Sunshine Coast/Gulf Islands

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Willard, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Arbutus tree located behind the 'Akebono'.

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Here at Gibsons detachment of RCMP today

the landscaping includes an attractive and useful dry creek bed for snow and surface water drainage

I estimate this west coast cedar building & landscaping was installed 11 yrs ago

Attached Files:

3. Willard

‘Beni-shidare’ on Grandview Heights Rd, south of Chaster.

20220405 GrandviewFairview Beni-shidare Willard 1:1.jpeg

4. Willard

‘Yae-beni-shidare’ on Grandview Heights Rd, south of Fairview.

20220405 GrandviewFairview YBS Willard 2:9.jpeg 20220405 GrandviewFairview YBS Willard 3:9.jpeg

5. Willard

‘Akebono’ are blooming now at St. John’s United Church in Davis Bay.
    On Davis Bay Rd, east of Simpkins.
    20220405 StJohnsChurch Akebono Willard 1:1.jpeg

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Georgia Strait

@Willard you’ve captured cherry blossom, ocean AND a Lion

some people don’t see it right away — and esp w cherry blossoms !

so start with picturing how the Charles Marega lion statues lay down on their bellies at the south end ramp of Lions Gate Bridge. Charles Marega - Wikipedia

then turn the statue around so from our coast viewpoint, this lion is looking east and its tail and hip end is closest to us

the tall peak is top of lion mane and is approx 5400 feet almost straight up from the ocean (Howe Sound)

the 2nd lion (or sister) of the pair is tucked in — visible certain days with binocs

i think from here at Langdale/Gibsons, we see the left hand Lion (west lion) in the photo attached from Wikipedia
    The Lions (peaks) - Wikipedia

PS - your April Fool on the 3rd was great! (In this thread, above)

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Willard like this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

8. Georgia Strait

Out of curiosity (ok, avoiding paperwork!) — I collage’d together some blooms I have photographed in Gibsons & Sechelt since March 14/22 to yesterday.

i find I can learn a lot from visual comparisons (like the Plum and cherry blossoms comparison on VCBF website - link Plum trees versus cherry trees: how to tell the difference and identify them – Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival

another link
    Cherry versus Plum Blossoms: What’s the Difference? – Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2595629

the close up pic of bark and buds is a Kanzan getting ready to bloom. It’s planted on a small st and has been cut back a few times in what I estimate is its 40-plus years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  9. Willard

Thanks Acerholic.

10. Georgia Strait

A little walk around Sunnycrest (SuperValu grocery) through some of the trails to North Road (the Gibsons area Firehall - can’t miss it painted bright red )

And back to Sunnycrest Mall

four (Akebono?) trees in front of a small strata next to Kingdom Hall on North Road, west side just south of Aurora Rd

Then a little bit further south on North Rd, on the west side, I spotted this large weeping blossom tree from the sidewalk and quietly ventured closer — is it a cherry? I think this strata was built in the 1990s so I imagine landscaping matches era. The tree is beautiful ! Thank you garden service .

another Akebono at the heritage school building

then corner of Farnham Rd & Gibsons Way — posted by @Willard yesterday

Four sad trees at the public high school

and finally the dual-color bloom Tree w/ Gibsons haircut at north end of Sunnycrest Mall —- yet to bloom

there are 3 small Akebono in adjacent parking lot near SuperValu loading dock (big trucks unload here) (I posted photo the other day on this thread)

Attached Files:

11. Georgia Strait

@Willard - is the large weeping tree hidden in the townhouse strata (across from firehall) … w/ white blossoms a cherry? Which name? I hope you know … morning light (ie from the east) I think would be best for an inspection if you go on a cherry foray.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Georgia Strait

This lovely home and entry court is above Langdale / Hopkins Landing where Howe Sound views abound — that’s the Britannia Range of mtns incl. Cypress Bowl ski area.

i couldn’t stop long so this is a quick and safe drive-by pic

@Willard posted some pix the other day of Akebono nearby that @Acerholic noted.

(Vista Fjord kind of off North Road … Stella Maris joins in and St Andrews Rd is below - it’s relatively close to a BC Transît route at certain hours to/from ferry)

i think some Kanzan will appear on the downhill side of this house (nr mailboxes on St Andrews)

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Willard

Looks like it0-zakura to me. Good scouting Georgia Strait.

