Acer palmatum 'Tamuke yama'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Thanks D -- I hope I can keep it thriving. Saw that wind-broken branch and just saw red, sigh. I suppose that's the drawback to standard forms when their height takes them over the protection afforded by a garden fence, so I hope putting it against the house gives it a chance to strengthen up those branches a bit! It's so pretty, I'd hate for it to struggle.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Strong winds here the last couple of days also, but I think M @ROEBUK has had it worse. Good idea moving it nearer the house. Hope it doesn't rub against the guttering . Do keep an eye on that.

Xi-feng likes this.
  3. Xi-feng

Good thought -- will watch it closely! :)

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

30th May 2022 and after some chat these last few days, I thought I would show how mine is doing.
    Tamukeyama 29th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  5. Xi-feng

I am in love with this tree. The colour, the leaf-shape... and yes, the standard size that means I'm looking up at the branches with the light shining down on them. Beautiful thing!

20220602 Tamukeyama.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

And in tne London sunshine, what better Xi..

Xi-feng likes this.
  7. Xi-feng

Tamukeyama continues to grow like crazy. I really hope this coming heatwave is kind to it:

20220710 Tamukeyama-1.jpg 20220710 Tamukeyama-2.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

Looking lovely Xi and as long as the roots stay moist, it should cope.

Xi-feng likes this.
  9. Xi-feng

Phew, I hope so -- I'm doing what I assume most other people on the forum are and watering every morning/sprawing every evening in the hopes of keeping everything hydrated, but let's see. Here's hoping we all get through this and keep growing strong!

Acerholic likes this.
  10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Not me! I have upped the frequency of watering of containers from every 3 days to every 2 days for the duration of the heatwave and have never had a need to spray my Japanese maples. All are fine and healthy apart from one which seems to have had partially blocked drainage holes, so too much water in that case...

Back to the main topic - I once had a 'Tamuke yama' and admired the deep purple foliage. Unfortunately I gave it to a girlfriend (now ex) who did not have green fingers and I suspect it is long dead.

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Have given maples to friends and family also over the years M, and I worried about them all the time. Thankfully at time of posting this, all are fine. But back on topic of Tamuke yama, this is such a lovely cultivar and very heat tolerant, which is quite apt atm. Mine is in full sun and coping well. Don't know what will happen next week though. Possibly the highest ever temperature for the UK according to the press.

maf likes this.
  12. Xi-feng

Darkening to deep green now, but still absolutely gorgeous. Really impressed by how much this one has grown since I got it earlier in the year!

20220813 Tamukeyama.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

11th November 2022 and some pretty leaves in the last couple of days here in my garden.
    Tamukeyama 11th November 2022.JPG

14. Acerholic

4th November 2023 and a year on since last photo, so here it is giving a good show.
    PXL_20231104_095352031.jpg PXL_20231104_095342623.jpg