Seed distribution ‘22

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Jan 17, 2022.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Hello my friends.

Does anyone know roughly when the seeds will be distributed? I’m really getting the “itch” if you will, and can’t wait to see what arrives.

All the best,

kyle

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I didn't participate this year. Did no one receive a distribution, or only Kyle?

Last year the decision was taken to not send UK seed to the US, and I know that there was no UK seed sent to France this year. Was there a separate NAB distribution? It all seems very confused to me!

@AlainK I know you usually participate (as do I, it's a great benefit), do you know what the story is?

-E

3. kgeezy20

Oh yikes. If there was no actual distribution, I wonder what I paid for, lol

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I didn't participate in the latest scheme, but there were some exchanges between members of the "French branch", mostly palm/oenum and shirasawanum cultivars.

It's a pity, but I think that because of the Brexit, new schemes will probably have to be implemented. This would be a stopgap, or second-best solution for I'm afraid the number of species shared would be reduced, like it was in the "French" exchange...

emery likes this.
  5. emery

I don't necessarily disagree. In practice, the ability to send seed from the UK to EU, post-Brexit, is broadly variable depending on individual country. For example, there appears to be no problem sending seed to France, wheres Sweden automatically rejects British seed. In other words, it depends on how strictly the destination country implements the rules. For certain this made the distribution complicated (though not impossible) this past year. I do know that the exchange program no longer accepted seed from outside of the UK this year, which I found unfortunate.

For the US, the situation has not changed with Brexit. It was always of (shall we say) questionable legality to send seed to the US. There are several cases where the seed was confiscated by customs, but most of the time the rules were loosely interpreted. For the 2020 distribution, in the unknowns of the early-mid pandemic, the decision was taken that it would be better to not send seed to the US; other factors included potentially problematic seed being sent to the UK for wide distribution. I don't believe any formal decision was made for the 2021 distribution, and because the MS screwed up access to the ability to sign up (which should have been in the member area, except they never sent out temp passwords to members, so that area of the site remains inaccessible) basically anyone could sign up (member or no). Therefore NAB members may have signed up, or other members from EU or elsewhere.

I just don't know what was sent out, or when. Kyle, it's possible that your seed either hasn't gone out, (it is sometimes very late), was never going to go out because seeds were only sent to UK members, or went out and was confiscated.

@LoverOfMaples did you participate this year?

Yes, it was pretty clear that the "French seed exchange" was very limited compared to the usual distribution. It does require significant work to do the whole thing.

6. kgeezy20

Update

Attached Files:

AlainK and maf like this.
  7. emery

Ah ha! Good news. So of the available options, the solution is finally that it was sent out a bit late. Looks like a good haul!

Make sure you keep things like diabolicum, triflorum, griseum for several years. Last spring I ended up with 5 diabolicum seedlings from the 2019 distribution.

LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  8. kgeezy20

Diabolicum did well for me from 2019 as well. I’m most excited about the micranthum. I’ve never found a seed supplier here in the states.

AlainK likes this.
  9. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Yes, I participated this year @emery. My seeds surprisely showed up yesterday. I was feeling like @kgeezy20 a few weeks ago. I had start wondering if that money could go toward my '22 membership fee, lol. I received some good stuff from the exchange. Very excited to see what germinate for me.

I had 2 micranthum to germinate last year that I collected in '19.

10. emery

Good A. micranthum seed is very hard to get hold of, I'm not sure why. Here it seeds well and doesn't hybridize too much; the flowers are much later than most of the section. They're such beautiful maples. One of ours died last year, but I do have some seedlings (1 and 2 years old) in the pipe now, set set to replace it.

The micranthum seedlings are a little tetchy for me, some of them just don't grow and then die at the end of the first season. I guess the seed is so small, it can't stock much energy.

11. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I was feeling that way. I left my A. outside unprotected. I hope they survive and maybe more will germinate.

I wonder why the NAB do not hold it's on seed distribution? Due to the risk of the seeds not making through customs.

AlainK likes this.
  12. kgeezy20

I’ve had the same experience with micranthum. I had several, I believe 4-6, germinate for me in 2019, and all ended up dying rather spontaneously.

13. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Hi all... I was able to get my hands on seed that germinates extremely well. Small-seeded acer palmatum. I put some in the fridge, some in the greenhouse... all of them are already germinating...

All of the big-seeded acers I collected are still stratifying... outside, fridge... no movement.

Attached Files:

Acerholic, LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  14. Kodama05

Kodama05 New Member

Dear members,
    I try to find A. elegantulum, pentaphyllum, pubinerve and oliverianum seeds.
    I know the seed exchange, but they are cannot guarantee the particular species.
    Can anybody help?
    Boglarka

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022