Cold hardiness of Japanese maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaspian, May 5, 2008.

1. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have lost two palmatums to winter frost decades ago (it was below -30ºC that winter). Currently I own only one young palmatum in a container, will not leave it outdoors for next couple of winters.
    Last winter even my pseudosieboldianum got severe frostbite - everything above the snow layer was dead for spring, despite the temperature lows hit ca -22ºC only.

Shauna156 and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I don't think there is anybody else on the maples forum growing these trees in such severe conditions as you Sulev. My hat goes off to you for purservering.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Actually there are several palmatums and pseudosieboldianums in the Japanese garden in Tallinn. There even those palmatums, that were planted last summer, suffered only minimal damage this winter. Pseudosieboldianums there are large trees, above 6 meters, they did not suffer at all. My pseudosieboldianums are young seedlings, on their 3rd leafing. Their first winter they spent in my greenhouse, then only 50% survived of initial 8. Then voles attacked. Last fall only two trees remained. For this spring only one remained. I took a cutting of it and I hope it will take. I suppose,that if my maples manage to reach over 1 m in height, then they will be much safer. Just above the snow is the coldest zone.

Shauna156 and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

I will not complain about the odd Spring frost ever again after hearing this Sulev.

Shauna156 likes this.
  5. Shauna156

Shauna156 New Member

I've also been looking for a cold zone thread! So far I've found a few scattered about but most are quite old. I'm in zone 4b/5a in northern ontario which will definitely be pushing it but I have a nice little microclimate in my backyard w/lots of protection from winds. Crossing fingers and toes that a little maple or two might be able to live here! I've heard good things about sieboldianum Kumoi Nishiki in the cold so hunting for that tree in Ontario now!

Also, thanks so much for the great article @emery !!

6. Maks

Maks New Member

I have been trying for the 4th year to grow maples from seeds, mainly species, but also some varietal palmatums, including from the seeds of the MapleSociety. I will be glad to share my experience. Russia, 4th zone.

7. Acerholic

Good morning @Maks and welcome to the Maple forum. I look forward to seeing how you progress in quite trying conditions.

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Welcome to the forum Maks.

Are you in Чехов , near Moscow ? The winter must be very harsh there, but with the climate change, you'll soon raise oranges if it goes on like that... ;°)

9. Maks

Maks New Member

Hi Alain!
    You are absolutely right!
    Yes, I'm already getting ready - I'm germinating palm seeds from Turkey))).
    Seriously, yes, in recent years our winters are getting warmer, rain on Xmas is no longer news on the front page.

10. Maks

Maks New Member

Hi Acerholic!
    I will post information about my successes and failures as much as possible))

AlainK and Acerholic like this.