The Like button - request to remove it

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Nik, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Dear forums moderators, @Daniel Mosquin , @wcutler , @Acerholic , @AlainK , @Eric La Fountaine , @Michael F , and the ones I have not encountered..
    The ‘ like’ feature on these forums is going to be detrimental in the long run.
    Please consider removing it. There really isn’t any need for it. Actual positive responses are much better.
    (This is prompted by the recent development with Facebook, a company I despise, and hold responsible for the overall deterioration of societies around the globe. What is next, virtual gardening, metagardening?)

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have no strong like or dislike for the 'like' feature but I would be interested to know how it is going to be detrimental in the long run.

AlainK likes this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

AlainK likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

6. AlainK

Bullshit, c'est de la merde, to jest guwno, etc. <LOL>

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  7. Margot

I really don't see how the Like feature on the UBC Forums could become a problem as it apparently is on Facebook - but I'm not a Facebook user and don't know much about it. From what I can tell, Daniel and the moderators have very good control over this website and I think it's very unlikely that they will expand Likes to enable “buttons that encourage users to engage easily and often”.

I do understand the concern though. Just watching and listening to MZ on the YouTube video above gave me the creeps.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The problem with Likes is there is no associated discussion of the content, unless those doing it choose also to comment. With viewers otherwise being left to guess what about the content was Likeable in each instance.

9. Margot

Speaking only for myself, I 'like' comments for pretty obvious reasons - in the case of photos, I admire the photos or, in the case of an opinion or answer, I agree with what was written. It's a quick way to express approval for straightforward posts. When I think something could be expanded on or if I have a question, that calls for a separate comment.

It could get very cumbersome for people to communicate appreciation for photos especially if there was no 'Like' option. Imagine in the Maples Forum for example if everyone who enjoys the photos often posted there had to write a message instead of just hitting 'Like' - you could have a long string of messages all saying basically the same thing. It would also clog up the 'New Posts' list with repetitious messages.

Earlier, I said that I had no strong opinion about the 'Likes' feature but now I've thought about it more, I would hate to see it eliminated.

AlainK and Georgia Strait like this.
  10. Nik

Nik Contributor

My husband had to put his AirPods on and listen to his podcasts.. he cannot stand the voice of MZ. I wanted to hear all the nonsense.

Earlier today I joined another forum. All about gardening. No ‘like’ option. It was so much better. Just exchange of opinions and beautiful pictures online. All it is supposed to be. Not a‘social network’. I loved it without having to click ‘like’.

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Note that I renamed the thread, as after I moved it, the original title made no sense, and it didn't say what the thread is about, which it needed to do now.
    Note also, as an aside, that you don't need to worry about posting something in the "wrong" place - if a moderator thinks it's better somewhere else, it will get moved. No need to make that your problem.

12. wcutler

Ha-ha!
    The (3) Cheering ourselves up with Maples | UBC Botanical Garden Forums thread with almost 6000 postings, at a very conservative five Likes per posting, would have 30,000 postings.

Georgia Strait, Xi-feng and Margot like this.
  13. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

'Having to'?

Was unaware that this was, or is, a requirement for UBC forum members.

Nik, you do not have to click 'Like'. If you can, simply ignore the icon.
    (And MZ, as well.)
    This is UBC, not FB---hallelujah for that!

Georgia Strait and Margot like this.
  14. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The button has its uses. I agree with what @Ron B and @Margot said in posts #8 and #9 and would therefore normally 'Like' both posts; making a separate post just to say 'Ditto' would not contribute to the conversation. At other times, 'Like' can be used to simply acknowledge having read someone's response. I would much prefer for someone to 'Like' my response to their query than to have them not communicate at all, leaving me to wonder if the post had been received. Mind you, in that instance I can't be sure the person actually liked my response or was just acknowledging receipt.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  15. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I do NOT use Facebook or Quora or Instagram or …

I agree with feedback about how - for example - the maples thread would have x number of replies saying “wow” or “like” when really the little thumbs up is sufficient

