Acer palmatum 'Kin Pai'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Xi-feng, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

From Mr Maple:
    20220410 Kin Pai.jpg 20220415 Kin Pai.jpg

This is one I'm really excited about. Variegated Osakazuki? Sign me up!

maf and D97x7 like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The variegation is very subtle Xi, but it's there. Good purchase from Stephen Rolph I believe..

Xi-feng likes this.
  3. Xi-feng

Stepen Rolph indeed (am I getting predictable? :) ) I got so excited about this one I bought two: enjoying the subtle variegation, but I'm hoping it'll become a little stronger as the trees age - something like the Mr Maple photos would be most welcome once it gets a little older!

4. Acerholic

The Mr Maple videos make everything so very tempting. Such a shame that most take a good few years to come over here. It does seem it's vice versa as well. There are two others in the UK that have interesting stocks and they are Junkers and Packhorse Farm. The latter don't do mail order sadly. But all that being said, I feel that Stephen Rolph is an excellent choice for the more unusual cultivars out there.

Xi-feng likes this.
  5. Xi-feng

Newly-opened leaves showing some hints of red colour at the tips:

20220423 Kinpai-1.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  6. Acerholic

That is beautiful colouring Xi. Hope it stays that way as long as possible for you.

Xi-feng likes this.
  7. Xi-feng

My little Kin Pai is now the same colour as Osakazuki, but there's just something about this tree. It's just so cute:

20220430 Kin Pai.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Following this thread very closely Xi. It has a lot fresher more delicate green than Osakazuki at this time of the year. I can see why you call it cute.

Xi-feng likes this.
  9. Xi-feng

Thanks D -- it certainly seems like a happy little thing. Once it gets a bit bigger, hopefully I can do some comparisons between this and my Osakazuki without Kin Pai getting lost due to size differences!

10. Acerholic

I'll be watching for your Autumn comparison. It should be very interesting re the different reds. Isn't this fun!!

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Xi-feng

More fun than it has any right to be!

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Xi-feng

My little Kin Pai has that lovely fresh green tone going on, but my slightly bigger Kin Pai which was a bit later to leaf out is still showing some lovely red hints and interesting veining on the leaves:

20220502 Kin Pai.jpg

MapleMO, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

Now Osakazuki does not have that veining. Darn it, thats another on my wish list.

Xi-feng likes this.
  14. Xi-feng

Mwahahaha, mission accomplished! I got both mine from the esteemed Stephen Roff - hope you're able to get hold of one too D!

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Hmm maybe Xi. Might have to wait until next year. Space is really at a premium now.

Xi-feng likes this.
  16. Laurie Holmes

Laurie Holmes Member

I have this little tree from Steven Roff, too! I actually purchased it as Ken bu, but when it leafed out I had my suspicions it wasn’t that. I did some research and suspected Kin Pai, but couldn’t remember if Steven Roff sold that one and pictures of it varied online. You’ve just confirmed it for me, Xi! My tree is exactly the same. The labels have got mixed up at some point as the trees must have been next to one another alphabetically in the stock. I do like this little tree and absolutely love the pale, red-striped new growth. First pictures are from when it first started to leaf out back at the start of April, then pictures of its progression with the beautiful yellow with red tiger stripped new growth against the older green leaves

Attached Files:

D97x7, Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

Now that's two for me to drool over lol. Oh for more space!!! Very pretty Laurie.

Laurie Holmes likes this.
  18. Xi-feng

Ooh you got a big one! It's looking lovely and very healthy, Laurie - hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine, and please keep posting pictures! :)

Acerholic and Laurie Holmes like this.
  19. Laurie Holmes

Laurie Holmes Member

Thank you ☺️ I know what you mean about space. I am pretty much at capacity now, too

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Xi-feng

Little Kin Pai, still with that fresh green colour.

20220528 Kin Pai.jpg

21. Acerholic

Transitioning to Summer there in London I see Xi. It's a fascinating time with maples IMO.

Xi-feng likes this.
  22. Xi-feng

My (slightly larger) Kin Pai that gets more sun is actually showing some subtle variegation: look at the delicate red tips on the leaves, how pretty is that?

20220602 Kin Pai.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  23. Acerholic

Very pretty indeed Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  24. Xi-feng

My (slightly smaller) Kin Pai with almost an ombre progression from green on the left to red on the right. Funky!

20220625 Kinpai.jpg

25. Xi-feng

My (slightly bigger) Kin Pai is turning an interesting shade of red. I'm not sure if this is a standard colour-change for this cultivar at this time of year or if its a bit stressed: one of my Osakazukis is doing exactly the same thing, and we know how closely related these two cultivars are. Still, it's pretty!

20220702 Kin Pai-2.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.