Appreciation: Out and About

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, May 24, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

3 different Mahonia (the last one in my garden - a very invasive plant!)

IMG_9505-b.jpg IMG_9506-b.jpg IMG_9515-b.jpg

Edit : I'm not sure about the first one, but nr. 2 is 'Winter Sun' and nr. 3 is aquifolium.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    wcutler likes this.
  2. AlainK

Even when the sky is grey, it's so romantic to sit on a bench by the Loire... ;-)

IMG_9516-b.jpg

The snowdrops are not fully open yet :

IMG_9520-b.jpg IMG_9523-b.jpg

An artist ?... A patriot for sure :

IMG_9522-b.jpg IMG_9521-b.jpg

All tennis matches were cancelled due to covid restrictions. Back to nature (or: "invasion of the bryonic squad", or "Jocko's nightmare"...):

IMG_9524-b.jpg

wcutler likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The second is Hamamelis x intermedia; third is H. mollis. Right? That's based on what I wrote above. I can't smell your photos either.

4. AlainK

... I can't say, there were no labels. But I trust you.

As for the smell, I didn't smell anything, at say about 0 cm from the flowers. I have a very good sense of smell in spite of my addiction to tobacco, and since I'm trying to kick the habit, I don't bring my cigarettes when I go for a walk now...

5. wcutler

It's looking pretty springy around here. This is not the earliest the Magnolia 'Caerhays Belle' has bloomed, but usually it's two weeks later than this.
    MagnoliaCaerhaysBelle_HaroBidwell_Cutler_20220312_165442.jpg MagnoliaCaerhaysBelle_HaroBidwell_Cutler_20220312_165455.jpg

Forsythia are open now.
    Forsythia_EihuLnBroughton_Cutler_20220315_152409.jpg

I don't know what's happening in the rest of the city, but in the West End, the white Prunus cerasifera plums are almost in full bloom. The pink ones are always a few days behind.
    Prunus-cerasifera_HaroNicola_Cutler_20220315_153157.jpg Prunus-cerasifera_HaroNicola_Cutler_20220315_153206.jpg

This rhododendron has the fuzzy leaves of R. cilpinense, but the flowers are so white, I wonder if it's something else. I thought there was a similar species mentioned last year, but I don't know where.
    WhiteHairyLeavedRhododendron_WeeksHouse-1459Barclay_Cutler_20220315_142232.jpg WhiteHairyLeavedRhododendron_WeeksHouse-1459Barclay_Cutler_20220315_142245.jpg WhiteHairyLeavedRhododendron_WeeksHouse-1459Barclay_Cutler_20220315_142316.jpg WeeksHouse-1459Barclay_Cutler_20220315_142355.jpg WeeksHouse-1459Barclay_Cutler_20220315_142334.jpg
    These plants are in Barclay Heritage Square. From Barclay Heritage Square | The National Trust for Canada (nationaltrustcanada.ca):
    I only see nine buildings on Google Maps. Maybe the blurb was written before three buildings were found not to be salvageable.

Margot, pmurphy, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Enjoyed this Wendy. I love the history of places together with botany.

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, our neighbours Magnolia opened up in the early sunshine today. Magnolia liliflora
    IMG_20220317_123925090.jpg IMG_20220317_123912036.jpg

8. wcutler

This floriferous planting is at the lane behind the Saturday West End Farmers Market, around a 6-block walk away from me. The street-side flowers are mostly Monarda and Buddleia.
    Garden_Jepson-YoungLaBute_Cutler_20220716_130344.jpg Garden_Jepson-YoungLaBute_Cutler_20220716_130535.jpg Monarda_Jepson-YoungLaBute_Cutler_20220716_130514.jpg
    My neighbour Jeannette told me to look at the Montbretia around here somewhere. That seems to be the common name for Crocosmia, but I had to look it up. Maybe the flowers are commonly called that on the prairies where she's from. [Edited: Ron B, in posting #489, has ID'd this as likely to be C. 'Lucifer', and it is not the same as what should be called Montbretia, though maybe that term is being generalized in common usage. See further comments in posting #491.]
    Crocosmia Montbretia_Jepson-YoungLaBute_Cutler_20220716_130454.jpg

Pl@ntNet tells me it's 76% certain that the yellow flowers next to the Crocosmia are Lysimachia ciliata, fringed loosestrife.
    Lysimachia ciliata_Jepson-YoungLaBute_Cutler_20220716_130428.jpg Lysimachia ciliata_Garden_Jepson-YoungLaBute_Cutler_20220716_130418.jpg

