Appreciation: Summer maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Jun 6, 2022.

1. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Some more happy friends today...

Japanese Sunrise, Sango Kaku X2, Mikazuki X2, Tamukeyama X2, Waterfall, Moonfire

Attached Files:

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Esk Sunset and Peve Chameleon both looking better than last year !! so many trees at present changing into their summer leaf/colours now , can't keep up with them :):)

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The same here M @ROEBUK, lots of changing now, yours are looking gorgeous btw. A busy time trimming and labelling what is not too happy in a position to move ready for 2023. ( Autumn move btw).
    So here are just a few of my variegated maples, as this was asked about by our new member @acernoob.

Goshiki shidare x2.............................................................................................Manyo no sato.
    Goshiki shidare 14th June 2022 (2).JPG Goshiki shidare 14th June 2022.JPG Manyo no sato 14th June 2022.JPG
    Beni shichihenge...............................................Olivia......................................Rainbow.
    Beni Schichihenge 14th June 2022.JPG Olivia 14th June 2022 (1).JPG Rainbow 14th June 2022.JPG
    Butterfly x2..........................................................................................................Red Flamingo
    Butterfly 14th June 2022.JPG Butterfly 14th June 2022 (2).JPG conspicuum Red flamingo 14th June 2022.JPG
    Geisha x2..............................................................................................................Karusagawa
    Geisha 14th June 2022.JPG Geisha 14th June 2022 (2).JPG Karusagawa 14th June 2022 (2).JPG
    Carnival..........................................................Peve multicolour x2
    campestre Carnival 14th June 2022.JPG Peve muliticolour 14th June 2022.JPG Peve multicolour 14th June 2022.JPG
    Ukigumo x2 .......................................................................................................Marlo
    Ukigumo 14th June 2022.JPG Ukigumo 14th June 2022 (2).JPG Marlo 14th June 2022.JPG
    Karusagawa
    Karusagawa 14th June 2022.JPG

Attached Files:

wind-borne, Xi-feng, ROEBUK and 7 others like this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Fom my experience, 'Orange Dream' fares well in deep shade. Both the one in a blue pot and the "bonsai" (which got 1 or 2 hours sun in the morning) are air-layers :

acerp_orangedream00_220614a.jpg

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Bi-hoo' is another reputed to be "temperamental". So far, mine was fine, kept in almost full shade except 1 or 2 hours in late afternoon.
    But it had to be repotted, and I left it in a very sunny place. It's not that the leaves are "damaged", but the red they show is not a good sign, so I put it back to its former place. July 5th 21, and today :

acerp-bihoo_210705a.jpg acerp-bihoo_220614a.jpg

Xi-feng, dangerine49, maf and 3 others like this.
  6. ROEBUK

The one that shall not be mentioned !! My 'Bi hoo' which i only bought at the beginning of the year , why i don't really know maybe because it was cheap ?? only £25 from a garden centre looked quite nice to be honest , but they all do but then you get them home and the fun begins with the constant snipping off the black ends of the branches. Any way it's still alive and in full sun for most of the day , two pics of when i brought it home and today in exactly the same spot i pegged it out in. Will it be here this time next year. Don't really know if these are the correct colours i should be seeing , never had one get this far before :):)

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, AlainK, Acerholic and 2 others like this.
  7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Looking good so far I’d say..I bought two 2foot Bi-Hoo trees at the end of a season (bargains) about 4 years ago.., One of them has been trying to die for the duration (rather like the black knight scene in Monty Python’s Holy Grail film) it finally snuffed it this year..the other is coming on really well, it’s about 4 foot and has has no dieback for 2 years..both were provided with dappled sun under the canopy of another JM..I’ll take a photo tomorrow.

I’m struggling with a Metamorphosa atm..I bought a large one about 5foot from Batsford Arboretum garden centre last year and it’s got a very dodgy dead spot low down, just above the graft.. plus other dead branches..really disappointed..I might see what they prepared to do as it was expensive

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Good luck M, mine started at 7ft tall and is now 4 ft tall. Why do we all do it!!! Lol

ROEBUK likes this.
  9. Acerholic

I think some photos sent to to Batsford garden centre and ask for a replacement R. It does not look promising at all. I know it prefers some protection but I'm sure you gave it that as an experienced maple grower.

