Are Yoshino cherries really that short lived?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by ceriano, Mar 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ceriano

ceriano Member

Cherries have bad reputation for being short lived. Do they just simply die of old age or it’s lack of care?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have seen well cared for cherries die after 40 years. They are certainly not one of the very long lived trees.

ceriano likes this.
  3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

5. ceriano

ceriano Member

That’s kinda discouraging. I’m looking to plant 6 or 7 of them. They get rather big, removing them won’t be fun down the road.

6. Acerholic

I hope it's not too discouraging. They are an amazing tree, but nothing lives forever. Also look at the example from Michael F, there are always exceptions.
    I would never not plant a cherry in my garden, even if it has to be replaced at some time in tne future.

ceriano likes this.
  7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@ceriano, yours will not get to look like that. But in Japan, the climate suits them better, where the rain comes in the warmer season. I have not seen photos there of trees top-grafted onto rootstocks that grow at a different rate, as has been so common here, leaving good niches for disease to set in. Pruning also leaves them susceptible to disease. Choose trees that are supposed to grow to the size and shape that you want, that are low grafted or not grafted (as 'Accolade' and 'Akebono' are often sold here) and particularly are not grafted onto Prunus avium rootstock. 'Akebono' completely replaced 'Somei-yoshino' as the popular yoshino cherry because it was healthier, not as likely to get witches' broom. I have no idea why we're seeing so many new 'Somei-yoshino' around here.

8. ceriano

ceriano Member

No I already planted two of them in the front corner. I’m looking for something to line up the side yard. Crape myrtle is more disease restraint I may go with that.
    It’s hard to see the graft on the ones I got, but they are grafted. My other concern with graft is surface roots. I have seen some that are not grafted but almost all akebono around here are grafted.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

That sounds like a very good plan and they would look perfect in the location on your photo. Do post photos when they are in position and perhaps you can post photos in the following years.

ceriano likes this.
  10. ceriano

ceriano Member

If I go with Yoshino how far apart do you recommend spacing them? 20ft O.C. Or that’s too tight? Trying to come up with a plan that works with utilities and sprinkles.

11. Acerholic

20ft may be a touch too tight. I would give them 30ft. But they will take 15 years to fill out that area.

ceriano likes this.
  12. ceriano

ceriano Member

These were planted about 20ft apart. A little dense but not too crowded. Obviously they have been professionally pruned.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Yoshino will spread to around 30ft. But of course they can be pruned to suit.

ceriano likes this.
  14. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

No. Egan Davis, on his walk for the VCBF yesterday, pointed out the lovely shape of the unpruned trees, and how beautiful the branches are when you see the unbroken stretch from limb to branch tip. Don't build in a need to ruin the natural gracefulness of these trees. Have a look at this 'Akebono' planting: Dunbar-Southlands.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Couldn't agree more Wendy, but as we know it is done.

16. ceriano

ceriano Member

I went this Yoshino! End up planting them 27ft apart. The soil on side yard is rocky clay. Terrible stuff. Anything I can do to improve it? Does over composting help?

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

This is quite a hot topic on the forum about amending soil, some do and some don't. The consensus seems to be don't amend. See Linda Chalker Scott books on this.
    Your trees look very nice @ceriano. I would apply a good mulch around the base, but keep it away from the trunk. Obviously water well for the first two years during dry periods and they will do fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2022
    ceriano likes this.
  18. ceriano

ceriano Member

I understand the argument against amending the soil in the planting hole but I’m looking to over compost the entire yard. 15 to 20 yards should give me about 0.5 to an inch. Not sure if that’d really help the trees unless I till it in though.

19. Acerholic

Personally I would just add some around the base of each tree as a mulch.

ceriano likes this.