Identification: Looking to verify if this is a Shin Deshojo

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Anj, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Anj

Anj New Member

In my search here in Toronto of a Shin Deshojo, I came across one in a remote nursery that was labeled as such. However the leaves are quite green, and from some pictures here I noted that some retain their pink foliage through June. Is this a true Shin Deshojo? Are the leaves this green due to sun exposure? Would love to hear your experiences to figure out if this is mislabeled.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Anj my Shindeshojo goes green by around July, but it gets some nice sun, so that keeps the pinks for a bit longer. If the nursery has kept it in a lot of shade, then yes it will be green by June. Looking at your photos, I wonder if it was moved to that position from shade to sell.

Anj likes this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I couldn't say for sure either way on the ID but I wanted to ask what is going on in the highlighted area of the trunk? Is that something to be concerned with or is there a harmless explanation? not enough details in the picture to tell...
    shin trunk.jpg

Anj likes this.
  4. Anj

Anj New Member

Ah, I think it was some leftover glue from some tape. Will have to double check on that when I grab it next week. 400 canuck bucks is a bit steep but it's the only Shin Deshojo I've seen here in Toronto the past couple years strangely, the person in-charge of the JM's was surprised they even had one in their inventory and it has a 2 year warranty. Really hoping it thrives in my backyard.

maf likes this.
  5. Anj

Anj New Member

Thanks for your feedback! It was actually in a corner by itself, hidden away by a forest of 20-30 Bloodgoods - so it makes sense. The person in charge of the tree section of this garden center didn't even know they had it in stock until I showed him... haha. I guess we'll find out 100% if it's actually a Shin Deshojo when it leafs out pink next spring and retains its colour.

6. Anj

Anj New Member

Also, a bit of a tangent here but I had to mention that they also had an eye catching neon green dwarf Vine maple dubbed 'Little Gem'. Apparently it was propagated from a witch's broom from a vine maple in Stanley park. It's actually one of the most beautiful foliage in trees I've seen in person aside from the 30 year old Shin Deshojo in spring I've seen in Vancouver. Was tempted to get it as well, but it's 500 Canuck bucks.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Can see why it's expensive, a good few years of care gone into it. But 500 !!?

8. Anj

Anj New Member

I've gone ahead and bought it, took a couple more pictures. Planning to take cuttings and propagate it, maybe an air layer to make a bonsai. Would it be a terrible idea to defoliate this tree? Some of the leaves look a bit mottled/disfigured from being lodged up in a corner.

Attached Files:

9. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

If it were mine I’d leave it alone and enjoy it in full glory next year

maf and Anj like this.
  10. Acerholic

I agree with R @dicky5ash leave it be for this year at least and then in the Spring you will have many happy and lovely pinks to see.

Anj likes this.