Westonbirt arboretum 21/10/2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Oct 22, 2021.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Here’s a few snaps off my phone.

I’d strongly recommend anyone that hasn’t been to go..and if you have been do go again! I’m going again in a few weeks time..there’s even more colour to be had.

Batsford is not that far away - another great venue and also free to Friends of Westonbirt members

Attached Files:

2. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

Really nice!

Have the colors in the Japanese Maple glade started to show yet? Or for now the colors have mostly only changed in the Old Arboretum part (Acer Glade)? In the past I've noticed a bit of a delay between the two sections

maf likes this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Also noted this in the past, haven't been there for a few years though.

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

The colours are definitely in full swing in Acee glade/silk wood and the old arboretum. I think there is a bit more to come from some of the Palmatum trees..they have changed but not all are full on “nuclear” quite yet. I have been previously when the Palmatums are at their very best but a lot of the Japonicum’s have dropped, so it was nice seeing the Japonicum’s this time round. I might go again next weekend.

ChrisUk and maf like this.
  5. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

I went to the arboretum today (and 8 days ago). Today's visit was definitely the best colour-wise.
    All the red acers have finally fully turned with very vibrant colors! The good of thing of arriving there early is to have the place almost for ourselves.
    I'll try to post of few pictures tomorrow.

For once, I've paid attention to the labels, and in the Japanese Collection section, they definitely have LOTS of different named cultivars! Definitely way way more than in the Acer Glade/Silk Wood part.

dicky5ash likes this.