Acer pictum 'Naguri nishiki'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LoverOfMaples, Dec 28, 2021.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hello every one. I hope all is doing well and having a great holiday!

Is there anyone out there growing A. pictum 'Narguri nishiki'? @alex66 @emery

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi D, have you seen it offered anywhere? I'm not sure this one has ever made it to the West, at least I've never seen it. Really a gorgeous maple, I'd buy it in a second!

3. LoverOfMaples

Hey E. I didn't hesitate,lol. I thought it was worth getting in trouble with my wife. Can't wait for the growing season.

4. emery

Wow, fantastic find. I'm counting on you to propagate it for us, I can pick it up on my next trip over. LOL.

I see the Nichol's have it, is that where you got it from? They probably brought it over. I've been reminding Esveld to graft 'Tokiwa nishiki' for years, but he keeps forgetting.

5. LoverOfMaples

E, if you can give me enough notice, I sure will :)

Yes, that's where it came from and I would love to get me hands on 'Tokiwa nishiki' too. I wonder if Ed have it? If I get that one, the 3 Amigos will be complete.

6. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

I bought one and planted it in October 2021. It had already lost its leaves by the time it arrived. I got mine from Gossler Farms.

7. Worldly_Wrangler

I was able to complete my Pictum 3 amigos with ‘Usugumo’ and ‘Hoshi Yadori’, though I guess I could make it 4 with ‘Tokiwa Nishiki’ if I can ever find one for sale. Either that or an ‘Akikaze Nishiki’ which I also can’t seem to find.

8. LoverOfMaples

This one is also on my most have list.

9. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I got a 7 gallon Akikaze Nishiki from Conifer Kingdom spring of this year.
    I will try a couple of air-layers in this coming year
    Would be happy to send to @Worldly_Wrangler and @LoverOfMaples if layers successful

10. emery

'Akikaze nishiki' is a wonderful maple. We actually have a quite big one, it's beautiful but quite subtle in fall, and turns early. I bought another one called 'Shufu nishiki' that turns out to be a synonym for Akikaze. Shufu is getting planted this winter.

Ed grafted two pictums for me in 2018, one is 'Akikaze yutaka', which is meant to have a whiter variegation. It's pretty but I can't tell if it's different yet, still in a pot (12l). The other 'Kamasasaka nishiki' was very beatiful, but sadly died from the sudden blight -- out of nowhere, too -- early this summer. A classic fast verticillium.

@Worldly_Wrangler you found a 'Usugumo' in your first year of maple collecting!! That's amazing lol. I must have looked for 5 years before I got one, some people much longer. Always in awe of some of the great maple nurseries in the US! Things are much more limited here.

11. Worldly_Wrangler

@kbguess I’ll take you up on that offer! ‘Akikaze Nishiki’ seems to be hard to find in the US.

@emery strangely enough, ‘Usugumo’ was very easy to find and was available from several online and local nurseries. I must have gotten into maples at the right time! I have really gained an interest in variegated leaf maples since I purchased an ‘Esk Sunset’ in May.

I was pleasantly surprised when ‘Naguri Nishiki’ showed up at several places this fall. I am glad Lover of maples and I were able to get one.

Im still looking for my “holy grail” a variegated Acer Griseum like ‘Golden Lucky’. From what I can tell, it isn’t available in the US yet.

@LoverOfMaples you should start a gallery thread for ‘Naguri Nishiki’. Throw in a picture of it while leafless! I’ll contribute one too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  12. LoverOfMaples

Keith, keep me updated. I will be very grateful. I have a few rootstock I can try grafting :)

@emery I couldn't find anything from my quick search online on those two that was gifted by Ed. Are they from his private inventory?

@Worldly_Wrangler I definitely will as usual. BTW, if you find 'Golden Lucky', please contact me. I'm sure it haven't and maybe not make over the pond. If I'm correct @alex66 have or had one.

Hey @Acerholic. D, can this thread be moved or do I need to start a new one?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  13. emery

"Golden Lucky' has done well for Alex, but not for me. I planted it last year and it seems happier in the ground, but not very variegated. I call it "Golden Unlucky".

14. LoverOfMaples

E, bring a few scion over next time you visit. Maybe ill get lucky!

Worldly_Wrangler and emery like this.
  15. Worldly_Wrangler

Coincidentally, Mr. Maple just posted a video about Acer Pictum cultivars.

16. Worldly_Wrangler

They mentioned a cultivar that I had heretofore not heard of ‘Kamasaki Nishiki’.

17. LoverOfMaples

I was just about to post but you beat me to it. I can't wait to see which one they post tomorrow. I hope its one I don't have.

Worldly_Wrangler likes this.
  18. Worldly_Wrangler

I see I’m not the only one who gets excited before bed on Monday night in anticipation.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  19. emery

I had a 'Kamasaka nishiki', a small plant, but it died this year. Ed gave me mine. I think Kamasaki is an alternate spelling.

A. truncatum _hates_ late freezing, so it's not necessarily the best understock for most of us. Norway maple might be better.

FWIW, "Batwing Maple" relates to 'Usugumo', The common name for Acer pictum is Painted Maple.

Nice video as usual from Matt and Tim.

-E

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  20. LoverOfMaples

Very good to know. Something I can play around with in the near future.

I'm really excited to see what they have coming down the pipeline. Every year, I tell myself, "I'm not going buy anything unnecessary". Then I find something new, rare, forgotten about, very unique, that I can't help my. Oh well............. I guess they all are necessary :-)

21. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Are any of these pictum cultivars available in the UK? A quick search hasn't turned up anyone who can supply 'Usugomo' let alone any of the rarer ones....

22. emery

'Usugumo' is notoriously difficult to find. A friend in Spain finally got one by having a cousin in Florida buy it, and fedex it over to him!

The only one I know that is regularly available on this side is 'Akikaze nishiki'.

I'd be buying all those Mr Maple pictums in a hot minute, if I could!!

23. Worldly_Wrangler

The Mr. Maple nursery is located in a warm climate so perhaps they use Acer truncatum understock for that reason. I’m just guessing.

The other consideration is that Acer platanoides roots have gained a reputation for being shallow and invasive, so maybe they are trying to avoid using it for that reason.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  24. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Sorry D only just seen this, yes start a new thread for this.

D

25. LoverOfMaples

It's ok. Thanks D.