high water, the good, the bad, the ugly

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

As many members know, we had horrific flooding in BC the past month. Very serious in the sumas flats which is approx 15 km's from our home. We are on the north side of one of the major rivers ( Vedder) and protected via an extensive diking system. Although we did not experience any severe flooding, we did however receive overland water from the 230 mm of rain that fell on the first event in early November when it all started. In our 37 years on the property we have never seen this volume of rain. Our home and out buildings remained dry but our green house was covered with 10" ( 25cm) of water for approx 3 days. As a result we lost a number of young grafts that I did this summer as they were covered with water for the extended period. The root stock itself is all robust and healthy once again but the fragile grafts did perish. I believe we may have approx 10 remaining now which will be pampered thru out the winter.

All large container JM's were fine including many container grown herbs and roses. Also some of our less hardy plants all survived the excess water which was great to see. Ornimental grasses all did fine, all potted strawberries are still thriving even though they were completely submerged.

Now time to clean things up and pressure wash the brick ladden walk spaces to remove silt and residue.
    Several small birds flew into our green house as well and seemed to remain inside for two days ( several finches and even a pair of hummingbirds). That was the most surprising thing as normally they always fly away when we enter the green house. It was almost as if they were there to cheer us up with there chirping and constant flying. They were also feeding on the raised bed herbs and plants that remained dry.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Really good to hear that you are both safe and well Otto. Quite an awful experience you had . Glad that you only had a few casualties from your grafts. It could have been a lot worse by the sound if it. Sadly it appears that this is going to be the norm now rather than the exception, so it is time for preparations for future Winters like this.

D

D

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Too bad. So much effort lost in a couple of days...

4. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

That's horrible, but good to hear the damage is reasonable. Did you have any maples in the ground that survived it?

Funny anecdote. I was looking on Google Maps where the "Vedder" is and found out South West Canada... And from the topographics on there I thought to myself... damn... it must be so nice to live there (compared to flat and busy Belgium).

So I just zoomed in on a random street and looked at a random house and look what I found ;)

My hypothesis is confirmed. Too bad now I want to go to Canada... that will cost me loads of money I could have spent on maples.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Georgia Strait and Otto Bjornson like this.
  5. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

We had several mature specimens under water in our back garden but all of them were fine. The maples can handle that heavy moisture especially during their dormant cycle. The water dropped pretty much overnight and into the next day in our area.