Acer palmatum 'Mure hibari'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesmagpie, Apr 24, 2015.

1. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Plant Description: Matsumurae Group, Green

An upright deciduous tree with dainty, small green leaves with seven deeply-divided narrow lobes. Fall color is yellow to orange to red. Prefers sun/partial shade in well-drained soil. 8' tall x 4' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 degrees. USDA zone 5.

According to Vertrees/Gregory:

"The medium-sized leaves of this old Japanese cultivar are deeply divided into seven narrow, elongate-lanceolate lobes that taper to long, slender pointed tips. These lobes separate almost to the leaf base and radiate sharply outward. The edges of each lobe are slightly curved up or trough-shaped and prominently toothed. The short leaf stalks are reddish. The basic leaf color is light green. Margins of new leaves are tinted with a bright brick red. In the fall, yellow to crimson blends appear.

This medium-strong grower forms an upright plant up to 5m (16 ft) tall. It is quite vigorous and hardy. One Japanese writer described the leaf shape as "like a crystal of snow" and unique. 'Mure hibari' is indeed a beautiful cultivar but is little-known. The name means "flock of skylarks."

-----------------------------------------------

Is anyone else growing this cultivar? I just ordered one, and was surprised to find it didn't have a photo thread here. Will add photos once it arrives, but here is the Esveld link to photos:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/a/acpmhb.php

2. PonderingPines

PonderingPines New Member

I'm curious how your Mure Hibari is coming along. I bought one that had been container grown for 10 years at a plant sale last fall. It's spring color is fantastic and I'm really taken by it. Thinking of trying to find another and planting in the ground. The container plant is very, very short - wondering how large yours is getting and if you have any photos. Thanks!

3. maplesmagpie

Hi there!

It has a great spring color. I had mine potted for a couple of seasons, then planted it in the yard last spring. It made it through my 5b winter, which was a risk, but then again we had a mild winter this year. Its hardiness in zone 5b is still unproven for me.

Mine is about 4-5 feet tall at the moment. No photos of the whole tree, but I have a few of the leaves and branches I think. I think the spring color was my favorite...that bright yellow with hints of orange was a stand-out in the yard. Red fall color is a bit boring (I prefer oranges), but as a mature tree I'm sure it would be stunning. The movement of the leaves in the wind is really very pretty.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @maplesmagpie, what a beautifully delicate branching tree. Love the size and colouring of the leaves. A new one on me in England. 'Lovely photos' btw.

5. PonderingPines

Thanks for the reply! Your tree looks very much like mine though I think yours seems a bit more upright, as the usual description of Mure Hibari would suggest. I wonder how mine would fare in the ground after all these years in a pot. I've finally resized some photos of mine from this spring, as the website rejected my earlier ones as too big. I agree about the movement of the wind through the tree. It is aptly named as "Flock of Skylarks". I also added a photo of the bark color on mine, which I found really captivating. It is almost more of a yellow than a green sometimes and just adds to the overall effect of this tree. It's a real stunner. I'm enjoying watching the lower leaves slowly change to more of a green. I bought it last autumn, so I haven't seen the summer color yet, but am looking forward to it. Seems like it will have an almost fernlike feel in green. Here are pics of mine. Thanks for further confirming I do indeed have Mure Hibari.

Attached Files:

6. maplesmagpie

Lovely photos. And yes-- I would post more photos, too, but the size limit makes it quite annoying! I have to go into my photo editing software and shrink everything, which is so time consuming.

If you like the coloration of this one, you may also like the Exbury form of Chitose yama. It's a green cultivar in the summer, but in the spring it leafs out with a very unique yellow-orange color.

7. Acerholic

Don't the Japanese just name their maples beautifully. 'Flock of Skylarks', Just wonderful !!!!!

maplesmagpie likes this.
  8. PonderingPines

Sorry for the late reply here, but interesting that you mention Chitose Yama: an unknown cultivar to me but now looking at some photos online, the spring color reminds me of my Osakazuki Akame. Of course, trying to figure out if I had a real Osakazuki was what led me to these forums in the first place. Ha! I am pretty certain I have a more "modern" version of Osakazuki Akame now.

And @Acerholic - yes, the names are wonderful. I have to say that the name was one of the factors in my opting to purchase it. I had never heard of it but it was so lovely and then I looked up the cultivar and read the name translation. Totally fell for the poetry of it. You can really see it too in the way the leaves look and move together.

9. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Very small still, but here's mine:

20220403 Mure Hibari.jpg

10. Acerholic

A small flock of skylarks, but so very pretty Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Acerholic

9th April 2022 and this one really said good morning to me today. So cheerful !!
    Mure hibari April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  12. Xi-feng

Fully awake now and enjoying the filtered shade it's getting:

20220415 Mure Hibare-1.jpg 20220415 Mure Hibare.jpg

PonderingPines and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

Xi-feng likes this.
  14. Acerholic

12th May 2022 and my Mure hibari is looking very happy this morning.
    Mure hibare May 12th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  15. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any summer pictures of this one? I see Stephen Roff has it on his eBay shop...

16. Acerholic

4th June 2022, hope this helps Chris @Cattwooduk.Taken moments ago.
    Mure hibare 4th June 2022.JPG Mure Hibare 4th June 2022 (2).JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. Cattwooduk

18. Acerholic

Lol....

19. Xi-feng

Oh @Cattwooduk , you're going down the Stephen Roff slippery slope I see (I know how that feels!) In the name of further enabling, here's mine from this morning - also a Stephen Roff purchase. Mine doesn't have as much red redging as @Acerholic 's, but it's still a pretty little thing:

20220604 Mure Hibari.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Think we have given Chris enough to wet his appetite Xi. Isn't this just a lovely delicate cultivar!!?

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Xi-feng

Haha, let's hope so! It really is: those feathered edges and the bright colours are just wonderful aren't they?

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

They really are.

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Cattwooduk

Yes it's a beauty for sure!
    It's on the potential list for now - I've got a feeling I may have something very similar already in amongst all my own seedlings I've grown. I'm away this weekend but once I'm home I'll check through them all.

Is it as delicate as it looks when it comes to sun tolerance?

24. Acerholic

Mine gets a lot of sun and does fine. IMO this cultivar is going to do very well and not fry during the Summer months.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  25. Cattwooduk

This is the one I've grown from seed which is quite similar but not as finely cut or as feathery. Looking forward to seeing it grow.
    PXL_20220606_144028563.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.