Appreciation: Summer maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Jun 6, 2022.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Storms on Sunday, but today, no rain and 34°C. Could reach 39°C on Saturday. The rivers are at their lowest, and so are the groundwater tables.

But of course, as some say, nothing to worry about <LOL>

If we can't find sunflower oil any more in shops now, it's not because of the weather, no comment needed. But I found out why the shelves of mustard are empty : most of the seeds come from Canada, and last year, the crops were damaged by a severe drought.

"Moutarde de Dijon" is so iconic here (a bit like "Marmite" in England), one can hardly find a home without mustard. I had always assumed that all the ingredients were local...

But nothing to worry about, really. As long as the water supply is not cut out (cross my fingers, we haven't been bombarded here, if in some places hailstones were as big as golf balls, or even tennis balls, we've been spared so far), I can still water my tomatoes and courgettes.. ;°)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    ChrisUk and Lisa Harry like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, well it's a very warm start to the day as forecast, so I thought I would take a few pics early to share before the heat really does hit later on.
    Beni tsukasa...................................................Sunset........................................Fairy Lights
    Beni tsukasa 17th June 2022.JPG Sunset 17th June 2022.JPG Fairy lights 17th June 2022.JPG
    Ornatum x2....................................................................................................Mon Papa
    Ornatum 17th June 2022.JPG Ornatum 17th June 2022 (2).JPG Mon Papa 17th June 2022.JPG
    Vic Pink..................................................................Koyouki
    Vic pink 16th June 2022.JPG Ko yuki 17th June 2022.JPG

ChrisUk, Lisa Harry, emery and 8 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

Hi Xi, do start a thread in the cultivars photos for Acer palmatum 'Cascade Ruby'. I'm sure others will add photos of theirs in the coming weeks. I succumbed btw Lol.......

Lisa Harry and Xi-feng like this.
  4. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Oh your not alone D, I'm just waiting on delivery.

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

Lol, for what one N?

6. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

I couldn't decide between Ruby and Gold, so I ordered both, lol.
    Edit
    Just received dispatch notification, which would be filling me with joy, if it wasn't Friday, hope they arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Lisa Harry, emery and Xi-feng like this.
  7. Acerholic

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

31 C in the shade here this afternoon, and still time to get warmer. Also quite windy. Predictably Acer pentaphyllum is enjoying the sun.
    IMG_20220617_152924.jpg IMG_20220617_140629.jpg

Some of the others don't seem to be bothered too much by afternoon sun.
    Chishio (Improved/Shin?), seed grown, Kiyohime with Manyo no sato.

IMG_20220617_140957.jpg IMG_20220617_153153.jpg IMG_20220617_141402.jpg

ChrisUk, Lisa Harry, emery and 6 others like this.
  9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some receiving a bit more protection from the sun.
    Tsuma gaki, Murakumo, Olsen's Frosted Strawberry
    IMG_20220617_141441.jpg IMG_20220617_142218.jpg IMG_20220617_141550.jpg

A Beni tsukasa in mostly shade and another that gets plenty of afternoon sun

IMG_20220617_141649.jpg IMG_20220617_141756.jpg

Kasagiyama peeking out from the understory

IMG_20220617_153215.jpg IMG_20220617_153305.jpg

10. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

OMG, I am SO HAPPY.

Lisa Harry, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  11. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Great photos - Met office says 80% chance of rain for us tomorrow it couldn’t be planned any better!!

Lisa Harry, ROEBUK and maf like this.
  12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

dissectum Felice just starting from this week showing it's pretty leaf colours, will only get more showy in the next few weeks. Fairly warm today up north , but the ever present wind made very bearable , dark clouds forming on the horizon though for tomorrow , good forecast for heavy rain .

Attached Files:

emery, AlainK, maf and 8 others like this.
  13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

This is the colour I get from heavily dappled sun all day location

Attached Files:

AlainK, Xi-feng, maf and 2 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

It's very warm here this morning, but the clouds are already coming. Some respite for my trees. They had a good misting very early today. Wouldn't have done it if it was bright.
    So here are some of the B's........

Bi hoo...........................................................................Beni hime x2
    Bi hoo 18th June 2022.JPG Beni hime 18th June 2022.JPG Beni hime 18th June 2022 (2).JPG
    Beni hoshi..............................................Beni ubi gohon........................................Bloodgood
    Beni hoshi 18th June 2022.JPG Beni ubi gohon 18th June 2022 (2).JPG Bloodgood 18th June 2022.JPG
    Brilliantissimum
    Brilliantisimum 18th June 2022.JPG

ChrisUk, Lisa Harry, emery and 9 others like this.
  15. AlainK

'Beni ubi gohon' looks really great.

