What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

2021 Garden Complaint Desk:
    Acer p. 'Orangeola' - finally recovering from the loss of 2/3 of my canopy due to ??? root rot a few years ago.

1. Hit suddenly with scorching temperatures at the end of June which fried many leaves even in my semi-shaded position.
    2. Simultaneously dealt with a severe lack of water starting at the end of June.
    3. Unprecedented flooding in mid-November took down our deer fence and allowed deer to chomp on many of my remaining leaves.
    3. Hit with record cold temperatures at the end of December (hopefully mitigated by a generous snow cover).

WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?!?

Looking forward to a happier year in 2022. I know my gardener loves me and will do what she can to help me survive and prosper. Just feeling a little nervous, that's all.

(Photo taken in September 2021 showing deer damage but an otherwise optimistic-looking little tree.)

Attached Files:

2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Very witty! If our garden ever decides to come out of hiding from all this snow, I will see what it has to say. Pretty close to yours I suspect!

Margot likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Margot, I sympathize...
    Where I live, my house is on the highest spot of the town, about 100 metres above the Loire, so no risk of being flooded.
    People panic when there's 5 or 10 cm snow on the streets, which happens every two years or so now. Cars bump into the others because people here are not used to this kind of weather. That made my friends from Québec have a great laugh...
    The only thing I personally have to fear - very selflishly - is hot and dry weather in summer.
    If my sons can't keep my collection of maples, they'll grow olive trees and fig, that's all.

I wish you a much better year 22 than the year 21...

Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Coldest night of the year so far, -6.6C. just after noon is is still -0.9, I hoped to be planting, but that doesn't seem possible for now!

@Margot, 'Orangeola' is a pretty tough maple, so here's hoping...

Margot likes this.
  5. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Our temps are above freezing this entire week.

I won’t be planting anything like Emery, but hopefully most of the snow will melt. I do have a ‘Dragon’s Fire’ and a ‘Fireball’ that I will be planting sometime in February.

6. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

dry and mild here in socal smack dab in the middle of winter. i HATE it here. the maples do too

7. Soumil Yarlagadda

its going to be in the 80s next week, come ON MAN!

emery and Margot like this.
  8. Margot

Hi @Soumil Yarlagadda ; it's none of my business to ask but I'm curious to know how you came to live in a place you hate?

9. Soumil Yarlagadda

im only 16 years old, but once im of age ill move out somewhere cooler. of course climate will be the last of my worries

10. Margot

I'm confused - if you really want to live somewhere cooler, shouldn't climate be an important consideration?

11. Soumil Yarlagadda

its more of a preference. the sunny weather has become so monotonous its depressing. maybe i exaggerated a bit on it being the last of my worries, but it would be foolish to avoid a place just because of its climate

12. Margot

I disagree! We've only got one life to live and, given the choice, I want to live in a climate that supports the kind of vegetation I want to see around me. The sort of climate where I can grow many of the plants I love. For me, living in an area where there are 4 distinct seasons is essential. I know there are other considerations for many people like the proximity of family and career prospects in deciding where they live. As I told my husband long ago, I won't live anywhere ferns don't grow.

13. Soumil Yarlagadda

agreed

Margot likes this.
  14. Keith Elliott

Now Margot, as a long time resident of B.C., surely you know our four seasons are Fall, Winter, followed by three months of bad sledding and then Highway Construction!
    I'm not sure how your weather has been on the Island, but we've had more than our share of snow here this winter. Still around 18" or more on the ground and it has been fun trying to keep our steep driveway navigable. Not to mention the four foot high pile of what has become solid ice at the top, courtesy of the snowplow that delights in giving us all this extra work to do just so we can escape occasionally.

15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Maples do very well in Portland !!!! Or so it seems looking at the YouTube videos.

D

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  16. Margot

Trouble is that the distance between Portico Hills where @Soumil Yarlagadda is located and Portland Oregon is roughly 1000 miles and quite a different climate.

17. Margot

As a long-time west coast resident yourself, Keith, you know I would never try to compete with you about winter conditions where you live now. You definitely have more challenges from the snow and cold than I could ever imagine. It would be great to think that you'd welcome Spring with even more joy than we on the coast but, from the sounds of it you skip Spring and segue directly into 'bad sledding'. You're not fooling anyone though after seeing the beautiful pictures you've posted this past year or more; it's just hard to remember when the weather is awful how lovely it will be in a few months.

18. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I couldn't agree more. And the seasons here are much less "extreme"...

Soumil Yarlagadda and Margot like this.
  19. Keith Elliott

I'm afraid that's a very old line I used there, and there may not be much truth to it, except for the highway construction part.
    This past winter has been strange, to say the least. Apparently, we are to expect highs above zero for the next 7 days! You sure won't hear me complaining about that. A couple of weeks ago, the maples here were nearly free of snow, then we got almost another two feet of the stuff. The few warm days we had in a row caused a big ice dam on one section of our roof, in turn causing damage to one of the bedrooms. Now we have drywall repairs to contend with, hardly my favourite pastime.
    After a somewhat strenuous afternoon of snow clearing two weeks ago, I ended up in hospital. Those ambulance rides are really bumpy, especially when you get bounced around for an hour and a quarter. Naturally all the tests showed absolutely nothing wrong with my vital organs. Now the next three months are going to be taken up with a barrage of yet more tests, none of which will likely show anything else wrong. There comes a point at my age, 80 this year, when one no longer cares for all these tests.
    I see that the weather channel has our current temperature as -6º, while it is actually only -2.2º here. Lately they have been way off with their temperatures. Although the general forecasts have been close.
    I will say that I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the sun again and some nice warm weather. I love being outside when the weather is good, and having been cooped up inside for the last few months without a functioning heat pump hasn't been much fun. After a ten month hiatus, the heat pump has finally been fixed. Long story, and expensive.
    It seems that the whole world is having extreme weather, from exploding volcanoes to wildfires to flooding to major storms on our east coast, the list goes on. And yet, in reality, our winter has been quite normal. I just hope we don't get a repeat of last summers' heat dome here, that definitely wasn't fun.

20. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

I also am hoping we don’t have a repeat heat dome. Though in reality, the huge snowstorm this winter did more damage to my maples than the heat dome did. I suppose it gives me an excuse to replace some of them with something new and exciting.

21. Soumil Yarlagadda

@Keith Elliott would you like the southern california climate? Im beginning to feel like im really priviledged living in this climate lol

Keith Elliott likes this.
  22. Keith Elliott

This odd weather doesn't seem to have been kind to anyone, or anything. My maples are still buried of course. But here we are more or less used to the snow. Our daughter in Chilliwack wasn't the least bit impressed with how much you folks got there this past winter. But let's hope for the best for your maples!

23. Keith Elliott

Well indeed you are privileged Soumil. I just checked your forecast for tomorrow and a low of 8ºC and high of 25ºC would suit me just fine! Now I'm honestly not sure where Portola Hills is, so I used L.A. as my guide. Are you anywhere near there?

24. Soumil Yarlagadda

its in Orange county, its usually cooler here in winter and summer

25. Soumil Yarlagadda

its a bit south of LA, in lake forest