Acer palmatum 'Oridono nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Orido Nishiki.
    Took this photo a few minutes ago to show the amazing varigation to this leaf.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    Had to add this one of my Orido Nishiki, such a pretty tree.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and yes it's only been a couple of days since my last posting, but look at the leaves !!!

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

27th September 2020 and bright Autumnal sunshine brings the best out of maple leaves. Bright pinks at this time of the year from my Orido Nishiki just had to be shared.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

13th October 2020 from new growth in my last posting to the Autumnal change now. Three seasons in one on my Orido Nishiki!!!

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

24th October 2020 and my Orido Nishiki turned almost overnight, bit windy when I took the photo, but as it's going to get very strong today I wanted to show how the leaves look .

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

26th October 2020 and the heavy rain has taken it's toll on my Orido Nishiki. But it's giving until the very end.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

28th October 2020 and a close up of a leaf of my Orido Nishiki. Just so much colour !!!

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

1st April 2021 and after a lot of work getting rid of many aphids that came at the start of very warm weather, here is my Orido Nishiki on it's way to those lovely colours. Not too bad now IMO. But my wife prefers it more in the Summer.
    Orido Nishiki 716.JPG

10. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi D. I have another ‘topic’ related question. I have it on what I think is good authority that this tree is Oridono Nishiki, rather than Orido Nishiki. I know it is commonly sold under both names but certain it is the same tree. If anyone knows whether I’m right or not I’d love to know as I have one, and love it, and would like to make sure it is labelled correctly.

11. Acerholic

Hi Luke, I've wondered about this for some time also, but at this moment in time I decided to wait until the synonym list is produced by the maple society, hopefully this year!! Then I think a lot of ambiguities will be a thing of the past. Well for a while anyway, lol.
    I have a friend who has Oridono Nishiki and it is slightly different to my Orido ( darker greens). Both are grafted, so not a seedling discrepancy.
    But a very good point by you. You are coming up with them atm.

12. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Oh no, does that mean I need to order another tree? Lol

13. Acerholic

Let's wait to see what the MS say on synonyms, lol. But then yes of course!!

14. Acerholic

15th April 2021 and my Orido Nishiki after seven nights of frosts that has ranged between -2°C and -7 ° C, is doing OK. Again twice a day spraying with rain water is doing the trick. Hopefully only 3 more nights of frosts to cope with.
    Orido nishiki 189.JPG

15. Acerholic

25th April 2021 and all my posts have now been moved to this thread re Orido nishiki.
    Lots of investigations carried out with other Oridono Nishiki maples and I conclude that mine is the latter. Thanks also to Luke @Luke’s Maples who contributed to my further investigation and I have moved his posts to this thread also.

16. Acerholic

28th May 2021 and now my Oridono nishiki has those colours that makes it my wife's favourite maple in our garden. It's been so very slow leafing out this year, but now it will look good all Summer.
    Oridono nishiki 240.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My 'Oridono nishiki' today

Attached Files:

D97x7, Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

25th June 2021 and my wife's favourite variegated maple in our garden.
    Possibly her favourite of all my collection tbh.
    Oridono nishiki 278.JPG

LoverOfMaples and D97x7 like this.
  19. Acerholic

3rd July 2021 and I wanted to post this today as it's only one of a very few that keeps it's delicate pinks throughout Summer in my garden.
    Oridono nishiki 290.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. stg

stg Member

Underwhelmed so far with this one, hopefully it’ll improve with age. Interesting trunk colours though.

DC0EF1B5-DA53-425C-94C9-54C10A2E8D60.jpeg EC456C64-42A5-43B5-AA70-F7A6D84D233F.jpeg BE7D0946-A853-4C96-A1DA-EC67FF782AC8.jpeg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

22. stg

stg Member

Morning sun, done by mid day. I’ll have a little reshuffle today and see if that helps it this year. Thanks for the tip

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

19th April 2022 and as promised to @stg yesterday a photo of the new leaves on my Oridono nishiki that is in full sun all day. As can be seen the pink is there.
    Oridono nishiki Easter Monday 2022.JPG

stg and Xi-feng like this.
  24. stg

stg Member

Such a difference, mine is now in a sunnier spot. I’ll continue to monitor its progress, looking back on your photos hopefully it gets these pink tones as it looks lovely.

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

I'll be very interested to see updates on your Oridono nishiki over the coming months.