Near DC falling brown-tipped leaves on my brand new Meyer tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by SunnyDW, Jan 26, 2022.

1. SunnyDW

SunnyDW New Member

Hello all,

I need help with my brand new Meyer lemon tree that I bought in Spring 2021 that I then placed in a container. It’s been in this container since early Spring. I placed it outside during the Spring. It has never produced fruit, only blooms. I brought my tree inside in early December before the temperatures started to fall below 50 degrees in Northern Virginia, near Washington DC. Now leaves are turning brown and are continuing to drop. Please help and thank you!

I’ve attached photos.

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Leaf drop from citrus when conditions change is quite common. I list the major types and reasons for leaf loss in our pages here: Problems and Treatments | Aprici

A couple of photos seem to show a bit of stippling, which could be a sign of spider mites. However, I cannot tell for certain from the photos provided. Mites are very small and you normally need a magnifying glass to see them. Mites will definitely cause stress and lead to increasing stress and leaf drop as they multiply. Luckily they are relatively simple to control. I provide some tips here: Pests | Aprici

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: such issues occurring with citrus that are being moved in and out each year are a recurring source of social media questions. So that if I was growing any potted citrus myself, I would keep them inside all of the time. Same as with all kinds of house plants actually - apart from them having to adjust to sudden changes in the growing environment twice per year when summered outdoors these are also likely to come in with bugs and slugs on them in fall.

4. SunnyDW

SunnyDW New Member

Thanks very much for your suggestion to keep the lemon tree inside, which I will do.

Thanks for responding, however I’m unable open either of your links.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
  5. Will B

Will B Active Member

Sorry to hear you are having trouble opening the links. They work fine from here. If you can let me know the error you see then I can try to figure out what the issue may be.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The links work for me too.

7. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Did you limit watering for winter? What's the ambient temperature in the room?
    Citruses usually need less water in winter times. And they prefer cooler room (ca +15ºC/+60ºF), not regular warm house temperatures.
    If the room temperature is warm, then citruses need proper lighting. Don't forget - plants feed from sunlight. You are not as far up in the North as I am, but I'm still thinking about possible poor lighting situation even at your latitude.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022