Pink Japanese Maple Tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jingcao, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Jingcao

Jingcao Member

Hello:
    I saw a Pink/red Japanese Maple tree when I walk on the street. it is a small tree around 3' tall with tiny leaves.
    The owner told me they bought it 12 years ago from UBC Garden and forgot the variety of the maple tree, and the leaves are red during summertime and fall.
    Does anyone know the variety of this maple tree, please?
    Thank you.
    upload_2022-6-6_14-45-7.jpeg upload_2022-6-6_14-45-29.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, it is often impossible to name unknown cultivars, especially when there are so many on the market these days and of course there countless seedlings. But if you look at Acer palmatum 'Shindeshojo', or 'Deshojo', I think we might be on the right track at naming your unknown tree.

3. Anj

Anj New Member

I agree, looks to be a Shindeshojo or a Deshojo. Could also be a Beni Maiko since it looks small for a 12 year old tree than a Deshojo. Another similar ruby-pink foliage in the spring is Otome Zakura.

4. Acerholic

Agreed, but not so sure about Otome Zakura, ( more green in the leaves in Spring). I have all four and my preference for the ID of yours is still Shindeshojo or Deshojo. Beni Maiko has slightly smaller leaves IMO.

Anj likes this.
  5. Anj

Anj New Member

You're right. I'm actually very curious to what this one actually is if it stays red during summer and fall because most of the pink ones do turn green during the summer. Do your Shin Deshojo/Deshojo stay red for both fall and summer? Or perhaps a certain condition where it would stay red?

6. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

My shindeshojo has greenish central veins, unlike what is pictured.

PXL_20211010_215258285.jpg

7. Anj

Anj New Member

In a similar note, I came across a very light pink 29 year old 'Shin Deshojo' in Vancouver while on vacation 3 weeks ago and these are the pictures I took. It might be the same paler pink that is in the picture now.

In any case, I would really be interested in cultivar that stays pink -> red all throughout summer and fall.

I wonder if keeping it in less sun would preserve its colour?

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

Mine turn green in the Summer, but goes a crimson red in the Autumn.

9. Acerholic

Beni Maiko keeps it's pinks far later in the Summer than my Shindeshojo or Deshojo. Does very well in full sun also.
    That was a beautiful Shindeshojo you photographed btw.

10. Acerholic

That's the Summer new leaf colours coming surly J.

11. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Certainly it is in that photo. One can see the speckled green of mature summer leaves in the background of the pic I posted. IMO, the central veins are always greenish or lighter colored than the bulk of the leaf. PXL_20220607_183634252.jpg

First flush leaves on mine started greening at least two weeks ago and are now only faintly red. The whole tree (20-ish year old landscape planting) looks pink now, instead of blazing coral/crimson red. I'm located than 100 miles south of Vancouver, BC.

Which is only to say that the tree @Jingcao sees does not match the character of my shindesojo, IMHO.

12. Acerholic

Understood J. Agreed there is some faint green veigning in a Shindeshojo leaf. But I do think that @Anj first photo is that of either Shindeshojo or Deshojo. Possibly the latter.

0soyoung likes this.
  13. Jingcao

Jingcao Member

Thank you all for the information, it looks alike all the maple trees listed above. I think I should keep an eye on it during the summertime and fall to see the real colour of the leaves. Maybe we can find out what variety it is after a few months.
    Thank you

maf, Acerholic and Anj like this.
  14. Anj

Anj New Member

Looking forward to the pictures you take in the summer/fall, will be interesting to see how to leafs out.

15. Anj

Anj New Member

Something I noticed is that there aren't any pink A.P 'Corallinum' types here in Toronto compared to Vancouver. I saw quite a number when I was on vacation there, but I've never come across one here in both front yards or nurseries. Just the abundance of Bloodgoods, Emperor 1's, Inabe Shidare and Crimson Queens. Do they not thrive in our zone or is there just no niche market for those here? It actually stinks that we don't have access to the varieties our neighbour in the south have as well.

Also could this be 'Chishio Improved'?

16. Jingcao

Jingcao Member

The picture was taken on July 7, 2022 upload_2022-9-19_13-40-3.jpeg

LoverOfMaples, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  17. Jingcao

Jingcao Member

The picture was taken on Sep 17, 2022
    upload_2022-9-19_13-44-38.jpeg

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  18. Jingcao

Jingcao Member

This is a pink maple tree I saw in Vancouver, does anyone know the name please? Thanks

19. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@Jingcao
    One can only guess the cultivar without a label or a tag.

AlainK likes this.
  20. Acerholic

I've never seen any maples this colour in July in the UK. Spring yes, but not mid Summer. If this was a Spring photo, then I would be thinking Shindeshojo, Deshojo or Beni Maiko.
    Re Coralinum, mine is really green come July. So as D @LoverOfMaples said , 'one can only guess without a label'.

21. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

With the green spots on pink deeply divided leaves in the last photo it looks like 'Geisha' which can keep the pink look all summer sometimes. Here is a link to a post by amazingmaples showing three different 'Geisha' plants in August

Also the cultivars 'Geisha Gone Wild' and Shirazz/'Gwen's Rose Delight' and 'Pink Passion' all arose as sports of 'Geisha' and have been known to revert (or should that be "un-revert"?) to the look of 'Geisha'.

Jingcao, AlainK and LoverOfMaples like this.
  22. Acerholic

Agreed Geisha is a close guesstimate M. Mine is closer to the latest photo from @Jingcao but that July photo is a far pinker than mine ever gets in July.

23. Jingcao

Jingcao Member

Thank you all for your feedback. I am sure it is not Shirazz, since I saw Shirazz in a garden the same day as I saw this pink maple tree, they are different.
    I think of all the above varieties, Geisha maybe the closest one. But the one I saw looks pinker in July.

24. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, I agree they are different, Shirazz was selected as some kind of mutant branch sport from 'Geisha'. My point was that it has been known to flip flop back to the same colouration as 'Geisha' on occasion.

Jingcao likes this.
  25. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Shirazz can look like this all summer! Large sections of mine has no green or variegation at all!! All pink this year!

Attached Files:

maf, Jingcao and LoverOfMaples like this.