Appreciation: Spring maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Once a week and usually on Monday morning, I'm up early in the garden weeding for a while before breakfast. I hear the commuters going off to the office etc etc and think to myself, ' how lucky I am to be staying amongst my maples'. So here are a few calming photos for those who are starting the working week.
    Beni Otake................................................Iijima sunago................................Goimg Green
    Beni Otake 23rd May 2022.JPG Iijima sunago 22nd May 2022.JPG Going Green 23rd May 2022.JPG
    Metamorphosa....................................... Mystic Jewel..................................Matsukaze
    Metamorphosa 23rd May 2022.JPG Mystic Jewel 23rd May 2022.JPG Matsu kaze 23rd May 2022.JPG
    Twombley's Red Sentinel.....................Shigitatsu sawa.............................Ukigumo
    Twombley's Red Sentinel 22nd May 2022.JPG Shigitatsu sawa 23rd May 2022.JPG Ukigumo 22nd May 2022.JPG

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looking Fabulous (with a capital F)!

Derek, how does your Goshiki shidare do for variegation? I seem to recalling they are not reliable, but can't remember where I heard it.

Cheers, -E

dicky5ash likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Hi Emery, hope your all well now. Re my Goshiki shidare, the variegation is very stable. But I have heard the same, can't remember who from though.
    Here is mine from yesterday.
    Acer palmatum 'Goshiki shidare'

4. emery

Thanks, pretty much recovered. Just back from our 35th wedding anniversary WE in Brittany, quite a splurge. I may never eat again! There were a surprising number of JMs growing on the coast, in sheltered positions of course. The hotel had a rather sad 'Deshojo' in need of a little love, with some signs of v. wilt unfortunately. Didn't take any pictures of it...

That's a great thread, thanks! Interesting to see Ed's garden back in 2006, it's all filled in now, his maples grow with an incredible force. Your GS looks great, I can see the variegation better in some of the photos than others; I think you must be right that it's one of those difficult cultivars to photograph. Def on my want list!

AlainK, dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I find taking a good full tree photo of many variegated dissectums , and Lineariborums like red Pygmy and Ekan is a nightmare!!!

6. dicky5ash

Scolopendrifolium

Attached Files:

7. dicky5ash

Mine gets dappled sun most of the day..the top leaves are clearly getting more they have almost turned solid red..the sides are more or less like photo 2

Cattwooduk likes this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Last time I went to the city center, in Orléans, I noticed that more restaurants than I had noticed before had potted Japanese maples outside. All of them green ones, but I think there was a 'Sango kaku'.

But none of the two "Japanese" restaurants that I know in this area (only one is a "true" J. restaurant). Only tables and chairs with a lot of people enjoying the summer-like weather.

9. dicky5ash

Ginkgo is starting to worry me..I thought leaving it in its 75ltr pot would stunt its growth but it’s reaching for the stars

Attached Files:

MapleMO, Acerholic, D97x7 and 3 others like this.
  10. dicky5ash

Koto no Ito on LHS with Ukigumo..am please to see it is throwing out some leaves in the mid section..was all top canopy and nothing below

Attached Files:

11. AlainK

Gingko have a strong upward growth. "Jappanse bonsai" usually show what we call "Flame" bonsai, all branches growing upward, which is a normal shape for very old specimens. It's getting too dark to take photos, but I have a "bonsai" that I keep with branches apart like the 100-year-old that is in "Jardin des plantes", and an air-layered one that looks like sky-rocketting, like yours : prune it!

dicky5ash likes this.
  12. emery

My little gingko seedling is about 5 cm. Does this mean there's hope?? :)

The news on the car radio was full of talk about the storms in Chatreauroux, which I think is not too far from you Alain? Hope you weren't bothered, but managed to get some rain out of it. We got a lordly 8mm today...

13. AlainK

Yes, there is.

Ginkgo will first settle, then grow. Ginkgos dont die, at worst they wait.

40 years ago, I used to be the "weather man" on a "free radio". There was to be pulled down.

Now there are hundreds ligning up our streets.

emery likes this.
  14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well today the Love of my Life took me out since Ive been super house/couch bound from about May 5th. As someone who typically works 6 days a week there is a level of insanity that accompanies being so confined. We went to a new garden store yah a happy place!!!! We were able to get a couple that we had on the list - so amazing.

EMMA - Thanks @ROEBUK for identify one of the trees in your pictures that I fancied I can’t believe I found it!!! And I showed my partner your recent garden pictures and he immediately looked at me with the look of disappointment and said “why doesn’t our place look like that? why dont we have more trees that create a layered landscape and stuff? Our place looks like hobbie joe”. Seriously I cannot believe he said that. Anyway thanks for inspiring him now we have tons more trees to get and fit into our yard. Then he asks “who’s looking after these when we go to Italy this summer?” Seriously !!!!
    FB9FDD12-E618-4EDD-AAD1-A3984C97DE3F.jpeg 1B966391-31BD-4361-8B22-A695B929B5C1.jpeg
    Green River - I have never heard of this one before but we found it to be just lovely, it was the only one there and the only time I’ve ever seen one.
    AA7B84B6-F2D9-4A6F-AED9-A8599FC40313.jpeg 2CF6B028-5A30-4278-AD69-881EF460550A.jpeg
    Spring Delight - this is becoming a fairly available cultivar in the lower mainland of BC and I’ve been on the fence with it for a while, but my partner just threw it on a cart when he saw it so I made no comment and accepted the additional tree :)
    1B4FF9B0-CF52-4D05-BC56-FA8BB3DC7459.jpeg E8C5874D-180A-4A4E-81D6-0568E83CCC87.jpeg
    WATNOG - Thank you to a couple of you, I cannot remember who recommended it because we liked the Baldsmith but could never find a reasonable sized one. This was recommended as it is smaller and its the first time as well that I’ve ever seen one and only recently heard of one on this forum. And yes we are aware it looks like a rats nest. There was one other that did look more appealing but my partner and I felt that this little guy would get overlooked because he looks just so beat to hell to be honest. So for whatever reason we felt he needed a loving home where he would thrive and be appreciated no matter the current or future state.. I realize we are getting a little too attached to the trees but we are doing it together so its gotta be ok right? Hahahaha