14. Willard

Yes, I agree...4x 'Akebono'

15. Georgia Strait

This tree always blooms a bit later — it’s in the 1200 block of North Road, past « the bypass » and just before Chamberlin Rd (dog park road) (in Gibsons)

Attached Files:

16. Georgia Strait

Gibsons cherries - a walk around Gibsons Park Plaza Mall (Starbucks etc)

thru the new subdivision and back down Park Road (ice rink building) to the intersection with Gibsons Way (credit union at stop light) (map attached)

some I have already photographed and posted here in this thread — I like to have updates for progress comparison — gosh the season moves fast !

QUESTION - there is one young tree with white blossoms I have included wondering if it’s cherry. It is in the long east west trail in that subdivision off Payne Road (medical clinic) (4th photo down)

also - I noticed the corner of Park and Gibsons Way, one can view at least 8 trees — no dramatic allées — simply the usual strip commercial development (this area used to be forest not too long ago :)

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Georgia Strait

Akebono in a strong steady persistant westerly wind (clear weather here comes from the west, generally)

the birds in tree (can’t see them in the pink fluffy petals tho can hear them) include a sparrow

and in background, the rough caw of a blue Jay (a busy bossy friendly crow cousin and BC’s official bird)

here is a short video showing how strong these blossoms are (no pink snow yet!) (EDIT: I can’t figure out how to upload a brief video from iPhone to this forum … @Acerholic do you know?)

and a close view of same solo tree showing a cluster of blossoms in full bloom, yet a pair of buds still awaiting the perfect moment to emerge

this is the tree on Park Road, Gibsons — outside the blue roof strata condos across from Catholic Church.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Daniel Mosquin prefers that we upload the video to YouTube and then link to it. That way you don't run into any time or size constraint.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  19. Georgia Strait

Today a trip to the foot passenger area at Langdale ferry — and a bonus walk around Langdale « heights » old subdivision (circa 1965?) just north of ferry terminal off Port Mellon Highway

old homes and gardens, some with obvious care and updating — lots of old shrubs and trees (many large blossoming plums and magnolias and some rhodos baited me!)

STAR trees - oh my goodness — the « twin trees » on Thompson Road … outstanding (and a wee maple sheltering — a Sakura « picnic » perhaps ?- all in my imagination )

This neighborhood is slightly sloped walkable and is on transit route at certain times of day

i parked at the Langdale Elem School and walked around the streets on foot

the one caution is the major Port Mellon Hiway — it has lots of large logging trucks and other large industrial traffic (and pulp mill shift change traffic) so just walk on adjacent parallel Langdale Rd)

oh - these are all private gardens so I am very discreet with photos — tho many of the trees are on google st view (we are google street cherry blossom view I suppose)

The snowy mtn @Willard captured in pix (Akebono at Sunnycrest Mall, for eg) is Mt Elphinstone (Capt Vancouver mapping)

See collages attached

Attached Files:

20. Willard

You’ve captured the twin trees on Thompson at their peak bloom. Good scouting! Timing is everything.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  21. Georgia Strait

what are the various Langdale cherry tree names?

If you go to look in person, be sure to go up to the far west end of Wharf to view the pretty little weeping tree behind picket fence (with a native wild cherry next to it)

thank you @Willard
    PS have you been out to Tuwanek to view the ones next to mailboxes ? i rarely if ever go out that way.

Attached Files:

22. Georgia Strait

question @Willard --- in this post you type "Yae-beni-shidare" ---- and in previous post (different tree on same street quite close to Cedar Grove elem school in west Gibsons) ... you type "Beni-shidare"

do both versions refer to same tree name?
    (not being picky, just wanting to learn ... it's a gradual process -- this year I am not looking at as many "plerries" or "chums" :)

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lol, I like that comment Georgia. Perfect!!!

24. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

25. Willard

A close look at the blossoms will help you identify the trees. On Grandview Heights Road there are both pink weeping cherry trees.

2021043 GibsonsLegion YBS Willard IMG_9906.JPG 20210413 GibsonsLegion YBS Willard IMG_9909.jpg
    ‘Yae-beni-shidare’ : Double

20200407 Langdale Beni-shidare WillardIMG_5950.JPG 20200320 DolphinInlet Beni-shidare Willard IMG_5657.JPG
    ‘Beni-shidare’ : Single

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    wcutler, Acerholic and Georgia Strait like this.