Jeannette also suggested I visit these Trachelospermum asiaticum, at an apartment building mid-way between the market and our place. Wikipedia lists common names confederate jasmine, southern jasmine, star jasmine, confederate jessamine, and Chinese star jasmine. She said they were not open yesterday, thought I might have to wait a bit, but they're open now and fragrant. [Edited: Ron B, in posting #489, says these are T. jasminoides. ]
    Trachelospermum jasminoides_Marquis1355Pendrell_Cutler_20220716_131055.jpg Trachelospermum jasminoides_Marquis1355Pendrell_Cutler_20220716_131220.jpg Trachelospermum jasminoides_Marquis1355Pendrell_Cutler_20220716_131302.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Margot and Acerholic like this.
  9. AlainK

Beautiful.

Checked the weather in Vancouver, and apparently you're going to have some rain tomorrow, and temperatures between 20 and 26 next week. Lucky you ! No wonder the plants look so green, so healthy.

Margot likes this.
  10. wcutler

Yes, @AlainK, we've only had the merest taste of summer so far. I understand it's around 40C degrees over there. I was hoping for 20C here today - there are several festivals on this weekend. Plants are happy, though.

11. AlainK

Ha ! Just got a mail from an old friend of mine who plays the drums and other things. He and his band will accompany "une balade des bords de Loire". Hard to translate : "une balade" means a walk, without any particular aim, just for the pleasure of walking. And "une ballade" is a musical form, like... a ballad. ;°) "Musical strolling along the Loire" ?

--link removed, no longer working--

As I always say, if you happen to be around, do pop in. It will be fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2022
    wcutler likes this.
  12. AlainK

A few photos that I thought would not fit into the maple forum.
    "Arboretum des Grandes Bruyères", the most beautiful park/arboretum in the region. Even the lawns look like English lawns, figure that...

Zelkova serrata :

Ingrannes_221012o-zelko.jpg

Quercus robur (I think it's "robur")

Ingrannes_221012p-quercus.jpg

A rather young Pseudolarix amabilis in the Asian section :

Ingrannes_221012s-pseudolarix.jpg

There are several "point of view" where the trees in the distance enhance the whole scene. I don't know what the red tree/bush in the distance is, it's at the limit of the park, in a private section :

Ingrannes_221012q.jpg

Another "door" in the (North-) American section. It leads to a pond with Taxodium disstichum around, their feet in the water :

Ingrannes_221012s-taxodium-1.jpg Ingrannes_221012s-taxodium-2.jpg

There was also a tree with branches going upward. Taxodium distichum 'Ascendens' according to the label.

Ingrannes_221012s-taxodium-4.jpg Ingrannes_221012s-taxodium-3.jpg

"And what is this one ?..."
    "Maybe a kind of oak" I replied.
    Not as big as the local species of oak, but quite big when you are under the branches.
    I felt I was improving when I read "Quercus phellos". ;°D

Ingrannes_221012r-phellos.jpg

wcutler and Margot like this.
  13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

14. Ron B

Common name montbretia applies to Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora conventionally; plant shown resembles much planted 'Lucifer' which is of different parentage. Climber on wall is Trachelospermum jasminioides actually. And not T. asiaticum.

wcutler likes this.
  15. wcutler

@Ron B, thank you. I've noted the corrections in the postings and my files.

16. Ron B

If I were you I would say something on the source post about my saucer magnolia comment also, as the plant shown is clearly that and not lily magnolia. In addition 'Lucifer' is most likely for the variety shown by not certain; there have been some similar ones circulated. And it would not surprise me to find web pages stating that all crocosmias are montbretias, just as the voodoo lily name that used to be applied to Sauromatum specifically has become repeatedly used for Dracunculus (and sometimes others) over time.

17. wcutler

@Acerholic, this comment is for your posting #482.

18. AlainK

Our "département", like many others in France (and elsewhere), bears the name of a river.
    The "Loiret" is a resurgence of the river Loire. The water infiltrates the lower soil about 20 km upstream, and comes back at "La Source". Self-explanatory.
    Olivet is the last small town (now in the "conurbation") before it rejoins the Loire again.

The atmosphere there is of an impressionist painting, with its guinguettes (bars where people would drink absinthe and dance the Sunday away...).

Nice properties on the south side, big ones, small ones, they all have "un garage à bateau" (a boat house ?).
    A heron ("héron cendré") is standing on a boat : it must be used to hikers because it barely turned the head when we came, à 10 mètres, 30 feet from it. And my friend had a dog (a small Jack Russel - and my, I just can't figure out how such a small thing has so much energy!) !

