No variegation

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Apr 16, 2022.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

hello friends, i hope spring is treating everyone well.

I believe i actually posted about the same issue with the same tree a few years ago, but the circumstances are different this time. I have a 'Lileeannes Jewel' purchased several years ago while i was still in college, and, long story short, i neglected it horribly. It has been on death's doorstep more than once, but in the last two years ive managed to not be a neglectful tree owner and it's doing quite well in return. However, there is absolutely no variegation to speak of. this doesn't bother me a ton currently, as im just happy it is finally healthy, but going forward i would enjoy to see some of its beautiful variegation. what should i do?

Kyle

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Kyle, as you said it was neglected, so it has reverted fully and I'm afraid the variegation has gone, probably forever. All variegated maples do this and you have to keep an eye out to remove reverted branches etc when seen.
    Sorry I dont have any good news for you.

3. kgeezy20

oof. oh well. i was looking today and it seems as though there may be a tiny bit of variegation left on one branch. the leaves haven't fully expanded yet so im not certain, but assuming that is the case, what would be your advice then?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hmm that's a difficult one Kyle. We all remove the reverted leaves as they appear. But in your case that would mean the whole tree of leaves apart from a few. So IMO I would watch closely over the following months and see if anymore variegation appears. Then its a case of removing the solid leaves to encourage variegated leaves. This could be a 'very' long process.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

One possible approach could be to pinch out the growing tips of all shoots and branches that are not variegated thus directing all growth energy to the variegated branch, hopefully causing it to bulk up. You would in effect be using the non variegated leaves as solar panels to power the growth of the variegated portion. You would have to keep on top of the pinching out all season and then after leaves drop in fall the non-variegated branches could be cut off. (Might be better to spread the branch pruning over a couple of years given the extent of reversion.)

0soyoung, AlainK and kgeezy20 like this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That's a clever idea : the non-variegated leaves are on branches that are usually stronger, so maybe it's a good way to re-establish the balance.

I have the same problem on both my 'Beni komachi'...

maf likes this.
  7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Funnily enough I have been using this technique on my Beni komachi the last year or so, seems to be working so far. Forced it to put all last year's growth energy into the variegated portions by pinching out the strongly growing reverted shoots, then cut off the main reverted portion in autumn.

@kgeezy20 's maple is far more reverted than what I was dealing with but no reason it would not work as long as there is at least one variegated branch.

kgeezy20 and AlainK like this.
  8. kgeezy20

Wonderful idea. I will certainly give it a go!

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks again for the tip.

The bonsai Beni K I have is one from a friend who couldn't cere for his trees any longer, and I would really be upset, even ashamed, if I couldn't care for it properly. So far, it's about 90% reverted... :-(