Virtual Garden Tour 2022

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by pmurphy, Jan 6, 2022.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

There's something in the air...

Dracunculus vulgaris - dragon arum, just opened this morning

IMG_7720.JPG IMG_7737.JPG IMG_7746.JPG IMG_7777.JPG

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Wow! Very dramatic . . . how tall is it anyway?

3. pmurphy

It's about 1.5 m tall...the fence behind it is 1.2 m

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Oh, thank you. Yours seem to open a week or more before the ones in Stanley Park at the Pavilion, so I should start looking for those soon.

5. pmurphy

Things have been really slow to appear this year (or not at all) but I have found more color in my garden this past week....

Wand flower 'Yellow Emperor'
    Asiatic lilies 'Tiny Ghost' (red ones) and 'Gwen' (white one)
    Clematis 'Jackmanii Superba'
    Triplet lily
    Calla lily 'Picasso'
    Bindweed
    Mountain roscoe lily
    Smooth prickly pear
    Canadian violet
    Fusion lily
    Chameleon plant
    Peruvian lily 'Inca Ice'
    Gladiolus 'Nymph.

IMG_7963 - Ixia ‘Yellow Emperor’.JPG IMG_7985 - Lilium asiatic .JPG IMG_8011 - Clematis x jackmanii 'Superba'.JPG IMG_8019 - Triteleia laxa.JPG IMG_8084 - Zantedeschia ‘picasso’.JPG IMG_8096 - Convolvulus mauritanicus .JPG IMG_8121 - Roscoea alpina.JPG IMG_8145 - Opuntia compressa .JPG IMG_8184 - Viola canadensis.JPG IMG_8196 - Lilium longiflorum x L. pardalinum.JPG IMG_8200 - Houttuynia cordata.JPG IMG_8248 - Alstroemeria ‘Inca Ice’.JPG IMG_8278 - Gladiolus nanus nymph.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  6. wcutler

I didn't know Triteleia came in blue - T. laxa, Triplet lily.
    I'm wondering how you have room for any of these with Houttuynia (Chameleon plant) growing. I had it in a planter with some other plants one year. It was so aggressive, and I didn't like the smell when I tried to pull it out.
    Nice to be reminded of Ixia (Wand flower), which I was going to say I didn't know at all, but I see that I commented on a posting of one one year. Actually, that was a delightful thread: What is this mine eyes perceive?, started by @soccerdad .

7. pmurphy

I like the fact that it will grow in a variety of conditions; the plant is actually listed as an aquatic or bog plant but the ones in the photo are growing in full sun where it is dry, which is why they are so colorful (the ones I have growing in the shade are either green or green and white variegated). They are also in a raised bed and must compete with assorted dwarf tulips (these are finishing up when the chameleon plant is just getting started) and a large Corsican hellebore. The canna lilies in the background are in a separate bed.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  8. pmurphy

The plants are definitely lush and growing.....

Eastern prickly pear cactus (so many flowers you almost can't tell its a cactus)
    Asparagus - ever wonder what happens when you don't harvest?
    Beautyberry is flowering now
    Variegated porcelain vines are taking over a dark corner on one of the terraces (just as I'd hoped)

IMG_8341 - Opuntia humifusa.JPG IMG_8382 - Asparagus officinalis.JPG IMG_8407 - Callicarpa americana.JPG IMG_8454 - Ampelopsis heterophylla var. brevipedunculata.JPG

And a couple of winter success stories...

Pineapple guava not only survived this past winter but is flowering for the first time, ever
    Rice paper plant was not bothered by the past winter and has almost tripled in size since last spring

IMG_8378 - Feijoa sellowiana.JPG IMG_8440 - Tetrapanax papyrifer.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    Margot and Acerholic like this.
  9. wcutler

@pmurphy, I see that you posted one of these Ampelopsis Glandulosa var. brevipedunculata 'Elegans' three years ago at Ampelopsis Glandulosa var. brevipedunculata 'Elegans' - variegated porcelain vine | UBC Botanical Garden Forums, and I was taken with it then. I'll be happy if you keep posting it until I learn the name.

A member from New York posted comments about it in 2006, calling it "The devil in disguise".
    About Botany Photo of the Day

10. pmurphy

It could be that it will get out of control in some areas but I see that New York is listed as zones 3 - 7. As Vancouver is listed as zone 8(ish) and the vine is listed as ranging from zone 5 to 9 perhaps it is more aggressive in cooler area? - I'm located in a microclimate where I can grow some zone 9 plants.

I've never had any issues with this plant getting out of control here, and I've been trying to get them to spread in this one area for almost 4 years now. I've also never had any issues with them sprouting everywhere. Some of my vines I've had for over 10 years now and I find them a very well behaved vine that will scrabble through some of my leggy shrubs (I am encouraging this). They will also grow in full sun to full shade so I find them very versatile.