10. dicky5ash

Thanks D - I did..a very protected spot with morning sun only

11. ROEBUK

Another problem tree this one i think ?? bought a small one last year and needless to say it's gone !! wasn't to concerned having read so many bad reviews regarding this coloured tree. Won't be rushing out to replace it that's for sure, dicky5ash the one you have pictured certainly seems to be very poorly and as Derek suggested some pics sent to the supplier to see if they can replace for you because i feel sure you will have paid a substantial amount for one that size?

12. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

Two sides of Shirazz this morning: 1) the sun-facing side, still looking as pink as it did in April, and 2) the sheltered side, showing a wonderful mix of yellow, pink, red, and green variegation. Can't believe I only discovered this cultivar this year. For all the buzz that Geisha Gone Wild gets, Shirazz really puts it to shame!
    IMG_9702.jpg IMG_9706.jpg

ROEBUK, acernoob, emery and 10 others like this.
  13. Acerholic

Continuing the theme of variegated maples in Summer, here is my Oridono nishiki, Gwens rose delight or Shirazz and Lileeanne's Jewel in 27°c heat here in Southern England this afternoon.

Oridono nishiki x2
    Oridono nishiki 15th June 2022.JPG Oridono nishiki 15th June 2022 (2).JPG

Gwens rose delight or Shirazz
    Gwens Rose Delight 15th June 2022.JPG

Lileeanne's Jewel
    Lileeanes Jewel 15th June 2022.JPG

ROEBUK, emery, dangerine49 and 7 others like this.
  14. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

LOL
    Dream on...
    GGW
    last week & today
    06.06.22 07.56.27 AM.jpeg 06.15.22 07.31.01 AM.jpeg

last summer
    07.29.21 07.49.58 AM.jpeg 08.03.21 05.50.07 PM.jpeg

spring 2020
    05.13.20 11.08.55 AM.jpeg 05.13.20 11.12.03 AM.jpeg

ROEBUK, AlainK, emery and 9 others like this.
  15. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

Looks similar to my Shirazz... just smaller and less vigorous. :)

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  16. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Ya, was tongue in cheek. The word is they are hard to tell apart though I've only seen GGW in person.

17. dicky5ash

@ROEBUK i think you might be right, I picked up a small one in 2020..and whilst it’s not dying, I can’t say it’s glowing or doing much!

ROEBUK likes this.
  18. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Shirazz today!

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, AlainK, MapleZen and 5 others like this.
  19. Acerholic

The temperature at 11am this morning was 29°c, got a photo of my thermometer to prove, lol.
    IMG_20220615_155101241.jpg
    And here are a few of mine baking in the sun. Lots of misting to be done for next two evenings I think !!
    Matsukaze x2
    Matsu kaze 16th June 2022 (2).JPG Matsu kaze 16th June 2022.JPG
    Red Wine x2
    Red Wine 16th June 2022.JPG Red Wine 16th June 2022 (2).JPG
    Moonrise x2
    Moonrise 16th June 2022.JPG Moonrise 16th June 2022 (2).JPG

ROEBUK, AlainK, dangerine49 and 7 others like this.
  20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

They are so beautiful. It was 13 c and raining here in BC yesterday.

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Super stunning I gotta get one someday

MapleMO likes this.
  22. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Shirazz I planted in my fathers garden. Fairly explosive growth and color this year. Very impressed with this cultivar!!!

Attached Files:

AlainK, D97x7, MapleZen and 2 others like this.
  23. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Well hello there, and who might YOU be?

I wasn't going to buy this one, I really wasn't, but @ROEBUK 's pictures pushed me over the edge and here we are. Sure it's called Cascade Ruby, but I wasn't expecting it to be this red right out of the box!! I've moved it to an equivalent spot that my Cascade Gold loves in terms of lighting, but if that red starts to fade I might try it in slightly stronger light.

IMG_3163.jpg IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3165.jpg IMG_3166.jpg

The interesting thing I've never seen before is that it seems to be two separate branches grafted onto the main trunk, which is super fun (see pic!) There's also a very long vertical strip of peeled bark further down the main trunk which is a worry: I've already fallen in love with this thing, I will be heartbroken if it dies!

IMG_3167.jpg

ROEBUK, emery, maf and 6 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

Tempting ,very tempting Xi.......
    Looks a good strong graft on your last photo so should be fine.

Lisa Harry and Xi-feng like this.
  25. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I do hope so, I'm looking for this ruby beauty to stick around for many years! More pics incoming no doubt - hope to tempt some other forum-goers with Ruby or Gold (or both!) before I'm done here :)

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.