Another jade tree falling over...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jackie123, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Jackie123

Jackie123 New Member

My sons poor jade plant. It grew tall and was heavy. Seemed to be doing great with new growth but noticed it leaning one day so he tried giving it support. It ended up falling over. Can it be saved ?

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Isn't it overwatered?
    I water mine at most once a week. They're inside of course, temp. around 20°C (68 F), like this one in a very shallow pot, with a mix with "akadama". The akadama on the top is pure, when it gets a lighter colour, it means that the soil is dry.

Last weeks, I found small branches that I had cut from another one in my garage. There is very little light and the temp. stays around 13°C (55 F) there. It had stayed there for about 3 weeks and to my surprise, it had formed roots. Maybe you could use the top and this info to start a new one.

crassula01_220217a.jpg

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Roots will also form nicely in typical room temperatures (20C/68F). I would make a cut just below the first node above the bend then allow the cut to callus over and roots to form naturally before replanting. If it is top-heavy, the separated portion may need to be staked while new roots are developing.

@AlainK
    That's a nice looking tree. I'm surprised it doesn't topple over. It's root system must be well-developed to be able to support all that weight.

AlainK likes this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It was originally a cutting the size of the low S-shaped branch in the bottom right. It was then cultivated in a rather flat pots, so the root system expanded horizontally. Of course, I put it outside when there is no more frost, and in a protected place when it's windy. I will prune the branches later.

Margot and Junglekeeper like this.