What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Aren’t we, soft southerners and those on the west supposed to get the brunt of tomorrow..

I moved a load of JM pots that sit under an ash tree (provides great summer dappled shade)earlier..it’s so brittle branches snap off regularly!

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Here, they forecast wind of 40 km/hr, with gusts at 75 km/hr for tomorrow. Then, a few days with 30 to 50 km/hr winds.
    Only a few places along the Channel will have stronger winds.

On Monday, we had a hail storm here. It didn't last long, just a few minutes, and was followed by heavy rain for about 15 minutes, then, the sky cleared. At my mother's place, about 5 miles up north, the hail was not followed by rain, and the ice stayed on her balcony for more than an hour.

It's very early, here we call that "une giboulée de mars" - don't know what the English is for this kind of event that usually happens in March : a rapidly changing weather condition, usually some wind, sunny patches, then a dark cloud with hail or heavy rain.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Talking about 100mph winds for the west country and a rare phenomenon called a Sting jet.
    What is a sting jet? The weather phenomenon that could make Storm Eunice deadly
    Haven't seen this for 35 years.... the great storm of 87 that felled 10's of thousands of trees across the UK. Fingers crossed for everyone tonight.

D

4. AlainK

Wow! That's 160 km/hr !!!

Last time we saw that here was in 1999, and it did a lot of damage. People were allowed to come with their own chainsaw and take home the fallen timber that was across the streets or anywhere, there was too much to clean up... I wish you won't have to do the same.

5. dicky5ash

Am getting too old for shifting 3foot cube pots and half barrels!!! Boy that was hard work.. done what I can!

Attached Files:

Acerholic, ROEBUK, maf and 1 other person like this.
  6. AlainK

Good job, well done !

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It seems as if 'Eunice' will be a real corker. Worse than 'Dudley'. Stay safe all. Maybe worse in the south the north? Shouldn't be much for us in Normandie, unless it changes course.

Loving the storm names this year, anyway...

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Same with me now to many aches and pains , finding some containers are just so heavy to lift . The vast majority of all my containers are all plastic with either rimmed/roll top edges or handles so they can be easily dragged to safer positions when needed , only have three cultivars in clay pots and the largest one of these is sitting on a dolly trolley so it can be moved in a breath. Just checked all the metal spike container holders to day for all the pots on the ground making sure their nicely banged down deeply and well anchored.
    Hopefully we might just skirt the edge of storm 'Eunice' , but forecasted for heavy snow , Hey Ho !!!

dicky5ash likes this.
  9. emery

@opusoculi Pierre show us a picture of your hydraulic pot lifter! (montres ton machin pour déplacer les grands pots, tu l'as toujours? j'adore.)

maf and dicky5ash like this.
  10. Acerholic

11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The roof has been partially ripped off the O2 arena in London. Some good pictures here of Storm Eunice courtesy of the BBC:
    Storm Eunice reaches the UK

Keith Elliott and emery like this.
  12. Acerholic

How is it in Northamptonshire M ? Down to 65mph now here in Hampshire.

D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

maf and emery like this.
  14. emery

What a shame, Michael. I do hope no one was hurt.

I started reading the comments, but got to "That tree has a lot of leaves for February. Is this Eunice?" and couldn't go on. Obviously a hoax, lol.

Hearing from lots of folks without power, or who lost trees and roof tiles. Hope everyone here is OK.

It was a squib for us, thankfully. We only just topped 60 kph.

maf likes this.
  15. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aye, there's a lot of misidentifications and nonsense in the replies! But yep, it's real, not an old or a hoax video.

16. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It was windy here but not too bad. Some roof slates and a ridge tile were ripped off a tall building across the road and landed near where my car was parked but no damage done, thankfully. Haven't been out and about to see if any local trees are down - might go for a walk in a local park tomorrow, the trees there are of an age such that something falls nearly every time there is a big storm.

Hope everyone else in the UK is safe and well.

Keith Elliott and dicky5ash like this.
  17. Acerholic

I second that M

D

18. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

This morning the wind was really crazy in Bristol! We've lost about 6 fence panels (broken and down), haven't check the trees yet, but I managed to put the pots yesterday in a more sheltered area, and all my 1 year seedlings in the un heated conservatory. Thanks to not having leaves in winter, the bigger ones in the ground seem to have done ok

Hope everyone is ok

Keith Elliott, dicky5ash and maf like this.
  19. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I just watched a video of planes landing at Heathrow Airport and couldn't help but wonder how maples and other plants would fare in such windy conditions.

If it ain't one thing, it's another! I hope all of you affected are able to rebound and, if necessary, recoup.

Keith Elliott and maf like this.
  20. Acerholic

And now the clear up !!! It was a bad Winter already for the trees of the UK, as can be seen in this article.

BBC News - More than eight million trees lost this winter in the UK
    More than eight million trees lost this winter in the UK

But after two massive storms this week, I hate to think how many more of our landscapes have been changed forever.

D

21. dicky5ash

Keith Elliott, maf and Acerholic like this.
  22. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

OK ... Here we are in Yorkshire we have had the wind, rain , hail showers and sleet over the past two days, and now today with have the white stuff falling, The first picture is from 12.15 pm when it started and the second is taken at 2.00 pm and it's still snowing now.

Attached Files:

Margot, Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  23. Acerholic

So many trees down here. Paths blocked everywhere. But no white stuff M @ROEBUK . Yet !!!
    IMG_20220219_075715999.jpg IMG_20220219_075722333.jpg

D

ROEBUK, Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  24. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Just finished watching videos on our weather channel, and they have reported loss of life in the UK. I sincerely trust that none of our friends have been injured in that terrible storm. Last one I remember (personally) was when I was about 13 or so, living in Haywards Heath, Sussex. The newspapers reported 108 mph winds at Brighton causing damage. And I remember walking home and having to lean backwards to avoid being blown over.
    I expect to hear from one of my cousins there who would have been in the middle of this terrible mess, hopefully she is OK.
    Meanwhile, all we have here in the banana belt is fog, snow, rain and no wind. But still, just over a foot of snow on the ground. Really nothing to worry about.

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  25. emery

Banana belt, haha!

So sorry to see those trees over D. The snow reminds me of the storm of 1999, still just called "la tempête" here. We lost over 50 big trees, a lot of roof, and the house threatened to collapse -- I had to find industrial masonry jacks at 7am the day after Christmas; lucky I hadda guy -- but we considered ourselves lucky compared to many. A huge Tilia came down next to the car, not on it, or on the house, and mostly we were spared the mini-tornadoes. The following day it started to snow, huge flakes that quickly accumulated, and we let ourselves be persuaded to go to Paris and camp with friends, two toddlers in tow. The most surreal thing was the road signs, the poles twisted around several times and the signs themselves canted at strange angles, like old stunted trees.

Friend in Kent is still without power, hope everyone here has it back.

AlainK, Keith Elliott, ROEBUK and 2 others like this.