Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thanks Xi I will have a look.
    Looks like we have a warm week ahead here in England. Time to enjoy our trees.

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Said to be getting up to 19 degrees a few days next week here in Northamptonshire - you guys down south may get even warmer! Still some cold nights with the clear skies, hopefully not damaging to new shoots. Happy new maple leaves everyone!

Xi-feng, Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  3. Acerholic

With whats going in in the world atm, I think this thread might go on a bit longer. I'm looking forward to my trees opening up and as M @maf says," it's getting warm this week", so some cheerful photos to follow.

LorenzoDec, AlainK and maf like this.
  4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Still some sneaky cold days/nights around up North at present . Saturday and Sunday lovely sunny days but the evening temps dropped like a stone with a frost on both evenings , moved four trees which are well into leaf break into my workshop for the two evenings and they are back in there for to night as well. Not out of the woods yet!!!

LoverOfMaples and maf like this.
  5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There was cat ice on the water lily tubs this morning but no damage to the maples. Not much has leafed out to be honest, but Katsura, Kiyohime etc. are pushing leaves. Luckily my main garden has shade in the mornings at this time of year which may help. Hope yours are still OK!

ROEBUK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Those worrying nights will be with us for a few weeks yet unfortunately, no matter where we are in the country. But at last some warmth during the day...

ROEBUK and LoverOfMaples like this.
  7. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

For those missing moisture
    'Mikawa yatsubusa'
    DSCN6777.jpeg DSCN6743.jpeg

DSCN6794.jpeg DSCN6748.jpeg

8. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Frustrating week with the maples -- one of the scummy neighbourhood foxes has figured out how to jump my 6-foot garden fence and proceeded to destroy the garden two nights in a row (and we were only spared last night since I heard it coming over the fence at 3am and ran outside to scare it off before it got started...) It tossed about and uprooted all my newly-repotted maples so I can only speculate it's after the acer feed I mixed in with the soil, since the older plants have been left alone so far. I'm going to spray the pots themselves with fox repellent, but does anyone have any tips to keep it away?

After two hours of cleaning up and repotting, here are some of the happy parts of the garden this morning that remind me they're worth protecting:

Cascade Gold x2, Hupps Red Willow, Jordan:

20220326 Cascade Gold-1.jpg 20220326 Cascade Gold-2.jpg 20220326 Hupps Red Willow.jpg 20220326 Jordan.jpg

Kocho no Mai, Mei Jishi, Okushimo, Otome Zakura (best pinks in my garden at this time of year!):

20220326 Kochi no Mai.jpg 20220326 Mei Jishi-1.jpg 20220326 Okushimo.jpg 20220326 Otome Zakura.jpg

Peaches & Cream, Pixie, Red Dawn:

20220326 Peaches and Cream.jpg 20220326 Pixie.jpg 20220326 Red Dawn.jpg

wind-borne, AlainK, D97x7 and 4 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

Good morning Xi. Sorry to hear that. Do try a strong garlic mix and spray around the borders of your garden. It does work, foxes hate garlic.

AlainK, D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  10. Acerholic

All cleaned up well and they are looking gorgeous Xi. London is way ahead of Hampshire.....

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Oooh interesting, thank you for this! I will give that a go: anything to keep the blighters away!

12. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

I need cheering up as I've finally admitted to myself that my Purple Ghost has died, it fried last year when the temps got above 30C so in late November I moved it, big mistake. Ah well, I'll try and get another one, fourth time lucky.
    IMG_20220401_104403.jpg

13. Acerholic

Thats a real shame N. Wish I could pust something today to cheer you up, but mine got hit with the overnight frosts, and more tonight and tomorrow. This hobby of ours is becoming harder and harder every year.
    I usually say two strikes and out for a maple, but in the case of Purple Ghost, why not 4 chances.

14. D97x7

Oh no that's a shame D, yeah I've had no luck with PG at all, first one I killed because of my ignorance in repotting, second one was eaten by cattle and the above was the third.

15. Acerholic

So let's say fourth time lucky N. You definitely know what not to do now.......Not sure about cattle though, Lol.

Xi-feng, AlainK and D97x7 like this.
  16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Are you certain it's totally, completely dead ? I would wait before removing it, who knows, perhaps some of the lower branches are still alive...

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. D97x7

Oh I'm going to give it another month or so just to be certain, but I'm fairly sure that it's dead though unfortunately.

Xi-feng and AlainK like this.
  18. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not a maple, but I had a Prunus 'Kojo no mai' that was in a big pot and was about 1 metre tall. It lost all its leaves at the end of last summer, and I was sure it was dead. So after checking that the top branches broke and were totally dry, I pulled it out about 2 weeks ago. I then saw nexw buds at the base, so I repotted it and this is what it looks like now (it even flowered!) :

prunus-kojo_220401a.jpg

If it backbuds below the graft, then...

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  19. Acerholic

I woke this morning full of dread as yet another severe frost. I didn't expect to see a snow covering.
    Spring snow April 2nd 2022.JPG
    But then the sun came out and so I thought I would add these to cheer everyone up.
    My little Beni hime looked like it was shivering.
    Beni hime April 2022.JPG
    But a few others were coping and enjoying the sunshine.
    Sumi-nagashi
    Sumi-Nagashi April 2022.JPG
    Trompenburg
    Trompenburg April 2022.JPG
    Shindeshojo
    Shindeshojo April 2022.JPG
    Baldsmith
    Baldsmith April 2022.JPG

Forecast is for -5°c tonight. My fingers are crossed for these delicate shoots.

AlainK, Xi-feng, LorenzoDec and 3 others like this.
  20. D97x7

Orange Dream lifting my spirits after yesterday's depressing post.
    1648901521084.jpg

AlainK, Xi-feng, LorenzoDec and 4 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

Now thats a cheerful photo N.

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

Beautiful with the green Wood!

D97x7 likes this.
  23. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

that scandinavian cold wave must be a pain in the arse, especially so late into spring

24. Acerholic

I shouldn't have said to you the other day that we very rarely get snow here in Southern England. That will teach me lol. Just finished misting all my trees for tonight.

AlainK likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Such a hard overnight frost, yes it went down to -6°c here at one point. I managed to protect a few, so here they are.
    Orange Dream
    Orange dream April 2022.JPG
    Sister ghost
    Sister ghost April 2022.JPG
    Peaches and cream
    Peaches and cream April 2022.JPG
    Jerry Schwartz
    Jerre schwartz April 2022.JPG
    Bi hoo
    Bi hoo April 2022.JPG
    Okushimo
    Okushimo April 2022.JPG
    The only nice thing about a frosty clear night at this time of year, is a lovely bright sunny morning. So I'm trying to be positive.......
    Have a nice Sunday everyone.