F0F6F0C2-B54E-41E6-B8FC-CBA7E016DCAB.jpeg FDACF555-0636-41F2-A6E2-24DDAB66F7EF.jpeg

maf, Xi-feng, dangerine49 and 8 others like this.
  15. AlainK

Hahahaha : hey, good good good... ; 0)

(reading Thomas Pynchon, Vineland at the moment)

Lisa Harry likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Well here in the UK we know when Spring is heading into Summer, as the Chelsea Flower Show is upon us again. Don't think I could manage the crowds again.... So I'm sat in the peace and quiet of our own garden and I thought of some tranquil looking maples to post today.
    Orange Dream...................................................................Oridono nishiki x2
    Orange Dream 24th May 2022.JPG Oridono nishiki 24th May 2022 (2).JPG Oridono nishiki 24th May 2022.JPG
    Reticulatum..........................................Corallinum........................................Murasaki kiyohime
    Reticulatum 24th May 2022.JPG Corallinum 24th May 2022.JPG Murasaki kiyohime 24th May 2022.JPG
    Geisha.................................................Amber Ghost........................................Westonbirt Orange
    Geisha 24th May 2022 (2).JPG Amber Ghost 24th May 2022.JPG Westonbirt Orange 24th May 2022.JPG
    Milligan...................................................Sister Ghost.......................................Geisha
    Milligan 24th May 2022.JPG Sister Ghost 24th May 2022.JPG Geisha 24th May 2022.JPG
    Murasaki kiyohime...................................Lionheart.....................................Ryusen
    Murasaki kiyohime 24th May 2022 (2).JPG Lionheart 24th May 2022.JPG Ryusen 24th May 2022.JPG

wind-borne, maf, Xi-feng and 9 others like this.
  17. Acerholic

Well it's medals day at Chelsea this morning. So much stress wondering if you were voted a Gold or not. I just strolled around my trees looking and enjoying, all very relaxed with coffee in hand... So here are a few that got my vote in my garden a few minutes ago.
    Ruby Stars..........................................Wakehurst Pink.........................................Aoyagi
    Ruby Stars 25th May 2022.JPG Wakehurst Pink 25th May 2022.JPG Ayogi 25th May 2022.JPG
    Olivia x 2 ...............................................................................................................Wilsons Pink Dwarf
    Olivia 25th May 2022.JPG Olivia 25th May 2022 (2).JPG Wilsons Pink Dwarf 25th May 2022.JPG
    Aconitifolium......................................Marlo..................................................Hagoromo
    Aconitifolium 25th May 2022.JPG Marlo 25th May 2022.JPG Hagoromo 25th May 2022.JPG
    Koyuki
    Ko yuki 25th May 2022.JPG

18. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Ooh, I'm sure I've seen ruby stars before but never had that "I need that one!" Feeling, but that looks lovely!

Quick questions -
    1. How big is your garden?
    2. How many cultivars do you have?
    3. What are you using to take your pictures?

19. Cattwooduk

These are a couple of seedlings I've grown myself from random seeds I bought from Herons, they were labelled and sold as "Nomura".
    There are a few others which had really interesting early spring colour which I forgot to picture, mostly colour has faded to green now. Going to pot them on today, they're pretty strong.

Attached Files:

20. Cattwooduk

This is my kids little play house, complete with its own garden . By the fence on the right is Ukigumo, near right Inabre Shidare, near left Seiryu, rear left Oridono Nishiki.

And then after that this is one corner of the garden which is looking nice at the moment.
    Right to left, Seiryu, Oridono Nishiki, Butterfly, Shishigashira. Then a Hawthorn 'Paul's Scarlett', Twombly's Red Sentinel, Autumn Moon, Beni Hagoromo.

Last photo is of all my little ghost series and a couple of others I bought from Hippo a couple of months back when I got hit with loads of availability emails! I think Tiger rose and Uncle Ghost have to be the ones which have really stood out the most for me.

Edit: oh and that's a dissectum Nigrum just behind them.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Hi, my garden is typical detached house size of around 1/8 acre
    I have 200 cultivars at present plus 20 species maples.
    I use a simple point and shoot Panasonic DMC4Z38 camera.
    Re Ruby Stars or Beni hoshi as it is known here. It really is the most lovely cultivar. Also slow growing.
    Hope thats of help.

22. dicky5ash

I know you’ve seen my Tsuma Gaki before but here it is a month on..

When I first saw this tree 7/8 years ago in the nursery I salvaged it from (2years ago) I recall a district upright mound form..but it’s definitely going for a “spreading star” form these days

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

One of the best around R, so I never tire from seeing it.

24. dicky5ash

Thanks - seems to be quite hit and miss - if you happen to find a strong one all good otherwise….

25. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

That’s a really cool setup