11. wcutler

No, it seems to be in the eastern US where it's a problem. It's too bad I removed my balcony trellis when we had the building painted - it seems like it would be perfect on my wall.

12. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

How old is the pineapple guava that bloomed? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2022
  13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Kudos to you @pmurphy for holding down the fort in the Virtual Garden Tour 2022 department. Your photos are inspirational.

My garden has been decimated by deer this year to the point where not even daylily buds have been spared.

I'm going to make a list of all the plants they (and their spawn) despise in the hope that something good comes out of this to recommend to others in the area.

My focus this summer and fall will be to beef up the deer fencing and thereby outwit the varmints (including rabbits - don't mention 'bunnies' to me).

* For anyone who has not heard my tale of woe - for 10+ years my garden was off the radar for the resident deer until the terrible storm last November caused so much water to wash through my 1-acre property that a 30 foot section of deer fence was knocked down. For 3 weeks until it was rebuilt, the deer rediscovered Paradise Lost and have been finding ways in ever since. They have been relentless - not only enlarging holes in the plastic netting chewed by rabbits but also creating new ways in. At least they haven't started jumping the fences - yet.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  14. wcutler

Do your list in a new thread please, so people can find it. I can't find any postings on this.

Margot likes this.
  15. pmurphy

My condolences Margot.

Vitog,
    The guava has been living in my back yard since I purchased it in 2011, but I wouldn't say thriving (it was only about 1/2 M tall at that time). It would put on new growth each year only to have it "trimmed back" each winter. After our most recent terrible winter when it had only a few "freezer burned" leaves left I decided to move it into the covered garden to where my bottlebrush - RIP - was. I made the move in March thinking it would either recover or die. After almost two months it started sending out new leaves all over the bare branches and, much to my surprise, a handful of buds as well. The plant now seems extremely happy and should start thriving...I hope

vitog likes this.
  16. pmurphy

Here is another reason I'm very cautious about pulling "weeds" from my gardens. Just identified Michauxia campanuloides - rough-leaved Michauxia 0r Michaux bellflower.

This is not a plant I purchased but rather a stow-away? during a seed swap from Greece back in 2018. This is the first time it has flower so that it could be positively identified. Plants are about 1 M tall and flowers are 10cm across.

I never pulled the plant because "its easier to remove plants then replace them".

Attached Files:

Margot, wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  17. pmurphy

The recent hot weather has certainly helped my gardens. Some things I thought would never flower are now doing so while others seem to be unaffected by the weird weather we had earlier this year.

Persian silk tree - was a little late flowering this year.
    Canna lily 'Roze' - I thought would never come up let alone flower
    Trumpet vine 'Atomic Red' - doing very well this year
    Cobra lily 'The Perfect Wave" - was late in coming up
    Pineapple lilies - not affected at all
    Tree lily 'Beverly Dreams' - supposed to reach 120cm this first year but got a slow start and only made 1M
    Calla lily 'Frozen Queen' - translucent leaves and red flowers, did well this year (last 2 photos)

IMG_8899 - Albizia julibrissin.JPG IMG_8943 - Canna x generalis ‘Roze’.JPG IMG_8948 - Campsis radicans ‘Stromboli' (Atomic red).JPG IMG_8952 - Arisaema consanguineum ‘The Perfect Wave’.JPG IMG_8979 - Eucomis bicolor.JPG IMG_9015 - Lillium hybrid 'Beverly Dreams'.JPG
    IMG_9011 - Zantedeschia 'Frozen Queen'.JPG IMG_9012 - Zantedeschia 'Frozen Queen'.JPG

18. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Love the colour on the 'Frozen Queen'.

19. pmurphy

20. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I always like the most expensive things, so there you go. More confirmation.

21. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Haven't posted here for a while, my garden has suffered rather badly through this Summer's heat and continued drought. But I thought some photos of last evenings sunset and some silhouettes of my Ginkgo and Cherry would be nice to share.
    sunset October 2022.JPG Sunset October 2022 (2).JPG Sunset October 2022 (3).JPG Ginkgo and Cherry October 2022.JPG Sunset October 2022 (1).JPG

22. pmurphy

I definitely didn't have as many plants flowering this year but I have had some plants flowering for the first time...

Giant miscanthus grass
    Guernsey lily 'Edelweiss'
    Silver lace vine with Virginia creeper - in autumn colors - in the background

IMG_9360 - Miscanthus giganteus.JPG IMG_9384 - Nerine bowdenii 'Edelweiss' .JPG IMG_9366 - Olygonum aubertii & Parthenocissus quinquefolia.JPG

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  23. wcutler

Thanks for posting that - I saw one today and forgot that I was supposed to know what it was.

If you do searches on your photos, the silver lace vine is missing its "P" on the Polygonum in the file name.

pmurphy likes this.