Acer palmatum 'English Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesandpaws, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

10th June 2021 and I wanted to show just how delicate my English Lace actually is, even in the Summer months when the reds change.
    English lace 260.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  2. Acerholic

19th June 2021 and after a months worth of rain in one day, here is my English lace looking quite happy.
    English Lace 275.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  3. Acerholic

23rd June 2021 and an update on my English lace. This one copes very well with heat at this time of the year.
    English lace 276.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  4. Acerholic

29th June 2021 and I wanted to show how English lace transforms at this time of the year. The reds get deeper and deeper.
    English lace 282.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  5. Acerholic

4th July 2021, some warmth and a few showers is making my English lace very happy indeed.
    English lace 291.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  6. Acerholic

18th April 2022 a new season gets underway for my English Lace. I am surprised that no-one else seems to have this these days. But I will continue to post mine.
    English Lace Easter Sunday 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  7. Acerholic

30th May 2022 and my English Lace is a very happy maple this year. It has enjoyed this Spring weather.
    English Lace 29th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  8. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Derek, I had to abandon my English Lace a year ago due to an argument with cancer. At the time I moved it had been in the ground for 6 years and was about 5 feet tall when I first planted it. It was only a couple of feet taller but had grown wider than tall. I was very sorry to have to leave it behind and I understand the new owner of the property has cleared out several trees, I do not know if he left the English Lace.
    I still do not see many photos of the tree on Google search. Last I looked there were five photos and four of them were of my tree.
    I am now living in a high elevation (2700 feet) near Boise Idaho where summers are quite hot. I'm told that without significant shade, which I do not have, Japanese maples do not do well but I am still hopeful that I will be able to find varieties that will do well. I will post a general query seeing if I can get any suggestions.
    I miss my trees!!

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

So sorry to hear your story @Geezer840, but it sounds like your argument has been won. The big C can hit at any moment to anyone, so, so scary. Re English Lace, it is not often seen or marketed. I'm very happy I have it. Mine is only a 5 years old and copes with the Zone 8b quite nicely.
    Looking at your location, I'm not sure if it would cope there. But they do surprise us and if you can get some significant shade then who knows !!
    I've seen members on the forum from Spain with temperatures in the 40°c and they are doing very well in the circumstances.
    So my thoughts are, don't give up on having the maple you really want.....
    Good luck and take care.

10. Acerholic

14th May 2023 and amongst the greens my English Lace is standing out quite nicely this year.
    PXL_20230514_114253512.jpg

11. Acerholic

24th July 2023 and my English Lace is loving this weather here in Southern England this year.
    PXL_20230723_114327792.jpg

12. Acerholic

3rd October 2023 and the Autumnal colours are starting on my Enlish Lace.
    PXL_20231003_093817070.jpg

13. Acerholic

30th October 2023 and what a change to scarlet red on my English Lace.
    PXL_20231030_112520008.jpg