Green, red, yellow!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Cattwooduk, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thanks E. I thought it was hard to get over here. Acer pictum varieties is the same sadly.

2. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I've seen gold coin in YouTube videos and thought it looks interesting, leaves are quite large though.

Lima gold was another one I really like, but struggle to find it anywhere.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Lima Gold is a beautiful maple, very small leaves though. I have never found one, and not for lack of looking (now and again)!

Here's another idea, maybe Hillier's would have it? It is a spectacular thing.

Correction: the cultivar name is 'Summergold', all one word.

20220529_183332_v1.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

The US, France and the Netherlands leads the way with supplying amazing cultivars and species maples, but we do have some very good suppliers now and its getting better and better each year. So the Bank accounts are on pause... lol.

5. emery

Haha, you nuts pal (as we say in Newyawk), meaning you all the best. The nursery trade in France is an absolute misery, with the exception of one or two specialty places (like Maillot or Adeline in the day) there is almost nothing here. The reason is that around the beginning of the 20th century the gubbmint tought it wise to tax nurseries on inventory, whether saleable or not. Hence, no raising of your plants that require multiple years before sale was possible. Sadly this is still the case today, but there are a few nurseries now that are buying young grafted plants (from Holland) and holding them for a couple of years, a valuable service for the punters. Maillot are obliged to sell 1 yr liners for quite high prices, with of course the corresponding risk of failure.

The UK has long been viewed as the mecca of rare plants, and I think rightly so. Where else could you find a Pan-Global? But recent regulation changes make it difficult to do business, especially at a small scale. I'm not sure I can think of any large scale grafting operation in the UK now. Quite a few of my rare maples were sourced from the UK.

Of course the Netherlands and Boskoop in particular is home to some of the largest collections of Acer, along with big commercial reproduction facilities. IIRC they were grafting 40k JM cultivars per year at Esveld. There are large grafting operations in Spain and Italy, though selection in the former is limited and in the latter they're not much interested in putting things in the mail!

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Cattwooduk

The nursery I found in Leominster a few years ago is called Credale. It's run by a chap called Ed, and his wife grows Hellebores - she collects and sows thousands by hand every year.

When I last visited in August last year, Ed said he had bought in about 8,000-10,000 root stock plants from Netherlands for the years grafting, which AFAIK he sits and does himself, flat out over July and August.

I think they have helpers in occasionally for potting on and moving stuff around etc, but the times I've visited it's seemingly just him there as it's on his own fairly large property.

He has started getting hold of and grafting some of the more unusual cultivars. Even between my last 2 visits a year apart he had quite a few more which are usually hard to find.

maf, emery and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Nuts !! Quite possibly E, lol. Didn't realise that things were that bad in France . So the UK was the mecca eh!!! Not so sure these days tbh , although there are two up North near Mark's that are especially good as we all know and a few down South. But the US and Netherlands still do amazing things regarding maples and really lead the way IMO. Neither mail to the UK unfortunately. But perhaps that will change if prices and plant passports can be sorted out. But that's another gripe. Lol.
    An interesting post E. Thankyou

8. Acerholic

Wholesale only I believe C ? But if you are saying it is retail, it maybe worth me putting this on the Maple Resources thread. I would be happy to do so at your say so.

9. emery

I have heard good things about Credale, though I have no personal experience there. It would be unusual to do summer grafting at that scale, I believe?

And of course D, I forgot to mention, the US has a cacophony of a selection, great and not so great nurseries, but you can find practically anything.

There is a strict legislation about shipping plants internationally, which makes it unlikely we will be able to gain much access to US plants on our side. They're lucky it mostly doesn't extend to interstate; for example, it's very complicated to ship wine across state lines.

10. Cattwooduk

Yes I know Credale supply a lot around the south west, it was actually the tree guy at my regular garden centre who gave me Ed's details to arrange a visit.

When is the usual grafting period? I think I may be slightly out then, I thought he'd said July-August but maybe it was end of July through to September.

Funnily enough I did look into all the legislation and rules around importing from different places and it's A LOT. Loads of inspections and certificates etc. I had spoken to MrMaple about the possibility of me buying a big batch of lots of cultivars and importing them all bare rooted to simplify things, but they understandably weren't interested. It's a lot of work which would've made things expensive at my end, with the benefit of eventually having a good stock of Scion plants to graft lots of hard to obtain plants here in the UK.

That idea appears to be dead for now!

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Maybe it is an English thing. Wendy at Barthelemys does all her grafting in about 9 weeks in July/August and does more than 10K I believe.

Edit: go to 34.40 in the youtube vid below

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

And they are Good, with a capital G of course. Couldn't recommend them more.

maf likes this.
  13. Cattwooduk

Oh, maybe I was right with early July to end of August in the first place then! I probably should have remembered given I'm aiming to try some myself this year!

14. emery

Hm, interesting! Yes, I wonder. I don't know anyone doing summer grafting commercially in the EU. (Not to say no one does, I suppose). Still great to learn about it, thanks.

Indeed, I have heard only good things about Barthelemy's.

When I learned to summer graft, at DVDM, we put a sealant around the union so it didn't dry out. I've also given up on using the rubber bands, which I'm useless at. Now you can get "buddy tape" pretty much anywhere, which performs the task of both rubber band and sealant.

15. Cattwooduk

I wish I could get hold of 'Hot Blonde' for my front garden! That would be perfect.

May end up moving Anne Irene to the front and then putting Moonrise where AI currently is. Gets good sunlight until 4pm and is reasonably sheltered. More importantly there isn't a shirasawanum in that area currently.

Acerholic likes this.