What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Thanks for the feedback folks. That alleviates most of the worry.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You are so lucky M. Mine are getting hit every year now.

3. Acerholic

We hit -6° c here the other night and several of my trees were hit. No feeding or being in a greenhouse during the Winter. Perhaps I have softy Southern trees....

4. Acerholic

Totally agree R. I live in quite a frost pocket compared to friends who live close by and their trees don't get hit. A few days ago my Katsura trees were hammered, but my friends trees were not touched.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

We were quite lucky in the recent episode, we reached only near - 3 c where is down in the plain it reached or exceeded -6 c. The former is ok for most Japanese maples that are still in bud or have only just broken. The latter will do a lot of damage even to the tough Japanese maples, especially if leaves and twigs are developing. -3 will severely damage some maples like elegantulum or catalpifolium, and turn all the leaves black on trees like pterocarya or David's. We had 15 cm of snow, which day did more damage than the cold. Down in the valley there was just a dusting! Here are a few pictures of early in the snow storm.
    20220401_123227.jpg 20220401_124050.jpg 20220401_124111.jpg 20220401_124127.jpg 20220401_124137.jpg 20220401_124150.jpg 20220401_124540.jpg 20220401_135711.jpg

6. Acerholic

Amazing photos E, but I can see why you're worried.

AlainK likes this.
  7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@emery blimey that’s no barrel of laughs!
    As you say some are more tolerant than others.. I posted a photo last year of my only real spring frost casualty, a mature Pixie (as labelled - not so sure it is), with trees of the same size directly either side untouched by the frost! That has since recovered..
    Wishing you all with cold snaps the best of luck - it’s super windy here atm, 50mph tomorrow!

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The "most serious damage" I could spot on my trees, some leaves at the top of this 'Phoenix' that I repotted about a week ago :

acerph02m01_220406a.jpg

ChrisUk likes this.
  9. Acerholic

OMG R...frosts and strong winds. Hope all your pots are secure.

10. Acerholic

Thats not too bad Alain, I hope that's all you suffer this Spring.

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Probably good for my health, to schlep all the pots in and out again, though!

Funny, Pixie does also appear a little sensitive, but they're all different. I remember discussing your Pixie from last year, and my mentioning a pretty large palmatum in a row which was mostly destroyed, while none of the others in the "hedge" were bothered at all. Last year I speculated that it was in a cold spot, since all of these trees are pretty much identical (provenance, anyway).

So, I cut it back very hard, and last year it put out pretty good whippy growth, really only from the main trunk. Like all of the palmatums in the "hedge", it had only just burst, with lots of buds still to open.

Well lo and behold: it was the only one (again) that froze, and looks completely beat now. It was probably early enough to recover, but a little later and it would be cooked for sure. My conclusion is now that this tree is just a lot more tender than the others from its crop.

Good luck with the wind!

dicky5ash, maf and AlainK like this.
  12. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@
    @emery I remember you explaining that..well I hope that sensitive one of yours recovers..we will see how we all fare over the coming weeks!!

13. Acerholic

Just seen the weather forecast for tomorrow here in Hampshire. Rain then strong winds. 50mph. If it's not one thing ....... Another early start I think.

14. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

BBC weather says 42mph winds for me tomorrow and maybe a few showers. Can't have been far off that today - at one point the sky went really dark and a heavy shower started, when I looked outside the rain was coming down at an almost exact diagonal of 45 degrees!

As for the longer forecast, a couple of nights down to zero or one degrees C leading into the weekend and then mostly typical April weather predicted after that - a mix of sunshine and cloud and showers, 15 degree days and 7 or so at night.

AlainK likes this.
  15. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Typical English weather ?... ;°)

I think that any place in Britain is no further than 100 km (62,1371 miles) from the sea. That means quick changes in the weather in a day because of the winds from the sea. In France, Brittany is a bit like that. People there say things like "We have two seasons : one in the morning, and one in the afternoon".
    Or :
    "Combien y-a t-il de saisons en Bretagne ?
    - Deux : la grande saison des petites pluies, et la petite saison des grandes pluies."
    Etc.
    But this is unfair : like when I went to England, when I went on a holiday in Brittany, I came back with sunburns...

maf and Margot like this.
  16. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Today a cold wind and warm, bright sun then suddenly very dark and hail showers. Typical English weather in April.

17. Acerholic

-3°c forecast tonight here in Southern England. Gosh I hope they're wrong !!! Lovely and sunny, but a chilly wind as I type this, so my fingers are crossed for my trees overnight. All looks a little more settled next week and perhaps an 18 degree or two on the way for Easter.

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  18. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

Climate of france now and climate in 100 years :(

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

We are close-by being in the South of England, so the chart is quite a worrying trend for all those who come after us. Sadly there is no stopping this, so adapt we must. Quite a sobering posting Soumil.

20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @Keith Elliott its been a while since we chatted, my world has had many changes so I’ve been tied up. hope your doing well, hope you managed with the flood and fires and the past snowy winter. How did your trees fair in your new place? My parents just moved in mid December to Ashcroft, BC they love it but my dads pArtner is pretty sure they killed the weeping waterfall JM I got her last year, so I’ll have to get them a new one for their new home. She’s so very upset, she’s always wanted a JM and she only had this one for a year. So far all my trees are alive.

21. Worldly_Wrangler

Snow and subfreezing night temperatures for the entire week here in central Washington state. I'm hoping the trees can handle it. Ill be covering up Japanese Princess for sure as it was the only one that showed frost damage after the last subfreezing event.

22. Acerholic

Seen the weather on other threads, good luck to your trees.

Worldly_Wrangler likes this.
  23. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Can the author of these climate maps to make a map about what would be the average temperature in different places in France in June 2022?
    It is safe to visualize what could happen after 100 years from now, as nobody will remember this prediction when the time comes and the climate is still the same as now.

24. Worldly_Wrangler

Snow this morning. I'm just learning to accept this week of cold weather and hope for the best. I moved the potted maples inside after the pictures were taken.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Such a shame, was it forecast for Washington ? At least you were able to move them inside. That's the advantage of pots.

Lisa Harry likes this.