Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Update on my Hana Matoi.

I still have never seen any candy pinks or cream variegation swirls on my plant. The colors are nice none the less but it still has me wondering if it was mislabeled at the nursery in Washington. Do they revert or do they show heavy variegation on old branches? Anybody own a Hana Matoi that doesn't get cream/pink colors?

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Connor, the variegation appears as the leaves age, (it is subtle), it doesn't appear in early Spring. As you can see by my photo #125, they are only just turning. My tree is several years old BTW. Your photo 2 is showing signs of turning, so wait until next month and you should see more variegation.

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I agree. Putting it in a rather sunny place helps too.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  4. Acerholic

19th May 2022 and after a lot of chat on the forum about this cultivar I thought I would post this to show how the variegation is slow to come through on new leaves. But as can be seen, it is starting. It is June when the variegation happens on this one.
    Hana Matoi 19th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  5. Connor Sullivan

I visited Sam at EastFork Nursery back in July and I had to ask her the question...

"Does Hana Matoi revert?"

Sam said yes and she had also recently received a order from Buchholz nursery with some reverted.

I've been emailing with Cloud Mountain Nursery in Washington, where I had gotten my Hana Matoi... and after my inquiry about mine... they checked out their stock mother and found she had reverted!

From what I've observed from my mothers Hana Matoi is variegation comes right from the start, it doesn't slowly happen over time. I hate to say that I think our Hana Matoi have reverted @Acerholic :(

Here is a picture of new growth from my moms tree.

IMG_1583.jpg . IMG_1581.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  6. Acerholic

Hi Connor @Connor Sullivan I have found it depends on the year tbh. The older leaves do turn rather than earlier leaves. But yes it can revert as most variegated maples. Here's mine a few minutes ago.
    20220907_154715.jpg

7. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have had problems with Hana matoi liners from Buchholz Nursery - the only wholesale nursery I buy from. Of the 25 liners I received this year 13 did not show any pink. In the past I had potted up Hana matoi liners that never showed pink and after 4-5 years of growth and now in a 3 gallon container they still did not show one iota of pink. Nicely shaped weepers were given away to customers free. So this year I tossed the 13 liners with no pink and potted up the other 12. The Hana matoi I received from Buchholz in 2020 are showing pink, but as you know this is a very, very slow growing weeper. What I still want to know is this- Did Talon take the scion wood from a branch without pink or if he only took scion wood from a branch with pink did it revert after the grafting process. I have yet to ask him.

I for one can document that the pink does not arrive with age. If it doesn't have pink when it is young it isn't going to get any!

8. Acerholic

9th October 2022 and some pretty colours this morning in the chilly dew. It has done OK considering the long Summer drought.
    Hana Matoi 9th October 2022.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  9. Acerholic

14th May 2023 and my first entry of my Hana matoi this season.
    PXL_20230514_114832474.jpg PXL_20230514_114842281.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  10. AlainK

It's never disappointing. The leaves appear red, then the variegation comes later.

acerp-hanamatoi_230514a.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_230514b.jpg

11. Connor Sullivan

My "Hana Matoi" is completely reverted... no sense in calling it a Hana Matoi anymore. Bummed. :(

12. Acerholic

Hi Connor, Hana matoi does tend to have the variegation as the leaves age. So give it a little more time and a bit more sun if you can.

AlainK likes this.
  13. Connor Sullivan

I wish that were the case but it's simply not... My mom has a Hana Matoi and it's bursting with pink and cream right now. Mine was a dud... :(

I believe Sam's post clarified everything, the cultivar is known to revert and nurseries have been unknowingly selling reverted trees. I'm sorry for the bluntness and I wish it wasn't the case.

14. Acerholic

Sorry to hear that Connor. Perhaps it's time to replace from a reputable seller.

15. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The "will it" or "wont it" cultivar i find , had numerous ones over the years. Some looked good one year then nothing the next year, put them in the ground and the variegation seemed to disappear completely, find picture of a small group which i had planted out some years back now. Out for two years in the ground and nothing, the top left hand corner one had terrific colours when in a pot the previous years before this passed over !! Managed to lose all but three of these during a bad frost one year , so dug the remaining survivors all up and back into pots again , pics of two from last year which coloured up nicely?? but have since departed from this years bad frosts !!! So one left in it's pot now , looks ok but no colours as yet !! Will keep you informed how this one fairs , looks healthy but......

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    Connor Sullivan, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Can't believe you're down to the last one M. Hope it survives.
    Also your post should give Connor some hope at least.

AlainK likes this.
  17. ROEBUK

No Derek actually found another one this morning , so i now have two :) If you look very closely on some of the leaf you can just make out some ever so slight colour change !!! Time will tell , hope so because they both have a nice shape fingers crossed .

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

Now that's a good day when you find another maple in your garden.....
    Good luck with both of them M.

ROEBUK likes this.
  19. AlainK

That's good news!
    As I wrote before, the variegation appears later, especially if you place it where it can get some sun a few hours a day.
    This year, the variegation showed earlier than last year, when it took so much time to appear that I thought it would never show. So the weather conditions may be a factor too.
    Fingers crossed for yours because yes, it's a beautiful one.

ROEBUK likes this.
  20. ROEBUK

Wait until you find one in the garden and you don't remember buying it and then you cant remember what the hell it is because you didn't put a tag on it !!!!!

Acerholic and maf like this.
  21. Acerholic

Lol...I think we've all been there M.

22. Connor Sullivan

I was lucky and found a nice tall 3ft Hana Matoi at a local nursery. Shows a lot of variegation on the old and new growth!

IMG_3600.jpg IMG_3603.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

What a good buy and lovely photos Connor.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  24. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I love Hana matoi - one of my favs even though it is so slow growing and the trunk is always thin. The foliage can be breathtaking. As most of you know I am ending my maple business and retiring. But I do have 7 one gallon Hana matoi left that are about 30" tall and 4 years old.

Altogether I have around 500 maples left, but I am so burned out from the heat waves this summer I can't find the energy to put a plan together to sell them or give them away. Hana matoi does not ship well in a box so I will only ship to a location that can arrive in one day - Oregon and Washington. All of my last maples are $20 each and I would prefer that people come to the nursery with their trucks, bring cash, and load them up. But if you live in WA or OR I am willing to put myself through the chore of packing and shipping for $25 flat rate per box and I can ship two to a box.

The photo is my landscape Hana matoi from 2015.

Attached Files:

Connor Sullivan, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  25. goldyygold5

goldyygold5 New Member

What trees do you have for sale, and do you ship to Indiana?