Olivet-01_221027.jpg Olivet-02_221027.jpg

Olivet-03_221027.jpg Olivet-11_221027.jpg

I must have dozens of photos of this one. I saw that they recently added notes with an abstract in English.

Olivet-04_221027.jpg Olivet-05_221027.jpg Olivet-06_221027.jpg Olivet-07_221027.jpg

There are several mills along the river. This one is not very spectacular, the first mill was built in the 15th century but the present building is more recent. There's a couple more mills that are much more picturesque, but we didn't walk very far today.

Olivet-08_221027.jpg

The most common tree along the roads of France is Platanus × acerifolia, Platanus × hispanica, or hybrid plane.

It has long been used to provide shade. It's so common that when someone had an accident, people would say "Il s'est fait un platane", even if the tree was not un "platane". (He hit a plane ! ??? <LOL>)

Some of them are leaking down the fences - or are they eating them ?

Olivet-13_221027.jpg

Others were probably closer to the bank at a time when heavy rains would make the soil spongy, then grow straight branches again. OPther (native) species look the same.

Olivet-12_221027.jpg

Among the native trees, Carpinus betulus, hornbeam, charme (*). This one doesn't have an aerial root, it's a young tree that fused with its kin :

Olivet-09_221027.jpg Olivet-10_221027.jpg

AK

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    wcutler and Margot like this.
  19. wcutler

Those are thrilling photos, Alain. The plane tree eating the fence is a riot (very funny).

Margot and AlainK like this.
  20. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

When an irresistible force meets an immovable object.
    upload_2022-10-27_11-26-50.png

AlainK likes this.
  21. wcutler

I always liked this catch-all thread for things I come across in my neighbourhood walks. It's Viburnum x bodnantense time again. This one on the boulevard outside Barclay Heritage Square, on the Haro side, appeared here almost two years ago in January. It's looking even better now.
    ViburnumXbodnantense_HaroNicola_Cutler_20231221_153300.jpg ViburnumXbodnantense_HaroNicola_Cutler_20231221_153354.jpg

This one is on Pendrell near Thurlow, still in the same West End neighbourhood.
    ViburnumXbodnantense_PendrellThurlow_Cutler_20231221_142618.jpg ViburnumXbodnantense_PendrellThurlow_Cutler_20231221_142652.jpg

My neighbourhood is really densely packed with high-rises and long 3-story apartment buildings, yet there are still several locations that make it feel homey.

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  22. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

I took a photo of one of those today, too, in my neighbourhood, which is fairly high up on a hill in East Vancouver.

F43C6ADA-8074-4C7F-8DE7-6DFD61C658BA_1_105_c.jpeg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  23. wcutler

I took these photos two weeks ago, but they are more about the street than the Magnolia kobus trees per se. For information for locals who might visit, this is Charles Street west from Rupert Street at Rupert Park Pitch & Putt. It is not a major street, though it does run through two neighbourhoods, ending in Vancouver at the east end at Charles Park, then picking up very briefly in Burnaby. The 2 km stretch from Rupert west to Nanaimo is all as wide as shown in the photos, with the wide boulevard on both sides. The kobus magnolias are most densely planted on the north side of Charles in the first block from Rupert, but they continue west up to 6 per block on both sides, for about 1 km. west to Renfrew. Street trees — City of Vancouver Open Data Portal
    Magnolia kobus_CharlesRupert_Cutler_20240318_161336.jpg Magnolia kobus_CharlesRupert_Cutler_20240318_155620.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  24. AlainK

22°C today, and they forecast 28°C for tomorrow ! I went to the nearest park I like so much this afternoon.

It looked as if it had snowed, I think it's the first time I've seen so many daisies :

IMG_4402b.jpg IMG_4407b.jpg IMG_4417b.jpg

I don't know why they drastically prune this grotesque pollard of a Salix of some sort. When I came closer, another surprise : it's invaded by small beetles, I've never seen this (them) before :

IMG_4404b.jpg IMG_4403b.jpg

I expected to see more Prunus (or cherries as you call them) but there were not so many. Prunus subhirtella 'Fukubana', and Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan' :

IMG_4406b.jpg IMG_4423b.jpg

All the Azalea/Rhododendron have not flowered yet, but there are already some nice ones :

IMG_4410b.jpg IMG_4426b.jpg IMG_4427b.jpg IMG_4428b.jpg IMG_4429b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2024
    Acerholic likes this.