What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You are well prepared Sulev, I'm so glad to hear that. I did just go weak at the knees hearing you have your own forest. That's my dream... Lol.
    Rain water harvesting is perhaps the way forward for your crops. It is a fairly big money investment, but will pay dividends further along the road.
    My fingers are crossed for some rain for you.

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Own forest = a few hectares of former farmland, that grew into forest during the Soviet occupation.
    I collect rainwater. I have ca 4000 L of tanks, they were all full of snow water from the pile, that protected my fig trees.
    this snow pile on the photo is already consumed for watering my garden.
    20220106_130831v.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Hard to know what's best, crops to feed people or trees for the planet !! But a few hectares.... Still drooling Lol.

4. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

I'd love to let you know what the weather is like outside, but I can't. We are completely fogged in!

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Lol.......

6. Keith Elliott

For the record, the forecast is for thunderstorms both this morning (?) and this afternoon. Seems somewhat odd, as it is only 5.7ºC as we speak.

7. Acerholic

It does seem you are having everything thrown at you over there Keith. But if it's fog, then that usually precedes a nice day. Hopefully it does for you both.

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well sat here watching the tv with the gas fire on and looking out of the window watching the rain pouring down also !!

9. Acerholic

So a normal Spring evening in England then M...........

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Exactly !! but saying that everything in the garden is more or less out now , and we dodged the spring frost bullet thankfully with no issues :)

maf likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Same here M, so that's definatly one blessing to be thankful for.

12. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

and something very strange, the sky was the colour blue and 17C!
    First time in a long time with a 4-5 day forecast of similar weather pattern. Maybe spring has finally arrived.
    Here is a picture taken this afternoon of our "middle yard " garden. The rhoddodendron's are showing a bit of colour ( about 2 weeks later then normal.
    Acers from far left to right:
    from the back left, Ozakazuki, crimson queen, Autumn moon, red dragon, bonfire ( peach tone), Okagami in the background

Attached Files:

AlainK, maf, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  13. Acerholic

Glad to hear Otto. And what a lovely garden you have.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  14. Keith Elliott

Derek, not sure whether to have you take over the meteorological prognosticators' job or not. We didn't get any thundershowers at all, but we did get some mighty dark clouds. Just rain is all, plus the odd clear break. Toward the end of the day there was some sun, but it didn't amount to much.
    Later today, I see it is just after midnight here now, we are due for a mix of sunny breaks, clouds and showers. I think they just throw everything at us so that at least part of their forecast is right!
    Gardening schedule later today is to get the beans and peas transplanted out into the garden. Along with needing to fix the lower area in an attempt to make it more deer proof. It never ends....

maf and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

Lol....but one thing, it is interesting Keith. Hope you have a good gardening weekend with some nice settled Spring weather.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  16. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was out in the wilds of Cambridgeshire fishing on this night, true Fenland country so very flat topography, and we could see the storms and lightning coming in from a long, long way away. Nice to experience the power of nature far away from any towns or buildings.

Recent geopolitical events may have more to do with current high energy prices in Europe than the use of renewables but this forum is not the appropriate place to discuss those matters.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

Sounds like a very memorable experience M.

maf likes this.
  18. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Indeed, not a night I will forget in a hurry. The actual rainstorm lasted less than an hour but the buildup with the lightning moving closer was intense to say the least... there was lightening every few seconds and we could see it coming closer minute by minute...

19. Keith Elliott

...and over in the wilds of Western Canada, it is an absolutely gorgeous day! Nothing but sunshine and the occasional cumulus cloud over the mountains. Got the peas and beans transplanted, lawn mowed...again. Cannot believe how fast that grass grows now. Got the two gates made in an effort to keep the deer out of their feed patch.

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

A very productive weekend Keith. And in some wonderful Spring weather. And yes the grass almost appears to be growing in font of our eyes here also. BTW the is a campaign in the UK atm called 'No Mow May'. All to encourage insects etc. There are some very untidy lawns and verges around here. But Soooo much quieter without the weekend mowers !!! Is this something that happens in BC ??

21. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

My 2 cents . . . here on this 24th of May, Queen's Birthday long weekend when beautiful gardening weather has temporarily arrived . . . I have not been able to spend even 5 minutes out in the garden due to a bunch of volunteer commitments. I can tell you I am ROYALLY displeased.

Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  22. Keith Elliott

Can't say that I have heard of "No mow May", but considering that I use a cordless mower, I doubt that anyone can barely hear it. They are wonderfully quiet and easy to use. The only trouble I've had is moving so much heavy grass from the lawn to the compost pile. In a matter of just four days, it grew some 4". Next mowing I will make sure to leave at least 3" of grass after the mow in order to allow the grass to shade the ground. At least that's what I read. Next lawn project is to fill in all the blank spots with some fresh seed. Now seems like a good time to do that, before the next heat wave hits.

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  23. Keith Elliott

That will teach you to volunteer! Hopefully your good weather will continue on for at least a few more days so you can catch up Margot! Our forecast is pretty decent, but still the showers are returning yet again. At least things are finally warming up after that extremely prolonged cold spell.

Margot likes this.
  24. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It was stil 26°C here on Sunday. The rain came during the night, and it rained some more this morning. I was afraid of hail strorms, but they struck further south, about 120 km from here. I saw photos of hailstones the size of a hand, or a tennis ball. Lots of roofs and cars were damaged.

Here, the rain was just what was needed, almost no wind, and the temps fell to 18°C. We've been lucky this time, contrary to others...

Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  25. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

(I've removed the last remnants of the political conversation -- Daniel)

After exeptionally hot and dry weather, we had some rain at last. But the coming weeks are supposed to be very dry, if a bit cooler.

So much for the climate-change deniers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2022