Acer palmatum 'Filigree'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 14, 2004.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Left the old, ram-rod straight trunked one behind when we moved, and now have one with a much more pleasing form. As the picture shows, I contemplated pulling the upper branch back to balance out the shape a bit, but it just looked too unnatural the more I looked at it. I'm now going to wait for it to leaf out, but I'm half toying with training it as a cascade bonsai, albeit a slightly larger one; the current branching and habit is already well on the way.

Attached Files:

2. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My little Filigree glows in spring. It has been with me for 5 years and so far likes being in the ground as it has grown considerably this year. It is in part midday sun and does burn a little but nothing too severe.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MapleMO, good morning M, hope you are getting some rain now!!?
    Lovely filigree you have there. Lovely delicate salmon pinks in the Spring . I find that the trunks specifically become very thick once they are in the ground. A Bonsai friend of mine puts all of his in the ground after buying and will not put it in a pot for at least 5 years.
    Yours has gone from strength to strength.
    Can I ask if you put down the bark mulch around your garden? I have done the same and am very pleased with the moisture retention through all the heat. Have you found the same ?

4. MapleMO

Good morning D,

Unfortunately we have gotten very little rain so far. There have been some thunderstorms and downpours but they have just passed us by. The bark does indeed help a lot. I have put it there for this purpose and to keep out the weeds. Also I am on peaty soil which keeps sinking so to prevent from adding more potting soil every year I shred everything from pruned branches to the neighbourhoods discarded Christmas trees and put it as a mulch in the garden. It has improved my soil a great deal as it used to be a field to grow tulips for years and years so the soil was pretty bare.

5. Acerholic

@MapleMO, should have guessed Tulip fields in Holland !!! And what colour they give!!!
    Brilliant that you can make your own bark mulch M, it's surprisingly expensive to buy, even in bulk over here.
    Peat with a bark mulch, can't get much better than that for JM. Expect your drainage is pretty good as well ?

6. MapleMO

Yes, I love tulips too and we live close to Hollands many tulip fields so is very nice to drive around the area in the spring. My shredded wood/bark doesnt last as long as the expensive french bark so coming New Year I will go out hunting for christmas trees again, lol. Drainage is fine however as we live a few meters below sealevel, and the groundwater level is very high, my trees might still stand in water for too lang when having extended periods of heavy rain. Fortunately as this used to be part of a field used professionally, drainage tubes were put in to place which pump the additional water to the nearby canal.

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@MapleMO, drainage tubes, how brilliant. I was wondering about your water table level where you live. But you have it all in hand. Acidic soil good drainage and excellent mulch, no wonder your maples look so happy.
    They are really spoilt, 'WELL DONE'

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Found a location that my Filigree likes after moving it a year or more ago and really starting to put on some growth now.
    A very large number of shoots have pushed 20cm (8 inches) this spring already. IMG_20210514_174618.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

23rd May 2021 and my very first posting of my new little Filigree. This was highly reccomended to me by my friend Luke. @Luke’s Maples
    Filigree 235.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  10. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My first post of my young 'Filigree'

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Looks like we are starting on this one together D. I don't think we will be disappointed.

12. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

neither do i D.

13. Acerholic

29th June 2021 and my little Filigree is showing some great promise with new growth. Luke said I would like it.
    Filigree 282.JPG

LoverOfMaples and D97x7 like this.
  14. stg

stg Member

Love the vibrancy of the green on this Acer.

099A0DAA-C4B1-488F-ADC8-FB68A9D7D389.jpeg 33E99B42-74B6-4111-BF8F-CCF6EEA911BE.jpeg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

This cultivar is such a floater, it just has that perfect Japanese garden look to it. That pond pot will get the roots going very well indeed @stg

16. Acerholic

8th May 2022 and my first posting this year. I don't think there are many quite as lace like as Filigree.
    Filigree May 8th 2022 (2).JPG Filigree May 8th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  17. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Has very similar reticulated variegation to Shigitatsu sawa, here are a couple of comparison leaf shots and one of the tree in situ
    IMG_20220508_180533.jpg IMG_20220508_181043.jpg IMG_20220508_183559.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

22nd May 2022 and my Filigree is still holding those early Spring colours. But a touch darker now.
    Filligree 22nd May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

12th June 2022 and some interesting colours on my Filigree now. A mixture of Spring and Summer.
    Filigree 12th June 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

10th May 2023 and the greens on Filigree have got to be up there with the best IMO. It's loving the weather in my garden this Spring.
    PXL_20230510_110423027.jpg PXL_20230510_110414700.jpg

21. Acerholic

1st November 2023 and my Filigree is doing so well after a month of rain and wind.

PXL_20231101_114445984.jpg PXL_20231101_114344633.jpg