Color change on newly planted Osakazuki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ijsnyder, May 13, 2022.

1. ijsnyder

ijsnyder Member

I am seeing a color change from green to peach (not the other way around!) on a newLy planted (1 gal) Osakazuki.
    It has morning sun and afternoon shade. I loosened the soil for a considerable distance around the tree and added some decomposed pine bark fines. We have had days in the 70s and low 80s and rain at night. I have planted 7 other JMs in past years without trouble (some, in fact, getting less afternoon shade!). Do I need to give it anything for transplant shock? Or (!) defoliate? I won’t do anything rash without input from the experts! :-)

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That is just a little bit of transplant shock. I would leave it alone to settle for this year and do nothing else to it. Sometimes we do want to assist our trees, when the best thing to do is do nothing.
    Those colours are very typical BTW for a Osakazuki for Spring.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My O-sakazuki tends to be peach-coloured in spring before getting green in summer...

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I agree: transplant shock, do nothing. Certainly don't defoliate it! It will probably color up (maybe less red than usual) and lose leaves a bit early.

It may need a little more water than nature is providing. But it sounds like you've got a good handle on that.

All roots aren't created equal, this one may just be having a little bit of a harder time getting its feet under it than your previous plantations. Personally I don't plant this small, but I'd be unconcerned with a newly planted JM showing a bit of stress coloring.

-E