I use LIKE for a couple of reasons depending
    on the thread

example 1: in virtual garden tour — lots of gorgeous photos and clearly effort - Like indicates I appreciate the photos and esp appreciate someone’s effort to create garden, photo it, and share

the other long neighborly thread is about WEATHER - I care that other people around the oceans are in a heatwave or rain river etc … I am interested in their observations - so I Like (it doesn’t mean I like that their garden is flooded or power is out)

example 2: this type of thread might be a wise contributor’s reply to one of the “learning
    to garden” questions about moving a special plant for example

So wise contributor might say - wait until October when rains start in coastal Pac NW

I happen to agree - and since there is no Agree button, I click Like

overall I like this forum — I like that people can respect others and ask questions and don’t get caught up in spelling errors and other pedantica (yes please correct me if I have mis-spelled a plant name etc)

- largely - there is academic oversight (supervision) which I appreciate

good question - I “like” :) that it helped me re-visit my choice to participate here vs any number of other general sites (I am not a member of a species club or master gardener etc)

thank you everyone for your ideas.

PS - yes, there is the acknowledging receipt use of like —— I find it similar to texting on iPhone where I can send the heart or thumbs up to indicate - got it etc

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Margot likes this.
  16. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

'Like' is being used by members for a number of disparate reasons. Therefore its aggregation results in a number that conveys no useful information. It then follows that 'Likes Received' should perhaps not be displayed under a member's avatar. In fact its presence may encourage some to post messages with the goal of soliciting a high number of likes in seeking a false sense of approval.

17. Margot

That is a valid point @Jungledeeper but, to me, the value of 'Likes' is in what I am able to give, not what I get. I think for most of us who post often, we take it in stride . . . I can't think of anyone who contributes frequently who could be accused of seeking a false sense of approval.

18. wcutler

I started this before Margot replied, but I'm several layers down now in research that started as related but is now way off.
    I think I like that idea. Some people who do unfailingly helpful postings might also feel bad about having relatively fewer Likes.
    However, I've discovered a thread from 2015 in which the ability was requested to be able to see how many Likes people have.
    Likes given or received | UBC Botanical Garden Forums

There were some opinions expressed here about Likes vs. replies:
    Poll: is a Like as good as a Thank-you? | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    There were not a lot of responders, but more of the responders in that thread seemed to favour replies over Likes. Daniel Mosquin wrapped it up by saying we have the choice.

Margot likes this.
  19. Margot

As someone who posts a fair number of 'helpful postings', I care not a whit if they are 'liked' or not. What I like is the satisfaction of helping others answer questions or solve problems.

You know, I probably should not say this, but I notice that people, generally speaking, are getting more and more sensitive these days and so, quite frankly, I would hate to see us overthinking this whole issue. The UBC Forums is in the business of gardeners helping gardeners. Whether or not we are properly 'liked' or 'thanked' is irrelevant.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik, good evening Nik. I'm afraid I can't agree with your request. My reason being is that I have spoken to many on the forum on PMs who state that they do not have the time to reply to all the messages and so use the like button to show appreciation for someones efforts to convey a message or post photos for others enjoyment.
    I have struggled myself to be over involved on the forum over the past couple of months, but the like button has allowed me to say to the poster thankyou and I enjoyed what you posted. Yourself included.

So IMO let's leave it as it is

D

Margot likes this.
  21. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, no worries. Leave it as it is seems to be the prevailing opinion.

Margot likes this.
  22. AlainK

Not me, but I agree.

Margot likes this.
  23. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's great to have so many people interested in the topic. I don't perceive any harm by it -- and usually interpret it as a thank you to someone making an effort.

Margot and wcutler like this.
  24. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I will add that likes are a factor in user titles (whether one agrees with user titles or not)... but all but the Paragon user title can be achieved with 0 likes (it needs 250 likes and 10000 posts).

Margot likes this.
  25. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thank you Daniel - i have always wondered about the likes and nickname titles and if there’s a connection

i just like the opportunity to be here and learn from so many interesting contributors

Margot likes this.