Identification: Not an 'aidzuense'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Feb 21, 2022.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I collected these seeds and planted them in the winter 19-20. I was almost sure they were from an Acer tataricum var. aidzuense, but I already posted photos of the seedlings and some doubted they were tataricum. I think they're right.

They're fast growers: I've kept them in small potsbut the tallest are already 50-60 cm tall (2 feet).

But the bark does not look like tataricum, more like a kind of "snake-bark" maple. Pictures of the buds and the bark today, and others of the leaves in the previous year. Any idea what they might be? Davidii? Morifolium?

IMG_9603-b.jpg IMG_9605-b.jpg IMG_9606-b.jpg IMG_9607-b.jpg IMG_9608-b.jpg

acer-tataricum-aidzu_211022a.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with one of the snake-barks. Probably difficult or impossible to know which, I'd guess they hybridise readily with each other in cultivation.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for your input.
    And yes, when you grow trees from seeds, you're never sure to get exactly the same tree. I picked them at an arboretum, and there were many other species, some of them in the Macrantha section, or in the Ginnala section.

They're still young (for trees), and seeing flowers, which is one of the best keys to identification, might take a long time. Maybe my sons will know ;°)

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Def a snakebark of some kind. Leaves are starting to bud out here.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The snakebarks start flowering when still quite young, I've seen flowers/seeds on I'd guess 15-20 year old specimens, perhaps younger. I'd not get too pessimistic!