Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by stephen2602, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

They always surprise us....

D

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Reposting from other threads, but at this time of year Sango Kaku makes such an eye-catching contrast between my Osakazuki and Suminagashi:

20211030 Suminagashi, Sango Kaku.jpg 20211030 Osakazuki, Suminagashi, Sango Kaku-1.jpg

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Early evening by lamplight, an ideal front garden tree
    IMG_20211109_165327.jpg

Xi-feng, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Late afternoon. The branches were not as red as in previous years, probably because we hardly had any frost this year :

acerp_sangok02_220324a.jpg

maf and Xi-feng like this.
  5. Acerholic

10th April 2022 and some fresh new leaves on the red stems of my Sango kaku.
    Sango kaku April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. stg

stg Member

Just waking up, this one’s buried in a border.

1AC24B3A-C37D-4C36-AA6C-B93FCA7761B7.jpeg

Acerholic and Xi-feng like this.
  7. stg

stg Member

Another of mine, more established and fuller this time.

150094EB-B150-4C1B-8FC2-D8E9645D1DB7.jpeg 63DE757C-97AD-4B96-883B-FC819F9F134F.jpeg

Acerholic and Xi-feng like this.
  8. Alessandro01

Alessandro01 New Member

Hello everybody. I recently bought a sango kaku and am not very experienced. I noticed that the young leaves are a little yellow and that some new shoots have dried up. I am attaching the photos. I would like some advice. Thank you

Attached Files:

Xi-feng likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Good afternoon Alessandro and welcome to the maples forum. Now your Sango Kaku is doing what a lot of this cultivar do and that is die back. They are well known for doing this. In the first couple of years it is quite common.
    But there are things to help it along and settle to it's new environment. Firstly looking at your photo 1, you have some black stems that need to be removed. Next you need to ensure adequate water. Not too much, but if it is dry a regular watering is essential. Maples like moist roots. Not waterlogged, but moist. You don't say if it is in a pot or ground. If in the ground, then do ensure there is nothing touching the trunk and the soil allows for good drainage. If in a pot then ensure the same, but allow the top of the roots (nabari) to slightly show. This will ensure the trunk does not rot. Often people new to maples plant them way to deeply.
    Apart from that, it is just time with a Coral bark maple, allowing it to settle in.

10. Alessandro01

Alessandro01 New Member

Hello, I still keep the plant in a pot because I bought it a week ago. I always keep the soil moist and the black branches should be from last year. I really don't know what to do ... could it be ferric chlorosis?

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

It looks very healthy Alessandro, but as I said the Coral bark maples are well known for die back. Especially in the first couple of years in a new environment.
    Remove the blackened stems back to healthy wood and leave it alone. Do not feed and water when it becomes dry.
    Just a note, did the location of where you bought it from suffer some Spring frosts ?? This will cause blackening of the tips of newly opened buds. This is nothing to worry about and it will produce new leaves in the next few weeks
    And No, it isn't ferric chlorosis IMO.

12. Alessandro01

Alessandro01 New Member

yes, now I will remove the black branches. the problem is present only in young leaves. I hope he recovers taken. And yes, maybe it has suffered some late frost but not recently

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Those black young leaves will drop off naturally, but in a few weeks all will be well.

Alessandro01 likes this.
  14. Acerholic

16th May 2022 and I thought it time I posted my Sango Kaku. Now fully leafed out. This one is around 12ft tall. It really enjoyed the rain btw.
    Sago kaku 16th May 2022.JPG Sango kaku 16th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  15. Acerholic

23rd October 2022 and a fairly ordinary display this year. But it might change next week.
    Sangu kaku 22nd October 2022.JPG

Xi-feng, LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  16. Acerholic

29th May 2023 and I don't think there are many yellow/green leafed maples to touch Sango kaku and especially looking through the branches to a blue sky.
    PXL_20230529_100134288.jpg PXL_20230529_100114934.jpg

17. Acerholic

22nd October 2023 and some lovely blue skies called for a photo of my Sango kaku.
    PXL_20231022_111600111.jpg

AlainK likes this.