Acer campbellii ‘Exuberance’

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Worldly_Wrangler, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Leafs out with a reddish green color. Leaves seem larger than the standard palmatum cultivars. Said to be less cold hardy than palmatum. A Talon Bucholtz introduction.

Attached Files:

AlainK, maf, Xi-feng and 2 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Campbell's maples I've heard are less tolerant to the cold than palmatum. But against your wall should be ideal @Worldly_Wrangler

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hey guys, the correct spelling for the species is "campbellii" with two 'i's. TIA for correcting the typo in the thread title, admins! :)

A. campbellii is usually not very hardy, although Esveld puts it in Zone 7, I'd be more likely to say 9. It has quite a wide range though, so a lot will depend on the area and altitude. There is a lot of variation, but this one does have a (palmatum) hybrid look to it. Usually they don't do much for autumn color, so it will be interesting to see how this turns out in that respect. Cmpbell's maple is pretty widely variable.

Worldly_Wrangler, maf and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

All done E.

Worldly_Wrangler and emery like this.
  5. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Unfortunately I planted it about 5 feet from that wall and it got damaged from the snow and cold temperature. Hoping for a 2nd flush.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

If it has a good rooting system then it should come back in May with new leaves. My fingers are crossed for you.