Appreciation: Squamanita contortipes

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Acerholic, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Frog, allelopath and D97x7 like this.
  2. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

"Antarctic fungus" I live and learn.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

As do we all everyday N.

4. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

I learned that a munro is a mountain in Scotland with a height over 3,000 feet (914.4 m),

Acerholic, Frog and D97x7 like this.
  5. Acerholic

That's correct @allelopath, my wife and I have done several over the years. The Highlands is the most wonderful place to visit. Very friendly people also.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This story contains some confusing information. The headline and text state that a new species of the genus Squamanita was found but don't explicitly state what species was found (possibly unnamed). There is a photo of Squaminita contortipes and a statement that DNA of this species was found in the soil samples, but a quick check in Wikipedia shows that this species was described in 1957. So, I'm left puzzled how the new Squamamita species was discovered, and what is its present status?

7. Acerholic

Agreed I found that also @vitog . But it is new to the forum, or what I could find on the search.
    I'm thinking as well that this is New to the Highlands and not a new species.