A novice lawn question!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Keith Elliott, May 2, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Keith I'm sorry to see that. Wondering more and more if you have Leatherjackets in the soil. Those grubs can cause this problem in a big way.
    I've had this problem many years ago, but with the use of Nemetodes in late September and again in Spring, it kills them all very naturally.

D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Keith Elliott likes this.
  2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Slowly, but surely, I am learning about grass. Given the awful winter here, I was more than a little concerned as to how the grass might have survived. But I needn't have worried.

I used the scarifier, but just with the spring drum on it. I couldn't believe how much dead grass it removed. In fact, I did it twice just to be sure, and even then we filled up another wheelbarrow load.

I since have mowed the grass three times now, all this rain has really got it growing. Both the upper lawn, which was turf we bought, and the lower lawn, which we did from seed are doing well.

I have had trouble finding sand suitable for the lawns. I suppose I could drop in to the local golf course and ask there where they get theirs from.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to try and fill in the dead spots and add new seed. It's nowhere near as bad as it was last year, although the very top part, close to the road, still isn't doing that well. We often see the deer up there when we arrive home, and they still aren't the least bit afraid of us. Perhaps they have contributed to the demise of that grass....?

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You have answered your own question Keith. That is what I would suggest as well. The green keepers at golf clubs are usually the most helpful of people. But remember, no sand with salt. I used to use river sand on my lawns.

4. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Yes, I suppose I have. Down at the coast there is a never ending supply of river sand from the Fraser river. I'm not sure where it would come from up this way. I shall inquire the next time we go for the mail. We pass right by the golf course on our way. Thanks Derek.

Acerholic likes this.