Winter is here...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Nov 27, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

... so this forum may go into a kind of dormancy, at least to some point.

We can still post photos of the most interesting barks, or leafless trees.

Those who have collected seeds can also share their methods and eperience.

I'm a bit shy about repotting now, especially since some of my trees (bonsai or others) are in small or shallow pots. Even if they can stand -20° when in the ground (and it never happens here), when the rootball stays frozen for several days, more than 2 weeks, they may die. Not very likely in the Loire valley, but who knows.

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Winter came last night to the North of England courtesy of storm Arwen , still blowing as i write this, bitter wind chill. First picture from 3 am this morning a huge clattering went past the front garden and woke me up , turned out to be a fence panel from some where, then second pic from the back garden bit of a surprise ??

Attached Files:

Romain01, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Did you do OK in the storm Mark? Hearing some harrowing tales from folk up in the North, winds in the 90 mph and lots of damage...

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Emery we were thankfully just that little bit further down , seemed to hit really bad from Northumberland upwards then going right into the east coast of Scotland.But saying that we had the snow storm from nowhere this afternoon , just came down and didn't stop !!! A few pics from this evening and a weather warning from the Yorkshire area :) :)

Attached Files:

5. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

Winter also brings the steep discounts -- just picked up a bare (but vigorous-looking) 3 gallon Red Dragon for $15 at my local nursery!

6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

We got -15º C on Thursday and -20º C is expected on Monday. Only 2 cm of snow so far, so my subtropical plants will be in danger. They predicted snow for this weekend, starting from Friday noon, but there was only some flakes dropping from the clouds. I had to snatch some snow from a small pile at the end my street, to insulate my Brown Turkey and Ronde de Bordeaux figs. Usually I never take any snow form outside of my garden, despite they don't use chemicals in these smaller roads and streets of this district. But this year my figs had still green tops, when I prepared them for winter, and I had to take measures to avoid die back from frost.

dicky5ash and opusoculi like this.