The other ones too... ;-)

And it's interesting to see how the central lobe of the leaves of 'Beni hime' is rather short. I think I read somewhere it's a characteristic of some trees from witches' brooms.

16. Acerholic

Thanks Alain, I'm very pleased with Beni ubi gohon, such a delicate leaf. Agree about Beni hime and one on of the smallest of cultivars out there, so to have a central lobe even smaller than the other leaves is quite a feat...

AlainK likes this.
  17. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

'Aureum', red veins and tips slowly emerging...
    06.17.22 03.39.45 PM.jpeg

circinatum
    06.17.22 05.51.24 PM.jpeg

ChrisUk, Lisa Harry, emery and 6 others like this.
  18. Acerholic

19. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Still don't know if a cultivar or not, not grafted. Bought with only circinatum label. As the leaves are smaller than most all of the circinatums in the neighborhood I doubt Burgundy Jewel because what I've happened across online say they have large leaves though I haven't actually seen any. Del's Dwarf looks to have a different shape and color of leaves. My neighbor has a few different circinatum cultivars, some with really small leaves though none of his resemble mine.

20. Acerholic

Thanks for the thorough reply G, so it's a mystery circinatum!! All the better.. lol. I love the colours, whatever name it has.

21. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I really like that Beni ubi gohon. Reminds me of being sort of somewhere between Villa Toranto and a Red pygmy. What is it like the rest of the year?

Edit: nevermind, I just found the thread on this one with lots of pictures!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Acerholic likes this.
  22. AlainK

So I've put those that are beginning to get sunburnt in the shade, where they get about 1-2 hours of dappled shade.

Shirasawanum 'Aureum'.
    The edges of some of the leaves are already damaged. Behind, two seedlings that look like amoenum. Others of the same size, more "palmatum-like" haven't suffered so much. On the sides, seedlings and 'Orange Dream' that have always been in this shaded place. 16:00 and 18:00 :

acershir-aureum2_220618c.jpg acershir-aureum2_220618a.jpg acershir-aureum2_220618b.jpg

'Redwine' :

acerp-redwine_220618a.jpg acerp-redwine_220618b.jpg

'Bihoo' :

acerp-bihoo_220618a.jpg acerp-bihoo_220618b.jpg acerp-bihoo_220618c.jpg

Nice Autumn colours for a month of June, and I think they'll survive and be healthy now until October...

PS On the right, in the backgound in the last photos, Acer campestre : this one (and all the root-cuttings I took) has very rounded leaves...

Lisa Harry, emery, Xi-feng and 6 others like this.
  23. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

The Hakonechloa in the picture with your Bloodgood - do you do anything in particular to it each year? I've got 3 I planted last year, one in a pot, and two in the ground in different but both mostly shaded areas of the garden. All 3 are pretty 'thin' compared to last year, and haven't really leafed out much, rather disappointed because I struggled to find them last year and love them combined with maples!

24. Acerholic

I keep it in a lot of shade and I find it takes a few years to establish, but once it does it goes from strength to strength. No feeding btw.

Cattwooduk and maf like this.
  25. Acerholic

A happy Fathers day to all those Dads and Grandads out there. So before all my family arrive, some photos to share on a much cooler day today.

Pink filigree lace x2............................................................................................Shigitatsu Sawa
    Pink filigree lace 19th June 2022.JPG Pink filigree lace 19th June 2022 (2).JPG Shigitatsu sawa 19th June 2022.JPG
    Momoiro Koyasan x2........................................................................................Ariake Nomura
    Momoiro koyasan 19th June 2022.JPG Momoiro koyasan 19th June 2022 (2).JPG Ariake nomura 19th June 2022.JPG

Chitoseyama x2...................................................................................................Shindeshojo
    Chitoseyama 19th June 2022 (2).JPG Chitoseyama 19th June 2022.JPG Shindeshojo 19th June 2022.JPG
    Beni Otake x2.......................................................................................................Jordan
    Beni otake 19th June 2022 (2).JPG Beni otake 19th June 2022 (1).JPG Jordan 19th June 2022.JPG
    Jerre Schwartz x2.............................................................................................elegantulum x2
    Jerre Schwartz 19th June 2022.JPG Jerre Schwartz 19th June 2022 (2).JPG Elegantulum 19th June 2022 (2).JPG Elegantulum 19th June 2022.JPG

ChrisUk, Lisa Harry, AlainK and 7 others like this.