Identification: ID request: Red Dawn that isn't a Red Dawn...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Xi-feng, May 28, 2022.

1. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Hi all, hope you can help with this -- @Acerholic suggested putting up an ID request to see if anyone has any ideas, so fingers crossed someone can name this little thing.

I bought this 'Red Dawn' at the end of last year when it was shedding its leaves so didn't get a good look at it until it started leafing out this spring. Here's the progression so far this year, and it's quite pretty but as @LoverOfMaples pointed out, it's not the Red Dawn it was advertised as being. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it actually is? Thanks for taking a look!

March:
    20220326 Red Dawn.jpg

April:
    20220403 Red Dawn.jpg 20220409 Red Dawn.jpg 20220415 Red Dawn.jpg

May:
    IMG_3075.jpg

Edit: More photos of May leaves:
    IMG_3101.jpg IMG_3102.jpg IMG_3104.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know what it is but I just wanted to say it is rather nice... there can't be many reticulated cultivars that have such a deeply divided leaf shape so that is an avenue to look down. Where did it come from, might provide a clue?

Xi-feng likes this.
  3. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Not sure what it is sorry... But it is lovely!

Xi-feng likes this.
  4. Xi-feng

Thanks guys, I do rather like it (even if I was kind of in love with my idea of getting a Red Dawn at last...) it came from Stephen Roff on eBay, who does all sorts of interesting (and sometimes quite rare) cultivars... which is awesome, but also means it could be literally anything. What a mystery!

5. Cattwooduk

You git... I clicked the link to his eBay shop, spent an hour looking up a whole load of the ones I've never heard of and and now I have a couple on their way.

Suppose I should say thank you haha!

Ordered a reticulatum purple and itami nishiki

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Xi was this from Hippo ? If so I'm thinking you might have a 'Tiger Rose'.
    It is very very pretty, so don't be too upset at not having Red Dawn.

Xi-feng likes this.
  7. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

My guess would be Aka Shigitatusawa, primary based on a photo that's just been posted on Facebook and that another person over there also ordered from the same supplier and thinks they have been sent an AS by accident.

Xi-feng likes this.
  8. Xi-feng

Mwahahaha, and so it goes! I've been tempted into so many trees by looking at pics on this forum, I suppose turnaround is fair play ;) Stephen Roff is particularly dangerous to the wallet though, and he always has new stuff whenever I check. Do post your new ones when they arrive (I've been toying with the idea of getting an itami nishiki from him myself, so would love to see yours!)

Thanks D -- it was actually another Stephen Roff purchase rather than Hippo, and sometimes they do mix things up (that said, when I was linking to the eBay site I noticed he has another Red Dawn in stock.... now it's all leafed out I'm thinking surely I wouldn't get two mislabelled ones, so I'm tempted to take another punt at it! This one is very pretty, but it would be nice to have a Red Dawn as well as whatever-this-is!

Hmm, thanks for this! I have an AS and the spring growth was quite different from this one so I'm not sure, but perhaps different trees doing different things? I've had a few instances where this seller sometimes sends the wrong trees out (I ordered Hatsukoi, received Hatsu Shigure) but if you contact him when the parcel arrives he's very good about fixing mistakes, and I got a Hatsukoi sent out to me for free the next day which was very nice. I suppose since this came with the 'correct' label and it's been six or seven months now it's too late to get back in contact, but it's a pretty tree so I'm happy to grow it on and see what becomes of it.

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  9. Cattwooduk

I had a Toshi in my basket as well but decided to wait for now. There's a few nice pictures on Google and mrmaple but not much in here. Has anyone got one?

Your pictures show quite a lot more peach/orange/cream than my Tiger Rose I got a couple of months ago. It's looked more or less the same since I got it, not really had any of the hues yours have shown.

It's one of my favourites of all the ones I got in my big order I made. Tiger rose, uncle ghost and sister ghost. I think... Maybe grandma ghost.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng likes this.
  10. Xi-feng

Ahh interesting - looks like my impostor is both darker and lighter than your Tiger Rose (yours is lovely!) so that's interesting. This one was definitely very red/pink when it first leafed out, which is why I didn't suspect a thing until it decided it wanted to green all in a flash!

11. Acerholic

Have a look at Reticulatum Como Xi. I know Stephen Rolph sells that one?
    Lots of head scratching here over this ID... lol

Xi-feng likes this.
  12. Xi-feng

Oooh, it's a thought but I have Como and this impostor is much more deeply-divided in the leaves. Headscratcher is the perfect word for it!!

13. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

The picture I was referring to above.
    FB_IMG_1653809159502.jpg

Xi-feng likes this.
  14. Xi-feng

Ahh that's interesting! Mine looks to be a bit more deeply-divided in the leaves than that one, but it's very pretty! I've just ordered another Red Dawn from the same seller so we shall see what arrives this time (fingers crossed all trees being leafed out means I'll get the right thing!) Just endlessly fascinated by what this little impostor actually might be!

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Acerholic

I'm still on the Reticulatum search. How about Reticulatum Red !!? Goes very green at this time of the year. But not sure if Stephen had this one for sale.
    More deeply divided lobes than Como.
    But Reticulatum Red and Red Dawn could have been the mix up.

Xi-feng likes this.
  16. Xi-feng

That's a good thought -- I had a look online and couldn't find any photos of Reticulatum Red during its green phase, so I went out and took some more close-ups of my impostor. What do you think? Leaf-shape looks similar, though I wonder if my little guy is still more deeply divided than the Reticulatum Red pics online (though it's hard to tell sometimes, granted!)

IMG_3101.jpg IMG_3102.jpg IMG_3104.jpg

And my Beni Shigitatsu Sawa for reference, since Aka Shigitatsu Sawa was suggested earlier in the thread:

IMG_3099.jpg

17. Acerholic

As suggested earlier, I think an email to Stephen might be the best course of action. He might be able to point out what you have. But I'm sure others will keep looking and thinking.

Xi-feng likes this.