Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

1st April 2021 and my first showing this year of my Hana Matoi. It had a troubled start to life, so I'm very keen to see it do well this year. It is looking promising atm.
    Hana matoi 716.JPG

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Flowers :

acerp-hanamatoi_210404a.jpg

3. Acerholic

That 400 miles South makes so much difference in their progression. Fingers crossed the frost does not hit this wonderful cultivar.

4. Acerholic

27th April 2021 and after this one was mentioned a couple of days ago about holding it's solid red until later on in the Spring/ Summer, I thought I would post a photo of it today.
    Hana Matoi 205.JPG

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  5. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Planted my Hana Matoi in the ground today, weeded and built up the rock wall a few weeks ago.

Not a lot of variegation, if any but the colors are really nice, fits nicely in the space next to Bloodgood. Very happy I picked this cultivar for this specific spot. :)

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Very nice Connor, I'm envisaging it cascading down over those rocks in the coming years. And it's going to look great !! Do post updates. I for one will really enjoy seeing them.

7. Acerholic

19th May 2021 and I am so pleased how my Hana Matoi is looking this year. It had a rough time in 2020, but now it's coming good.

Hana Matoi 231.JPG Hana Matoi 232.JPG

Connor Sullivan and D97x7 like this.
  8. Acerholic

10th June 2021 and as this was spoken about yesterday on the forum I thought a couple of photos might be nice.
    Hana Matoi 260.JPG Hana Matoi 261.JPG

Connor Sullivan, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  9. Connor Sullivan

Awesome pics Acerholic!

my Hana Matoi seems to be settling in nicely to its new area. I’ve been really trying to keep it watered 1-2 times a week. Few burned leafs though but nothing I’m worried about.

10. Connor Sullivan

Hana Matoi

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

Looking good Connor, the variegation will be with you soon looking at your photo.

12. Connor Sullivan

Ok that is cool to know! I was wondering if my maple was labeled wrong at the nursery since it’s shown no real variegation yet, still nice colors yet but not drastically different than all the other lace leafs in my neighborhood like I pictured Hana Matoi being. I selfishly wanted it to be show stopper to impress all the neighbors who walked by my yard hahaha.

13. Acerholic

Lol I'm sure it will impress them with the variegation very soon Connor. More sun = more variegation on Hana Matoi, but more sun can lead to scorching. So there is a pay off.

D

14. Acerholic

29th June 2021 and one of my favourite of the variegated dissectums Hana matoi is showing some nice colours now. From now on it gets more pronounced.
    Hana matoi 282.JPG

15. AlainK

Mine retained the pink variegation and didn't suffer too much from the dry, hot (but short) periods. I noticed it's bearing more than a dozen samaras. I've already got dozens of seedlings from various cvs, most of the time very similar to the plain species, but with dissectums, it's like a box of chocolate, you never know...

acerp-hanamatoi_210922c.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_210922a.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_210922b.jpg

See for instance these from a red dissectum, they're all different (but not too strong) :

Semis21-AtroDis_210921a.jpg

Nik, Margot, Connor Sullivan and 2 others like this.
  16. Connor Sullivan

I don’t my Hana Matoi ever showed any serious variegation this year? My mom bought one from a different source and hers looked one would expect Hana Matoi to look like. Hers was in heavy shade, so a lot of dark green but the cream and ink was there.

17. AlainK

I think a more acidic soil might help. Just a guess, but when my maples have been repotted, they tend to show more vivid colours, whereas after a couple of years, since the water here is very hard, they tend to be more dull.
    My 2 € cents...

18. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

I bought this cultivar in 2019, and I'm still trying the perfect spot for him. I took this photo right after I unpacked him, it was late July
    [​IMG]

I took these during Spring 2020, I was trying to give him as much sun as possible, and the contrast was striking to say the least
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sadly, I didn't manage to help him keep at least one of the pink variegated leaves by the end of Summer
    This year, I tried to give him less sun, and in Spring the contrast was softer
    [​IMG]
    I managed to keep some of the variegated leaves, by giving him just a couple hours of morning sun, but the pink variegation became a dull white. As soon as the heat and the scorching sun passed, I placed him in a sunnier spot and the pink variegation came back
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    maf, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

12th April 2022 and my happy little Hana matoi is getting some leaves. I do love this cultivar.
    Hana Matoi April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  20. AlainK

Mine is almost in full leaves, tough it has not yet the rich variegation that develops a bit later on mature leaves :

acerp-hanamatoi_220412a.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

I'm such a sucker for the dissectums and Hana matoi is up there with the best IMO. It starts out good and gets better and better. Yours is at the better stage Alain.

22. AlainK

Yeah...

You know I was at a supermarket and browsed though a gardening magazine, saw that they had a sort of "special offer", and ordered it for very cheap.

Now, I have to learn about "summer grafting".

23. Acerholic

Now that's a deal you should never passby.

AlainK likes this.
  24. AlainK

I won't ever again now. But Europe is a big continent, so there's hope ahead. Ireland, Ukraine, the world is wide...

And I do think that England will always be part of Europe, volens nolens.

Et honni soit qui mal y pense ! <LOL>

25. Acerholic

3rd May 2022 and full leaves at last. The subtlety of the reds of this dissectum is what drew me to buying it a few years back. I still have absolutely no regrets in adding this one to my collection.
    Hana Matoi May 3rd 2022.JPG

Connor Sullivan, D97x7 and AlainK like this.