leaves become "orange" should the foliage be watered in the evening?
    Is my Jm a cutting?
    atro 1.jpg atro 2.jpg atro 3.jpg atro 4.jpg atro 5.jpg

Acerholic, D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  24. Acerholic

I mist the leaves with saved rainwater in these hot evenings Romain. Seems to help a bit.

Romain01 likes this.
  25. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like a cutting by the way it is growing at the base.

Romain01 likes this.