Looking for gold kiwi plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by pmurphy, Aug 7, 2013.

1. B.C.

B.C. New Member

Ramblingrotors I don't understand your blanket question. Do you mean propagate from Gold kiwi or any kiwi?
    This year I have propagated kiwis from seeds, from cuttings and from ground layering with 100% successful rate for the limited number of experiments.The cited well-known methods are not limited to kiwis and can be used for most plants. I am including photos to illustrate. The pictures are all date stampted.

Pictures 1-3 Actinidia arguta kiwis from cuttings.
    Pictures 4-6 Issia kiwi from ground layering.
    Pictures 7-8 Hayward kiwi from seeds.

The newly created plants are fragile. They need to be protected from the elements for the first couple few years until they are established.

You can find many more references from Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kiwi+clone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2021
  2. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

I grew some from seeds from a supermarket fruit. They were very easy to grow. I began growing them indoors first under artificial light, and then planted them outside in the summer. They were very fast growing indoors, and have now acclimated to outside conditions, having already gone through a winter. Of course, when you grow them from seeds, you better grow several plants because you can't be sure whether they are males or females yet. If you grow three of them, the chances that they will all be the same gender is only 25%.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Based on its fruit characters the cultivar that soon became dominant on the produce market in western Washington State would appear to be derived from crossing of Actinidia chinensis and A. deliciosa. Which probably means seedlings raised from purchased fruits may have fruits that vary even more than those produced by seedlings of the pure species might.

The History of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  4. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Yes, you are probably right. Though that might not be an entirely bad thing. There's a small possibility that the offspring might be better.

5. caythuyduong

caythuyduong New Member

Hi pmurphy, I purchased a kiwi tree from a lady on Vancouver island ($60?) she said it’s been about 4 years but I now figured out that I need a male and female. Are there any tips you can suggest at this point/stage?

6. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

In most cases*, yes you do need male and female - 1 male for up to 8 females - to get fruit. It might be difficult but not impossible to obtain what you need.

Do you know what variety you purchased?
    Do you know if you have male or female?

If you do not know whether its male or female then you will have to wait until the vine flowers to determine this; male plants will produce pollen females won't. There are several vendors that now carry gold kiwi (if this is what you are looking for) - Phoenix Perennials in Richmond would be your best bet but you may have to wait until spring for new stock.
    My vines began flowering in 2019 at about 6 years of age and started producing fruit in 2020 so you may have to be patient.

*the exception will be the self pollinating issai kiwi but even these produce much better if you have multiples.

7. Creatrix

Creatrix Active Member

Ah! I should have been more patient I am guessing: I planted a Issai kiwi and waited and waited and waited and finally in year five they produced very few fruits (maybe four or five) that were approx. 2" in diameter: then the heat started in the valley over June/July/August (very little rain during that time) and I ended up pulling the plant: my reasoning was it was taking too much resource (municipal water) to justify the size and amount of fruit. I suspect I should have planted the vine in a more sheltered spot and given it another year.