Texas weed?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by karin64, May 10, 2022.

1. karin64

karin64 New Member

I’m hoping somebody here might have an idea of what plant this might be. In all my years (over 40) living in the Houston area I’ve never seen this plant. It grows abundantly in my back yard and loves the shade. It’s impossible to pull up as the stalk is very easy to break. It’s like a succulent in this way and the leaves are a little puffy as well. There are tiny yellow, orange to plum colored berries and tiny lavender flowers that never seem to open up.

I know this isn’t a forum for Texas plants but I’m hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

My wild guess would be Euonymus.
    I've heard, that Euonymus fortunei is invasive in many states.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not sure what it is, but it isn't Euonymus - wrong fruit structure for that.

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

The fruit from OP-s photo seems to be divided into several compartments like fruits of Euonymus:
    fruit-structure.jpg

I can't see more structure details from the photo. @Michael F please specify, what fruit structure elements from the photo contradict with Euonymus?
    I suppose, these aren't mature fruits.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Does plant have a unusually long and orange taproot...?

Another wild guess:
    Talinum paniculatum

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The very long, slender, paniculate inflorescences (rather than thick-stemmed cymose) and small fruit. It's altogether too 'delicate', Euonymus much 'coarser'. Also E. fortunei (and a.f.a.i.k. all Euonymus) flowers are green; this has bright pink flowers (pic #4).

8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Inflorescence (or its shape or structure) is not exactly a fruit structure. Color of flowers - also not. I think, there was no flowers in full bloom on the OP-s photos.
    I agree, that this plant is possibly a Talinum, but I see plenty of similarities with Euonymus on OP-s photos. There are ca 130 species in the genus Euonymus, pink and orange are represented in Euonymus fruit colors.
    [​IMG]

Talinum flowers are like this:
    Talinum crassifolium | Talinum crassifolium

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  9. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Google image search "Euonymus cochinchinensis" has some results with pink Euonymus flowers:
    Euonymus cochinchinensis - Google Search

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agreed on the Talinum. Strange about not seeing the flowers ever open -- I would expect them to be open in brightest sun.

11. karin64

karin64 New Member

I want to apologize for not taking the time to react to any of the replies here! I had a garage sale this weekend and had too much on my plate getting ready for it and was too worn out. I am going to take more photos today and see if I can get some better close ups because I don't think that any of the guesses so far are correct, but I do appreciate everybody's input.

12. karin64

karin64 New Member

Ok- so I went out this morning and pulled one of these to photograph inside. I wish I had a better camera. I included my hand for scale. There are no hairs on either side of the leaves or any on the stems. The flowers and berries are tiny and I have yet to see an open flower. I will look again this afternoon. I snapped one of the leaves to get an idea of the thickness and I can see now that they are not puffy but they have the feel of succulent leaves- very soft and easy to break. I broke open one of the stems and there was a lot of clear liquid- kind of like aloe very but not with any gel. The dark berries have little round black seeds- about a dozen each. I'm curious to know if there is any medicinal value to this plant or if they are edible. Thanks again for all the replies!

Attached Files:

13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    karin64 likes this.
  14. karin64

karin64 New Member

Sulev- I think you are correct! I'm going to do more research and also try to get a look at an open flower, since it seems that the flowers do open after all- thanks for the vase tip. Thanks so much!!! Once i'm sure I will try a bite and give my opinion here on how it tastes to me. I'd really like something to add to my iceberg lettuce to get in more vitamins without having to buy spinach.

15. Sulev

Sulev Contributor